Couple moving to Kuwait City

Hello,

I just got an offer as restaurant manager for an international company. They offer me a salary of 450 KD as well as accomodation, insurance, return ticket...

Is this offer fair knowing that i am 26YO, French and 4 years experience in the industry?

Moreover, i will be coming with my wife. We are not big spenders but will it be sufficient to have a decent life and save some money ? If yes how much do you think ?

Thanks in advance for your answers and help!

It doesn't seem like its a good deal in my opinion. I'm not sure what your situation is in France; maybe you really need this job but if I had a decent opportunity in France I would stay there, this offer wouldnt tempt me. 450 KD is not alot of money if you plan to provide for you and your wife. You'll get by but your savings will be minimal. If your wife also has an offer, that could work out well.

Cheers

Well i am currently working in cambodia for a similar level of company and position. My salary is 1500usd but have to pay the apartment on my own and doesn t have the air ticket per year.
The cost of life being cheaper i can save around 400 to 500usd per months.

You may be earning the same income but the cost of living is definitely a lot more expensive in Kuwait than in Cambodia so you might not be able to save the 400-500USD that you're hoping for especially if your wife doesn't work.

We're not big spenders either but to give you a few examples we spend about 45KD ($155USD) on average for groceries per week which is already almost half your monthly income and that's just groceries! That doesn't even include eating out (which is really expensive here especially comparable to Cambodia) and if you would like to do any activities it will cost you more here. Our gym membership is the most expensive we've ever paid and we moved here from NYC where for the same amount I pay there I'd have a personal trainer attached to my hip!

I agree with abdouw it's not a very good deal unless both of you are working.

i think Tina meant to say what they pay for groceries is 10% of your monthly income, not half :P

crunch the numbers better here (link) you will be able to see the cost of living breakdown.

if they are paying your rent, that is a good thing. 450KD is not the best but it is good. i pay around 150KD a month for groceries, outings etc. i use my mastercard to keep track then transfer the money at the end of the month from my current account, it can fluctuate to 200 at times etc, so lets say that at minimum you can put away 100KD a month in savings, which is 343 USD.

depends on the rest of your package; do you get a bonus? how often do they do performance evaluations? what are the working hours? wht about transportation? will your wife work as well down the line or just you? how long od you plan to stay here?

like i said mon ami there are a lot of factors here, but initially, try to get more, say you have a baby on the way or you and your wife are planning etc. i saw it hapen, honest to god, i even have pictures of the email the potential employee sent :P

and in the end it depends on u, if u want to change locations, u have an offer, and if you are a university graduate, you are not bound to your present future employer for life, if you come here, apply to other ocmpanies in kuwait, go to the highest bidder. that is what i do and i have changed jobs 6 times in the past 7 years :P

bonne chance!

Summary: Bad deal!

@legacy: Hey buddy my math is right on! 45KD per week x 4 weeks in a month = 180KD (roughly $618USD) the guy gets paid $1500 per month I would consider that nearly half...   okay fine 41%  :D

Bottom line is I should stop buying organic and it's not a good deal. Negotiate!!!  :)

ooooooooh right! my bad, i forgot you yank's calculate your pay per week, not per month like "regular" folk :P

no offense! eek, i should hand in my audit card since i glanced over the word "per week".

we have all said our peace, now it is time for the good thread creator to reach his own conclusion as to the viability of this offer.

ask for more, if they refuse, consider everything the "wise ones" above have mentioned and come to your own conclusion.

we should have a reality show where me, JFU and Tina sit behind the judges table and expats come before us.. id pay to not watch that :P

Hi,

No Sir I don't think 450 is fair wages. Unless it's per week

It's  not bad
You can't come to Kuwait  and see your silf