1st timer, seeking recommendations for Thailand travel in the south

Hi,

I want to visit in Jan 2015, I'll have 3+ weeks available.  I'd be traveling on a low-moderate budget. I'd be arriving in Bangkok like most people do. Since I love the beach and water atmosphere I thought I'd travel south.  From the research I've done so far there seems to be 2 distinct popular areas: the Phuket side (Phuket, Koh Phi Phi, and Koh Lanta mentioned the most) and the Koh Samui side (Koh Samui, Koh Phangan, and Koh Tao mentioned the most). 

The purpose of this trip is to explore the possibility of living there part time, possibly full time. And if not, at least make it a good vacation.  Since this is my first trip I'd probably want to do most of the basic tourist type things.  My interests would be centered around the water activities: snorkeling, diving, sailing, catamarans, kayaking, etc.  Of course I'd be interested in other areas as well such as seeing some temples, tours, wildlife, parks, cultural stuff, etc. As far as the party scene goes - I'm not a youngster but I'm also not geriatric ... yet.

My personality is super easy going and I'm not super picky about where I stay as long as it's reasonably clean and safe (and I hear, air conditioned).

I did the same thing in Costa Rica last year and one of the things I discovered is that I hate traveling by bus (no bathrooms and can't stand up and stretch).  And I'm not reading too many good things about the train travel (one line and ends at Surat Thani).  So, I want to keep bus rides to a minimum, train rides would be the 2nd choice, and flying the 1st choice.

So, with all this in mind can I get suggestions on possible itineraries? Suggestions on how to get from one side to the other (not even sure where you can fly in to/out of besides Phuket). How long to stay in each area .... Am I missing out on areas to the north or south?  Must see? Must do?

Just doing more research and would like to hear from people who have actual experience, kind of "if it were me I'd do ...."

Ya, I know this is a pretty open post .... be nice please.

And I'm not reading too many good things about the train travel (one line and ends at Surat Thani).  So, I want to keep bus rides to a minimum, train rides would be the 2nd choice, and flying the 1st choice.

Great first post, although as you say it's a rather open post. I will address just a little bit for you and also make a suggested stopover if you are heading south.

Firstly the trains don't end at Surat Thani they head right down to the Malaysian border. Surat Thai is where you get off for Koh Samui.Thai trains are slow(ish) but overnight sleepers can be a great way to travel and you save on a nights hotel room. The bunks in air conditioned 2nd class sleepers are comfortable and very reasonably priced.

Buses are pretty comfortable, reasonably cheap and do have onboard facilities, toilet, reclining seats, snacks etc. They also make rest breaks on long hops.

You can get a combined rail/bus ticket to Phuket, which does have an airport and is well serviced by internal flights, with the likes of Nok Air, Bangkok Airways and Air Asia providing some competative fares.

One advantage of bus/rail travel is that you can break your journey, stretch out and there are no baggage limits.

A place you might like to stopover when heading south is Prachuap Khiri Khan, great seaside town with one of the best beaches in Thailand(Ao Manao). Quite small but ideal for a few days. Fresh air, water sports(Ao Manao) and fresh sea food. Plenty of good budget hotels too.

Hope that helps.