When do kids move to scondary school? Irish perspective

This is the last question; My daughter is going to be 11 in December - I am aware that children in Malta move to secondary school at the age of 11. However, here in Ireland she would still have another year in the primary school before she moves on (she is in the 5th class at the moment and next September she would be starting 6th class of primary). Would the decision be based on her age or class/grade she is attending now? Do they do any tests as expats before they are placed in appropriate class/grade?

Hello, I noticed that you have similar questions and worries as I have concerning schools in Malta. We have 3 children (7,10,13) and are hoping to spend the winter 2015-2016  in Malta. We live in Finland now and only the 13 year old speaks English quite well. I am hoping that the younger ones would learn the language during our stay . Now I got a bit worried as I red that the teaching language is Maltese in the public schools? Is it really so in every public school? 
I was planning to be with the children during the winter and not working that much( I am a vet). In that way I would have time to help the children with the language jn the beginning.

Oh and also I was wondering about that age matter too. I really hope that the 2 younger ones could go to same school. Would for sure feel safer for them :par:

they use calender years to define what year your kid is in. So, for example, my daughter is in Year 2 in the UK as she is 6 and her birthday is in August; however, because Malta uses a calender year system she will effectively go back a year when she starts in Gozo's public school system in September 2015.

When we visited the school in Victoria they advised us that English, Science and Maths are all taught in English, and Maltese, Religious Education and Social Development Studies are taught in Maltese. Having said this, I think all schools have state/EU(?) funding for additional language lessons for children who don't speak Maltese.

Personally, I didn't feel confident about our move until we'd been to visit the school and met the headmaster.

Thank You so much for Your answer :) . I already feel more confident about moving knowing that there is a good possibility for the kids to  learn English in school. I have started speaking English to them at home, just to get them a little more ready for the change.
Thanks a lot :top:

Hi, that's great, we have kids roughly same age indeed so similar "worries" I guess :). I have read somewhere about Finnish educational system being the best in the world with delayed start of school, co-ed classes and no homework. I suppose your children might find the Maltese system a bit hard going, I'd say my kids will anyway coming from very small school. I'll stay in touch and let you know how it all went for us :)
By the way are second daughter is called Päivi, we love Finnish names! :)

Hello, thanks for Your answer :) . Yes, I suppose it is true that the kids here start school a bit later. Long childhood. It sounds like they would be transferred year ir two up ( if I understood the school age system correctly), but I suppose the level could be about the same..? This is pure guessing, I am very thankful for any information when you know more :top:
the two younger kids don't speak English yet that well, but kids learn fast, I only hope that the teaching language is english :| ...
How cute to choose a Finnish name for your kid! My 13 years old daughter has a teacher called Päivi.