Any US citizen having problems receiving social security disability ?

I receive social security disability here in the US. I am moving to Brasil. Just wondering how anyone is receiving payments in Brasil.

Money goes into US account and then you withdraw here using your debit card at an ATMs.

To my knowledge there are no Direct Deposit Agreements between either the USA or Canadian government with Brazil, due to Central Bank (Brazil) regulations on money entering the country. I have been in the unfortunate position of having had my Canadian account closed due to inactivity and now that I'm receiving Canada Pension Plan benefits I get a check in the mail here in Brazil (when they don't disappear in the mail that is). The only light that I have at the end of the tunnel is that the last time I spoke with a Service Canada rep she told me that Canada expects to put in place a Direct Deposit Agreement with Brazil sometime this coming spring. (Please Lord!!!)

Cashing foreign checks here in Brazil is a nightmare you don't even want to know about, trust me. Have your Social Security payments deposited to a US account and just use the ATMs here to withdraw money, you'll save yourself a great headache.

Cheers,
James        Expat-blog Experts Team

Which US bank do you use, or better yet which would you recommend ?. I am asking because I currently belong to a credit union which will probably charge large fees if I can even use my debit card. I will change all of my direct deposits to a US bank that is user friendly in Brasil.

Preferably you should be using a bank that operates both in the USA and in Brazil, like Citibank, HSBC or TD Bank. The reason for this will be the improved access to ATMs here in Brazil. Many banks that don't have operations here really will limit the number of ATMs that are available to you. For example if you have an HSBC account then you can use any of the ATMs at any HSBC branch in Brazil, as well as any in the Banco 30 Horas network in public places such as shopping centers and convenience stores. With many banks you can only use ATMs at Banco do Brasil or Bradesco and only specific machines that bear the network logo.

Cheers,
James             Expat-blog Experts Team