How to get fingerprinted for a Criminal Record Check in Brazil?

Anand412 wrote:

Hello all,

So is it true now that if you marry a Brazilian, all that is necessary is a declaration of no criminal convictions?

Do you mean just to get married, or for Permanent Residency in Brazil, a CRNM?  I am not sure of your question. Can you be more specific?

What do you mean about the lifting of the days in Brazil.

The declaration is not good enough, is there anyway past this?

Anand412 wrote:

The declaration is not good enough, is there anyway past this?

Yes, an FBI background check. I did mine in the USA 2 months ago, the paperwork was done online, very fast and easy, and then have to submit fingerprints.  For me, I went to a US Post Office and I was finished in like 15 minutes. Both have a separate charge. The results were in my email before I got home.  I am sure you can do the paperwork online in Brazil I'm just not sure about the fingerprinting. I printed off the results and sent them into the Consulte, they were just fine with that.

Anand412 wrote:

What do you mean about the lifting of the days in Brazil.

From the start of COVID in Brazil, the PF have been waiving our maximum length of stays, per our individual visas, and visa types. People have been allowed to overstay their visas without fees or penalties, again, only during COVID. This is now coming to an end, changing back to the way it has been before. For example, without or without a tourist visa, tourists from the USA have only been allowed to stay in Brazil for 90-days at any one time.  If you stay in Brazil, for any reason, without an authorized extension from the PF, you have overstayed your visa and will be charged, and possibly fined. It could actually result in your being denied re-entry into Brazil the next time you are flying into an airport. 

Overstaying a visa is a bad thing, I highly advise against this.

I was recently married in Brazil to my Brazilian husband. We planned it and it took place over the pandemic in Brazil. My visa will now be expired once the left is intact. We were married at a cartorio. What are the next steps, do I wait til the year mark on my marriage. We also planned on me becoming a citizen here. What should I do now, I'm fully supported by my husband and also have the funds to establish ourselves here. Do I need to apply for anything now? As much advice as possible is grateful.
Thank you and be well

What were the names of the three companies? How fast is the process.

Anand412 wrote:

I was recently married in Brazil to my Brazilian husband. We planned it and it took place over the pandemic in Brazil. My visa will now be expired once the left is intact. We were married at a cartorio. What are the next steps, do I wait til the year mark on my marriage. We also planned on me becoming a citizen here. What should I do now, I'm fully supported by my husband and also have the funds to establish ourselves here. Do I need to apply for anything now? As much advice as possible is grateful.
Thank you and be well

Just getting married in Brazil does not change your prior visa status or legal length of stay, exactly like the USA. If you entered Brazil as a tourist having a 90-day maximum stay, then you are still a tourist, just a married one. The Police Federal have been waiving over-stays on visas because of COVID, until now.  Now then, starting this November, they will be returning to their prior regulations about visa stay periods,.  A tourist from the USA can only stay in Brazil for 90-days, not including this Covid time since March. I do not recommend overstaying any visa length as the PF are not happy, righfully so.  The Cartorio, to the best of my knowledge, does not even register you with the Police Federal.  When I was married, and registered with the Cartorio in SP, they did not send any information to the Police Federal. If you intend to stay, you need a different visa, just as you would in the USA.  This is done through the Police Federal.  Our problem here is that they have for the most part been closed because of COVID. So, it is at this point I would HIGHLY recommend you seek help there as there are potentially hundreds, if not thousands of agencies that specialize in this

Anand412 wrote:

What were the names of the three companies? How fast is the process.

There are LOTS of immigration, visa companies to assist you, I know a couple, but I hesitate to recommend anyone.  After many, many years, the visa process completely changed in Brazil during 2017.  There is no more RNE as everyone knew it.  Today, the Visas are numbered, Roman Numerals.  When you marry a Brazilian, the Visa is called a VITEM XI, for Family Reunification. This visa leads to the application for what is now called a CRNM, Permanent Residency. Prior to COVID, this process was 2 to 4 months, after applying with the Police Federal, still MUCH MUCH faster than in the USA, with about 1/10 of the pap0erwork, and incredibly less expensive

Hello,
A quick question.  Because all the Immigration laws have changed.  Where do I get my finger prints done?  I live in Brazil.  The FBI form FD-258 does not appear to ask for a title or organization, just a signature.  Can I get them done at The Cartorio?  Local Police?  My Attorneys office?

I am planning to return to the USA as soon as the election is settled, just to get this done.  Ive heard though that the FBI is swamped with criminal background checks due to the tsunami of individuals buying guns these days ......

Can you send me a link to the VITEM XI application, also the link where it says that the covid lift will be removed. Thank you very much

chistletoe wrote:

I am planning to return to the USA as soon as the election is settled, just to get this done.  Ive heard though that the FBI is swamped with criminal background checks due to the tsunami of individuals buying guns these days ......

That was what I did, when I was preparing my naturalization documentation.   Because I was on a tight schedule, I went with an Approved Channeller, Accurate Biometrics in my case, since I lived in the Chicago Area; others are probably similar.

They did the fingerprinting electronically at their office, and turned the background check around in a day or two.  They also (for a fee, of course!) provided both a hard copy and a downloadable electronic copy, which I was able to send to an apostille service that returned an apostiled copy to me for submission.

Anand412 wrote:

Can you send me a link to the VITEM XI application, also the link where it says that the covid lift will be removed. Thank you very much

If, as you've stated above, you're already in Brazil and married to a Brazilian, yours is not a visa case anymore.  You and your husband need to go to the Polícia Federal and request Authorization for Permanent Residency.

Awesome for you.  However going back to the USA isn't an option at the moment.  So I still need to get the finger prints taken here, and have no idea what my options are. 
Thanks in advance for anyone willing to help.

Hi there: please go to your nearest civil police & request your fingerprints. Have them stamp, sign & date the 2 sets of form 258? I had mine done in Pocos de Caldas & they were very accommodating & pleasant. I got my record in no time flat using an approved FBI channeler, Vetconnex.com. Excellent service. Please mail your fingerprints to them & be surprised. Next, Vetconnex will send your results to a US address & from there you have to send it to Monument Visa, who without delay, will get it apostilled in double time. I cannot say enuf about their service & courtesy. They calm your fears & put your anxiety to rest. Kudos to Monument!! Boa sorte!!

My recent FBI check for my new VITEM XI was completed by the FBI within minutes of submission at the US Post Office, Wilsonville Oregon, where my finger prints were taken. I live in Oregon and have had a CHL, Concealed Handgon License for over 30-years. FBI background checks here for gun slales for me are currently also completed in minutes, before the paperwork can even be completed at the point of sale.  For the most part, it is fisrt-time buyers that are slowing down the FBI system, for the rest of us, it's business as usual.

I do not have a US address or access to one.  Every piece of mail sent to me, 20plus pieces, has not made it to me.  Tracking number or not, every piece of mail has been lost or stolen.

RFeiring wrote:

I do not have a US address or access to one.  Every piece of mail sent to me, 20plus pieces, has not made it to me.  Tracking number or not, every piece of mail has been lost or stolen.

I sure would look into US Global Mail
https://www.usglobalmail.com/personal/m … r_id=20382
You can have scanned and you can read PDF. Lower rates on DHL/FedEx, US Post Office....
I read the US postal service pulled out of many countries due many airlines stopped flying

I've been using US Global Mail for almost three years now, and have been very satisfied with them. 

I have received non-essential mail directly from the US  to my Brazilian address - only papers, nothing of monetary value or time sensitivity -- and it has arrived, but only after a LOOOOOOOONG time.

Same here. All mail is scanned and I print here. CC's and important doc are shipped normally 6 days,
They have the option to deposit checks also.

I recommend all US ExPats check your last 2 states you lived in for the unclaimed property. I checked last month and found 2 insurance refunds on the house and car. I claimed from the state and they mailed it to US address only, would not mail international. Used US Global and deposted in the US bank.

Só I was just at the Polícia Federal to do the fingerprints on the DD 258, and they told me that the form had to be translated. Is this true? Apparently by an official translator too. I got one quote for R400! I just want to confirm that that is what I really have to do or if the police couldn't be bothered to do the fingerprinting today

Cortes1999 wrote:

Só I was just at the Polícia Federal to do the fingerprints on the DD 258, and they told me that the form had to be translated. Is this true? Apparently by an official translator too. I got one quote for R400! I just want to confirm that that is what I really have to do or if the police couldn't be bothered to do the fingerprinting today

See Wazzup's post, higher up in the thread.  Go to the local Civil Police, not the Federal Police.

I tried the Polícia civil a few hours ago, no such luck. They just pointed me to the Polícia Federal.

Cortes1999 wrote:

I tried the Polícia civil a few hours ago, no such luck. They just pointed me to the Polícia Federal.

That's very strange.  What city and state are you in?  You don't list any in your profile.

I'm in Belo Horizonte. Funny enough I had absolutely zero problems getting my CPF today with only my passport, no proof of residency or birth certificate or even a Brazilian phone number. But I've been walking up and down steep Mineira hills from one Polícia to the next the last two days.

Cortes1999 wrote:

I'm in Belo Horizonte. Funny enough I had absolutely zero problems getting my CPF today with only my passport, no proof of residency or birth certificate or even a Brazilian phone number. But I've been walking up and down steep Mineira hills from one Polícia to the next the last two days.

Have you tried this place?  In most Brazilian capitals, it would be the most likely to fingerprint you:

https://www.mg.gov.br/instituicao_unida … ntificacao

I'm confused but I will share my experience.
For residence visa I had a fingerprint check done in Canadá. I translated it.

I was told that I would need a USA(FBI) fingerprint check as well. (I had lived there during the last 5 years.). Although I applied for this , but had not received it), my residence visa was approved without it.

On line I used a police federal form to declare I had a clean record in Brazil.
I was fingerprinted by the police federal as part of the visa process.

My birth certificate was not translated but was accepted. ALL other documents were translated.
Soooo. There is variability in the process. Depends on the police federal employees discretion. (Not so different from others countries).
Don't know if this is of any help to you.

Interesting. I'll go try there right now and then report back

How long ago did you go through the process? From my research it sounds like at some point in 2017/2018 they started requiring the FBI background check on top of the declaration of no criminal history.

See it would make some sense for a birth certificate to be translated, but all they want translated JUREMENTADA is the DD 258 form. The form that they aren't even going to process or keep. I don't know if the girl behind the desk was confused or didn't want to help me, but all the form asks for from them is to do the fingerprint and sign it.

I noticed on the FBI website nor on the Channeler website does it say anything about getting a stamp or even being *required* to have it done by law enforcement. It just says "if possible, have local law enforcement do it".

It has always been FBI background checks for USA.
I was lucky. I had been to the PF so many times in the first year and when it came time for a background check the agent fingerprinted me and I mailed it to the FBI and had it back in 3 weeks.
Many use channelers to do the checks and no issues.
D

Prior to the current Law of Migration taking effect in November 2017, the decision on Permanent Visas (VIPER) was made by the Foreign Ministry, and processed through the Brazilian Consulate Generals around the world.  In principle, the Justice Ministry had veto power, but in fact VIPERs were often processed too quickly to make that power meaningful.  Consulates did not (and ordinarily do not) required translation of documents in the language of their countries of responsibility, and often did not require apostilles, either.  When VIPER holders arrived in Brazil, the Federal Police were required to issue them their permanent ID, without demanding any further documentation. 

I arrived in Brazil (from the United States) on one of the last VIPERS.  The Consulate required a FBI Background Check, but no apostille, and no translations.  The Federal Police had to issue me my CIE (now CRNM) on the basis of the Protocolo from the Consulate; I could tell that they weren't happy about it.

The new Law of Migration abolished VIPER going forward, although those granted in 2017 and prior continued to be valid.  After November 2017, Consulates only issue temporary visas for initial admission to Brazil, and the Justice Ministry, through the Federal Police, has total and final authority on granting or refusing residency.  After a few early months of adjustment, the Federal Police has standardized its list of required documents and has become accustomed to Brazil's  recent (only since 2016) participation in the Apostille Convention; the legal requirement for Sworn Translations of foreign documents to give them legal recognition in Brazil dates back to 1916, so they're certain to expect that.

I did my own fingerprints for the fbi. There are YouTube s to help you.   The fbi web site was very clear in what to do.

I was told that I neede the fbi check as well as the rcmp check on my first encounter. I returned after paying some tax and some adjustments to my documents as requested but still without the fbi check. 
I was approved. However my stable union wife and I are in our 60's. She's Brazilian I'm Canadian. We look quite harmless so maybe we got a break.

Texanbrazil wrote:

It has always been FBI background checks for USA.
I was lucky. I had been to the PF so many times in the first year and when it came time for a background check the agent fingerprinted me and I mailed it to the FBI and had it back in 3 weeks.
Many use channelers to do the checks and no issues.
D

For those in the USA who choose to use it, the new FBI Background check is all online. It's super fast to fill out their form, mine, even though I am a foreigner, was under 5 minutes to complete, and then a quick trip to one of their designated US Post Office locations for finger-printing/Biometrics. I was in the Post Office building for under 15-minutes, and once the person at the USPS pushes the Enter button, my background check was instant and emailed to me right then and there with a hard copy in my mailbox within days. Both the Brazilian Consulate in the USA and the PF in Sao Paulo accepted my computer printed version, in English, and not even the original that was mailed to me, without question.

Hi James, by any chance do you have your model for the "Declaração sobre penas de Leis..." I have found your comments very useful and would like to know your advice on if the Polícia Federal decides against allowing me to use this document, where do I go from there?

Helamanzee, Welcome
Our great friend James passed away a few years ago. RIP
Many items have changed since 2017 due to the immigration laws change.  Statement of the truth of information document remains in force. In 2017 they remove the PF home visits to verify the information and they will require this document. Very difficult today to overturn the denial of a visa since visa final say lies with the MJ which oversees the PF
Just ask any questions and many will try to help

Hi guys, a Canadian here who is now living in Brazil. I am married to a Brazilian citizen but I didnt realize that I needed a criminal record check to get my CRNM. I see that the documents you need to become a permanent resident in Brazil under the checklist it includes both the criminal record check as well as the declaração sob as penas da lei. However, in reading of the posts Im still unsure as to whether the declaração sob as penas da lei would only be required in my case since I am married at the cartorio with a brazilian citizen. Does anyone know?

Hello
Me being Canadian and married to Brazilian and moving back to Brazil I got a criminal check fro our Royal Canadian Mounted police/local police. It is for 5 year check per required for family reunion permanent visa.

12/30/21

kendallwb wrote:

Hi guys, a Canadian here who is now living in Brazil. I am married to a Brazilian citizen but I didnt realize that I needed a criminal record check to get my CRNM. I see that the documents you need to become a permanent resident in Brazil under the checklist it includes both the criminal record check as well as the declaração sob as penas da lei. However, in reading of the posts Im still unsure as to whether the declaração sob as penas da lei would only be required in my case since I am married at the cartorio with a brazilian citizen. Does anyone know?

The website does say that, but except in the cases of refugees and stateless persons, I've never heard of the Polícia Federal waiving the criminal background check requirement in favor of an affidavit.

It never hurts to ask, as long as you're courteous about it, but you'll probably be told to get the document from the RCMP, and it will need to be legalized by the Brazilian Consulate responsible for your last province of residence, since Canada is not a party to the Apostille Convention.