What to do in cairo

i moved to cairo from scotland just under 2 months ago to settle here and look for work.

the job hunting has been a bit slow what with the lead up to ramadan and i find not everyone here gets back in touch to acknowledge applications received etc.

i have also been looking for volunteering opportunities but i cannot seem to find enough information on organisations that need volunteers.

i have visited most of the tourist attractions and now find im very bored and have nothing to fill my time.

any suggestions?

try to meet new friends and go out with them

well their are other places to visit and people to meet??

Welcome to Expat.com, Stella786 :)
You could maybe check out Cairo's Classifieds -> Jobs section or even insert an ad yourself, mentioning your qualifications. There is also an NGO section you might check!
Cheers
Arlette

stella786 wrote:

i moved to cairo from scotland just under 2 months ago to settle here and look for work.

the job hunting has been a bit slow what with the lead up to ramadan and i find not everyone here gets back in touch to acknowledge applications received etc.

i have also been looking for volunteering opportunities but i cannot seem to find enough information on organisations that need volunteers.

i have visited most of the tourist attractions and now find im very bored and have nothing to fill my time.

any suggestions?

Cairo is a place where you can t be bored anytime! Here the time flows quickly, even you don t have time to breath during day.
So if you have enough money that comes from somewhere or you have a permanent sponsor, you could enjoy your time here!
If not, you should be very careful and to secure yourself, here people talk too much and do exactly nothing, and the worst, they will try to induce you in error with promises, and to put you in very big problems just to get you easily, for nothing! The rule is " What can t get, it should be destroyed!" Most foreigners live in their " crystal ball", they don t have too much relation with Egyptians, they try to avoid conflicts with them.
So, not having a job here it is a real adventure! I hope you could understand this!
Getting a job!
Most NGO are like private companies. They will feel happy to find volunteers that work for nothing! But I think it s important to have a paid job.
Here it s a link to all NGO with their address email, phones ...
http://unpan1.un.org/intradoc/groups/pu … 014964.pdf
If you can t open the link, let me to know, I will send to you a word document, the document needs Adobe Reader for being opened.
For a job , also you should try American Chamber, Recruitment Center , it is the best one
http://www.amcham.org.eg/online_services/recruitment/
And depends on your profession you should follow another sites!
So, think twice and get the best decision!
Here people don t borrow and don t ask for anything, usually!Most people don t give you a right idea about what really happens! To come in Egypt just for making friends, that have their own interests concerning you...  I think it s not your goal in your life.
Good luck!

Greetings,

For a career job, there is the labor law which defines ratio of foreigner vs. local employees. So, you will need exceptional qualifications/ skills/ traits/ packaging to secure one.

And like someone smart once said - "If ya can't find a job, create one" :|

That said - some jobs websites below (I haven't visited 'em sites in a while - hope the links are live)

A mixed jumble of entry-level and management job sites --

jobsinegypt.com/Job/index.asp
learn4good.com/jobs/language/english/list/country/egypt/
jobs.ameinfo.com/
egyrec.com/
devnetjobs.org
(search 'Egypt')
careermideast.com/en/Seeker/JobSearchResult.aspx?Params=,,,,0,0,0,,0,0,,0&C=40,&UC=155,186,74,77,97,203,113,212,549,231,149,236,
naukrigulf.com/ni/nijobsearch/loc-jobs-egypt/
jobs13.bayt.com/job/jobs-in-egypt.adp
eg.tiptopjob.com/search/tiptopresults.asp
business.maktoob.com/Jobs.aspx?Type=2&Cou=59
eg.jobcrawler.biz/jc/search.jsp?k=&l=&paese=EG&p=1&lingua=UK

This, based on assumptions - there may be short-term (contract ) opportunities in the event management/ exhibitions/ space. Discriminating 'for' foreign women.

Wish you the best.

thanks for the info and the advice guys...will check out these links.

appreciate the responses

welcome again.
As explained before, you can visit
arab-expo.org
If interested and ready for spending serious time while cooperating with mentioned organization, be known recommendation is available.
Regarding social services provided via ROTARY CLUBS, you can join any of them. Also, assistance available when needed, specialy South Maadi ROTARY Club.
Good Luck.
Dr. IMIG

I understand what you are saying ...Egypt is very slow! and the economy here sucks! I am bored as well ive been here for 7 years...Im egyptian but have lived in the states for most of my life and i can honestly say that egypt isnt a good place to live :( Anyone looking to hangout message me :)

Can i know based on what you are saying Egypt isn't a good place to live ? I don't understand why are u so excited to meet Americans ? What does the economy has to do ?
I agree that it's more slower here to find a job, but that does not mean that Egypt is not a good place to live ! Egypt is a beautiful place to live

I agree, it's a beautiful country to live and work..., grab the salary, finish the contract and fly away.
G.

Hey Stella, where in Cairo are you living?

If you are in Maadi, my former employer offers volunteer opportunities. (Close to subway station too, so you could also get here from elsewhere in Cairo).

Please feel free to send me a private message and I will send you the necessary contact information and details :)

Hi...where r u in Cairo?

Want to Teach middle school students English and Social Studies? I am looking to fill this position ASAP. Talk to you soon.
Agnes

Hello ahbanya :)

For job offer, you should also post an advert under Cairo classifieds by selecting the Jobs section.

Regards,
Sheetul

Hello Stella :)

There is a job offer for an English teacher at a British College In Mohandeseen.

Feel Free to send me a private message and I will send you all the details :)

i wonder if parents realize that their kids' teachers have like no educational background, its that easy to be a teacher here.

ahbanya wrote:

Want to Teach middle school students English and Social Studies? I am looking to fill this position ASAP. Talk to you soon.
Agnes

EmersedShark wrote:

There is a job offer for an English teacher at a British College In Mohandeseen.

Can you give me the location of this school? Is it IGCSE? I only know of Dar-el-Tarbia school in Mohandeseen.

momobuffy wrote:

I understand what you are saying ...Egypt is very slow! and the economy here sucks! I am bored as well ive been here for 7 years...Im egyptian but have lived in the states for most of my life and i can honestly say that egypt isnt a good place to live :( Anyone looking to hangout message me :)

I am so ready to bet that you have never even been out of Egypt, right?

man you and your fellows are the reason of these words

valibilic wrote:

Here the here people talk too much and do exactly nothing, and the worst, they will try to induce you in error with promises, and to put you in very big problems just to get you easily, for nothing! The rule is " What can t get, it should be destroyed!"

became the best explanation for our behavior.

and for all the other foreigners or Natives, I know and convinced that you know how real Egyptians are. Its not about Egyptians its just about humans and you can find that exact type of human that you hate every where in the world but its just soooooo obvious in Egypt, especially Cairo and so many as well.

check out cairo360.com
u'll find lots of places to go there

thanks for the responses guys and im happy to say i am past that stage now.  i have got used to cairo, got a teaching job at a school which i enjoy and i have moved to a new place in new cairo.  been working for about 3 months now.  no matter what the negatives about cairo...im just glad im here at the moment and not in scotland what with the big freeze the country is going thru.