Visiting Malta from Canada. May want to move. Descent? Family Members?

Hello,

I'm currently living in Canada (Canadian citizenship only), so I understand I'm a TCN (Third Country National). However, I am eligible to claim Maltese citizenship by descent (already been in contact with officials about this - and getting the ball rolling). However, if I came to Malta to visit, am I able to stay past 90 days? I am unsure of that as I have family members in Malta as well (aunt, uncles & cousins etc), so could my stay be extended with their help or am I out of luck?

Just trying to consider my options.

Thank you!

Hi CanadianMan,

if your relatives are important enough and influential in Malta you might be lucky.

But for 'normal folks' the answer to your question of extending the visa is no. Schengen visa are not extendable.

Cheers
Ricky

Thanks, Ricky.

I was curious I guess on extended stays I would need to apply for temporary residence? Isn't there some kind of visa I could get since I have EU family members that are Maltese citizens?

Sorry just wondering as I saw something related to that. Would Maltese officials even consider allowing a TCN to stay longer than 90 days? I wish Canada was part of the EU or some kind of Commonwealth agreement would make things easier lol.

Hi CanadianMan,

no, they won't even consider letting you overstay the 90 days. Schengen visa's are 'European' visa's whereas residency is a national issue and can be determined by Malta.

I can say that from personal experience with my American girlfriend ( I'm an EU citizen).

You will have to apply for temporary residency to stay longer.

Cheers
Ricky

Thanks, Ricky!

Guess ill wait for my citizenship. : )

Thnx again for your help.