Need advice regarding the driver threatening the family

Dear Expats and Indonesian friends,

i need advice urgently. We have been living in Jakarta for some time now. Our driver is elderly but all we need is to send the kid to school and bring him back; use for weekly shopping. My husband works in another country while i work here.

I also travel quite often so during those days, the driver only comes in the morning to send the cild to school and come again in the afternoon to bring the child home. I have a live-in maid and nanny so the child is well looked after.

Of late, he begins to behave very rudely and often times didn't show up at all without notice. Since i can drive, i had to take the kid to school and my maid had to fetch him using Silver bird taxi.

I have been unwell with some viral infection and made appointment at SOS  in the morning.. When my maid told him about the appointment at 11.00 a.m he literally thew the key at her and said he was going home and coming back for school only. I could not drive due to fever and severe headache. I thus had to call taxi. Oh, he did not show up to pick up the kid either. My maid had to go with taxi.

I had had enough of his rudeness so i told him not to come anymore. I paid the whole month of salary - meaning two weeks' pay plus two weeks extra.

Today he came to our apartment and demanded to give back his job. No apologies for his absence and behaviour. When i refused, he demanded i pay bonus of 5 months salary, a recommendation letter and threatened that if i would not meet his demand , he would report to Mosque so that we, as foreigners, would be arrested.

Has anyone experiened something like that? Please advise as we are all girls at home at the moment.

Thanks a lot!!!

KNT

Dear KNT,

I'm really sorry to hear about your predicament. Speaking as a local myself, i cannot condone his action regardless of his age. I don't know if my advice would be of any help.

Based on your story, it looks like you don't have contract that binds him to employment agreement in the event of severence payment. Have you tried to ask your country's embassy in jakarta? Most likely they'll be able to help you out. From there they should be able to arrange some protection/investigation to your issue with your employer. The maid should serve as your witness.

Is your apartment buildings located in a secured buildings with securities, access cards, and all? Just to make sure that he can't get access/near ur apartment without anyone noticing. If it is, then at least you're within safe distance from him.

does the school your kid go to a safe school? If she is too young to understand i hope you asked the school to have her inside the school before you picked her up.

Somehow i think this is might be a simple threat to get your reaction simply because he said he'd report it to a Mosque to have you arrested, which implies that he is not exactly well educated and is relying on the sympathy of the Mosque flock to agree with him. If you can maintain a composure and deliberately explain all the complaints you have about his behaviour at work, and threat him you'd have your embassy report him to local authorities, he'd cave. The Mosque can't legally arrest you, as long as you don't do anything illegal like physically abusing your employees, therefore they'll just go to the police. Should that happen you can explain your situation to them, which i think you'll have an advantage as long as your story is credible. And more often than not the mosque will have to assess his claim before deciding to take matters in their own hands.

Please don't show panic in front of him and don't scream at him when he confronts you again in the future, it'll just rile him up, like a rabid dog. Have the necessary emergency phone nilumber ready.

Stay safe!

Regards,
Boma

Well advised.  And to add to that, bring an Indonesian friend to accompany you facing him so he knows you're not alone.

Very good advice (IMHO) in those two replies.   :top:

Mrs. KNT

As local citizen I apologize for the situation with driver that you have.
Circumstances that you have can be regarded as an accident.

I'm a driver and now I've no job because my late bos is going back to Australia.
If you need driver for your needs while in Indonesia/Jakarta as well as a guard for you and your children you can contack me through my e-mail : [email protected].

Thank you for your attention.

Best regard's
Harrison

dont worry about all the threatening. mosque cant arrest you, the police can if you commit criminal case.

when people are desperate they'll say whatever they want. tell your building security not to let the driver in. case close