Cellphone News from El Capital (and Perhaps, Other Places)

.   I had to replace my cellphone, which I did today in Quito, near my condo in Centro Historico.
    I always use simple "celus," nothing accomodating fancy aps or even tweeting.
    The price was lower than I expected (being that electronics and such are typically higher here than back in the U.S.A.):  $35.72 plus tax, virtually the same price of my previous, similar phone purchased in Las Vegas, NV, USA, two years ago.
    This was a "promocion" (little-known Doppo brand) offered by JMC Celulares, near the corner of Guayaquil y Manabi, just across from Plasa del Teatro.  It's the shop just behind the Del Teatro "Trole" station (southbound trolleys) with lettering that says "Cabinas Telefonicas" and "Recargas Por Mayor."
    For all I know, such a promocion may be available in Mariscal sector or elsewhere in Quito or Ecuador as well.
   JMC sold me extra minutes (they said three dollars worth are included in the purchase) and helped me record an outgoing "mensaje."  No extra charge for the latter.
    This promocion was available to everyone.  No need to tell them that cccmedia in Quito sent you.

cccmedia wrote:

.   I had to replace my cellphone, which I did today in Quito...

This post is about cellphone security:

The reason I had to replace my cellphone was my encounter with a three-foot-tall "golfillo callejero" (street urchin) on the popular, often crowded Ecovia bus line about a week ago -- on a Saturday afternoon.

Said golfillo was elbowing me pretty good as we simultaneously boarded the packed bus.

I noticed right away that my belt-pouch had been opened, but it was not until after the little "mono" sneaked off through the adults at the very next stop that I became aware that my cellphone was gone.

Moral of the story:  your pockets and pouches are especially vulnerable to theft while boarding crowded city buses.  Keep a hand on your money pockets and cell phone at such a time.

I believe that riders on the Ecovia bus line are at risk for this sort of porqueria, in particular, for several reasons.  The buses are crowded...this (Avenida 6 de Diciembre) line is highly popular with Expats traveling around the Mariscal sector...and some of these golfillos are highly talented in their nefarious craft.

cccmedia in Quito

cccmedia wrote:

Over at the hiking-group fiesta at South American Explorers a few days ago, a guy was trying to convince me to get an i-phone.  He didn't get far with me in that discussion.

I believe that unless you're addicted to fancy portable phones and such, it's a bad idea in the cities.

First off, they can make you a target (as in my golfillo post, above).

But also, you don't want to be looking at your device while ambling along city streets and sidewalks.  There are enough potholes (including the sidewalks) and "depositos de perros" that you really should be giving full attention to where you're walking.

I feel secure in my decision to do computer stuff only at home on my laptop (or if necesary, at an indoors Internet-coffee shop).   If you get too engrossed in your computer or device at home, there's virtually no chance of getting run over by a speeding "camionero."

cccmedia in Quito

Right on!!! Am still using my 7 year old desktop. Did break down and get Windows 7. Would have gotten a laptop but they all had Windows 8 and just couldn't adjust. Also broke down and gave up my landline and now have Cricket for $25 a month. I lived off the grid for too long I guess. I call it the screen generation. Very tuned out to life.

cccmedia wrote:

.   I had to replace my cellphone, which I did today in Quito, near my condo in Centro Historico.
    The price was lower than I expected (being that electronics and such are typically higher here than back in the U.S.A.):  $35.72 plus tax, virtually the same price of my previous, similar phone purchased in Las Vegas, NV, USA, two years ago.
    This was a "promocion" (little-known Doppo brand) offered by JMC Celulares, near the corner of Guayaquil y Manabi, just across from Plasa del Teatro.  It's the shop just behind the Del Teatro "Trole" station (southbound trolleys) with lettering that says "Cabinas Telefonicas" and "Recargas Por Mayor."
    For all I know, such a promocion may be available in Mariscal sector or elsewhere in Quito or Ecuador as well.
   JMC sold me extra minutes (they said three dollars worth are included in the purchase) and helped me record an outgoing "mensaje."  No extra charge for the latter.
    This promocion was available to everyone.  No need to tell them that cccmedia in Quito sent you.

what kind of cell phone they sell? Is there a web site of the shop? Could you please take a photo of their promocion?

netbean wrote:
cccmedia wrote:

what kind of cell phone they sell? Is there a web site of the shop? Could you please take a photo of their promocion?

As mentioned above, this Doppo brand phone is a simple model.  It's a small black phone.  Small and light.

This is a local business with no website indicated on my receipt.

The promocion "cartel" simply says (in espanol): Doppo cell phone $35.

To clarify the location of the shop at the trole stop indicated above, it's between the middle of the housing that covers the trolley platform and the building containing this and many other shops.  No photo currently available.  The lettering above the shop was indicated in my above post.

Please re-read the above and you'll have all the info you need to find the shop.

cccmedia in Quito

Thanks, cccmedia.

I need a new android phone, powerful. I am not in Quito. Hope to find a good seller.
Please recommend if you know.