Cheap shopping in Cairo?

I know there is a big mall in Cairo and I know that there are street markets, but I'm looking for something more like a WalMart or Tesco or something.

I arrive in 7 days for graduate school.  I'll be there for a few years and will need some things like pillows, sheets, forks and plates, etc.  Just basic home stuff.  Where can I go to get these necessity items as I will want many the day I arrive or the next.

Any help would be appreciated!   
Thanks
Randy

Randy welcome to Cairo,

I hope you find your stay pleasant .

If i were a seasoned shopper here, i would go to the area referred to as western ballad where you can haggle a bit over prices.

You most likely will find all the items you need located in one of the malls like carrefor they have a fair selection with decent prices. it depends also where you will be living, what decent store will be the nearest.

Carrefour is a great place to find good deals on food items, and certain home accessories. That is definitely the first place I would try.

Also try to go during the hour of Iftar, when Muslims are breaking their fast at the end of the day (when the sun goes down :) ) This is the best time to get around in Carrefour without feeling that you have to battle through throngs of people.

thank you!  I'll be sure to check out Carrefor.  what area of town is it in?  I'll be staying in New Cairo just outside Cairo on the east side.

Thanks again!

ranmarsh wrote:

thank you!  I'll be sure to check out Carrefor.  what area of town is it in?  I'll be staying in New Cairo just outside Cairo on the east side.

Thanks again!

it may be about a ten minute drive from new cairo on the ring road going toward maadi

ranmarsh
There is also another store that is local.
It is called Omar Effendi, all the products there are made in Egypt.

when you get here you might be intrested in a social mixer i'm trying to organize. Check the link
https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=42086

Hi Ranmarsh and welcome to Egypt (BTW, get used to hearing that phrase, it will be shouted at you a lot!)

In addition to the stores mentioned there is also Spinneys supermarket which is inside CityStars mall in Heliopolis. While this is further away from where you'll be in New Cairo, it might be worth a look if you're in the area. Be warned though, it's very busy, especially at the weekend.
Also take into account that some of these shops close for prayers on Friday, which is at about 12 pm at the moment.

For ease - and maybe if you are lucky to find all that you need on one stop - and getting a taxi is not problem neither is parking - I would definitely go to Carrefour.
There are many areas in Cairo where you could go to the more local areas to buy what you want - but unless you are very savvy you will pay top price and make the vendors very happy!! also you have to lug what you have bought around with you.
Omar effendi is not bad - but I find the styles are not to my taste, also sometimes I find that the wuality leaves something to be desired!
ANyway happy shopping and hope you find what you want quickly.
Having arrived in a country with nothing but my suitcase before - before you come write some lists: what you need straight away, what you can wait a little time for, and waht you can shop around for - otherwise you try to buy everything all at once and either end up with things you don't really like, or you forget something important!!!

I totally agree with biffy.
Your best store is Carrefour. There are a few of them in Cairo but the nearest to you would be - Exact location is in Al Miraag City on the Ring Road between Katamya and Maadi. It is on the main road so you can not miss it.
I bought almost everything from this store when I arrived in Cairo 3 months ago. Very convenient for me as I now live within walking distance from it. You will be able to buy home appliances (fridge, washing machine, cooker/oven, dish washer, TV etc). You will also be able to buy everything for your kitchen. Pillows, bed sheets/covers all are available there as well.
The only stuff you won't be able to get is furniture though. for beds & mattresses, sofas, dining table, chairs and the rest you need to go somewhere else like 'Home Centre' which is also located on Ring Rd, Inside Baron Centre (not far from Carrefour). There are a few more furniture stores in Cairo but you need to look for the quality and the style of furniture you are after.
Good luck

the grand mall in maadi isnt bad for prices. especially the 1LE stores for cosmetics and other small household items. :-D