Brazilian passport for foreiginers

how to get brazilian passport, what are the rules and conditions. i have RNE which has validty for nine years, work card, CPF. what are the requirements and more..

In order to obtain a Brazilian passport you must first naturalize as a Brazilian citizen. For Ordinary Naturalization one must wait for 4 years from the date on which they were granted permanency before applying to naturalize (reduced to 1 year if permanency was based on marriage or on having a Brazilian child), and must meet ALL of the requirements of naturalization including passing a test of proficiency in the Portuguese language.

Only then can one apply for a Brazilian passport.

Cheers,
James         Expat-blog Experts Team

Regarding the naturalisation process, I had an interesting conversation with the local DPF here while in the process of getting a new CIE issued.  I was requesting clarification on some of the long list of certificates, and so on, that e rerequired for this pedido.  When I got to the Celpebras reqt ie proficiency in the language) and asked if there was an alternative to taking the test directly via Celpebras, as they only have two short induction periods per year, he said "oh no, we can just print off a test here in the office and you can take the test then and there".  I thought, "superb!".  And then when I got home, I though, hang on a mo, all the paperwork has to go to Brasilia doesn't it. So then I fell back into Old Brazil mode (where you have to get the "in triplicate" in triplicate....) and decided that maybe I should recheck this with another fine member of my local DPF.

Has any one else ever heard this ie don't worry, we'll set the test for you, forget about Celoebras??

I sure haven't heard of it before, but if it's a small delegacy who know? Anything is possible I guess.

Cheers,
James            Expat-blog Experts Team