2 Months Malaysia

Hello all,

Where would you stay and for how long each place if you had a two months vacation stay in Malaysia? Thanks for all contributions and recommendations in advance.

Been there, done that - several times.
Malaysia is fantastic, but you have to toss lonely planet in the bin.

KL. Have a good wander, making sure you do all the tourist stuff, including the KL tower (To the top), the twin tower skybridge (Get there very early) and the police museum (Great for looking at boy's toys - and buy one of their excellent polo shirts)
Go to Jalan Alor . next to Jalan Bukit bintang, be disgusted at the state of the place, then try the food anyway - it's amazing.
It's harder to find people who don't speak English than it is to find people who don't.

WARNINGS
Be polite to the evil pimps that offer you 'young girls', then 'young boys'. They often work in gangs, and a fight would be a bad idea, even if you really want to smack the evil pervs in the face.

The man who asks you where you're from, tells you is daughter is going there to study, and do you want to play cards. - Politely refuse, and walk.

Melaka - Well worth a few days there. Excellent street bars, make it a weekend.
Taiping. Great city with a lot of Chinese influence. I love the place, and had my honeymoon there.
Try to stay at the old government rest house next to the prison - the people will help you a lot. The guys took me all over the place - great.
Georgetown, Penang. A must for the traveller, but avoid the area around Soho bar. Full of ladyboys and everything that goes with the sex trade.
Ipoh - it's rubbish in general, but the temples are a must visit, and the food court near the cinema is great.
Don't walk alone late at night - very dangerous as there are all sorts of unsavoury people about.

NEVER, anywhere, allow the taxi driver to take you to the hotel. They take you to the one they get commission from, regardless of how good it is.
Just wander the streets near the centre, and find your own.

NEVER use a suitcase - a medium rucksack is ideal.
Go to this thread, and look at post 39. Most also applied to Malaysia.
https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=293005

Mas fred  gave a lot of good info.

Me? Hmm...if I had it to do all over again and used 2 months.....hmm...I would get off the plane, go rent a small motorbike, not a big one, and hit the road, making a complete loop of the country and into at least Thailand and Singapore as well.

I say this because:
1)  I did it Mas Fred's way on my first trip (and second) and didnt feel I learned anything. In the years later when I had cars and bikes, I took to the road and learned everything.
2) Im on a malaysian motorcycle forum and the best, greatest, most colorful and meaningful experiences by new visitors to the country were those involving a total tour. And thats by your own transport and the cheapest way is small bike. Other forums continued to report experiences about taxis, food, hotel staff. What. Big deal. Nothing. Bye.

This entire process began with a plane ride to Langkawi where I taught myself to drive in a Proton Saga for RM40/day. It took four days. Then I bought a car, then my first bike.

And two months just happens to be an ideal amount of time. Planning? Yes. GPS? Yes. Backpack? Why not. A passport, some cash, on your way.

It is important to plan your trip outside the monsoon season. April to August is about the best time. If you want to go to Thailand, suggest you go there first, as their rainy season starts in about May, intensifies in Sept/Nov and eventually gives way to fantastic weather from January to April.

Because the distances are very large (e.g. 4 hours from KL to Penang) biking may be a little tough and I am afraid to say the roads are somewhat dangerous or even so steep that biking would be problematic. Malaysia does tend to be a bit samey so you would need to really select where you go. There are not many activities outside of the main hubs, but a lot of beautiful scenary. Include at least one of the rainforests and lakes, and at least an island or two. The east coast islands are open from March to September.

A trip to Kota Kinabalu in Sabah (flight) might be worth including.