News writers, photojounalists, photodocumentarians?

(Hopefully this will not be considered spam. I am the publisher of The Speaker, and I am looking for citizen journalists/photodocumentarians--currently, we are conducting a campaign to hire at least one in each country of the world, to create a worldwide network for us and for our writers.)

I would very much like to find someone to report from Chiang Rai or Chiang Mai, since I lived there before, but any location is fine.

I am looking for citizen journalists, photographers and photojournalists who care about a particular area of news or current events and who wish to publish their work.

Maybe you are practicing as a photo documentarian, a writer, a blogger, or are a professional or educated hobbyist in some field of interest. If your subject relates to news or current events, we will consider publishing it, but it should be something you care about.

We are a small paper, but our articles are able to reach 50,000 people sometimes. Everyone at our paper cares about our work. We want to work with people the world over--we want to bring the world together in information. If you know a writer, journalist, or photographer, please pass this on.

If the articles you write earn money, we will give this to you. We track the pageviews of every article and calculate totals for contributors. Advertising generates modest revenue, and we are currently paying the entirety to contributors.

Your English does not need to be perfect. We have dedicated editors. If you are not sure if you can write news, we can teach this very quickly--we have a tutorial. We want citizen journalists.

If you are interested, email me.

Day Blakely Donaldson
TheSpeaker.co
Publisher

I'm a pretty active photosnapper in Indonesia, mostly around Jakarta.
Are you looking for anyone in this area?

Hello mas fred,

Yes, we would be interested. Please email me and we can discuss projects: [email protected]

Done.

I loved to do photography and every weekend I go out for photo snap. Even I working for a image processing company (phototrims.com). I'm from Bangladesh, would like to pick anyone from this area?

Perhaps I should add some meat onto the bones.
This is an internet publication, looking for a wide variety of stories - much of it stuff that the big publications miss.
The idea is more than interesting, and I'm awaiting answers to a couple of questions I've posed - Cash being the most interesting.

I have potential lines into stories, and this has provoked an interest in doing something about it.
To get a better idea of what the OP is looking for, read this.

http://thespeaker.co/

Yes, we are currently in a campaign to bring in at least one journalist/photographer from every country in the world, as I wrote above. Please email me with any specific questions, send in some work you would like published (whether current news that has not before been published or a photo series), or apply through the websites.

Hello Paul,

Perhaps I can answer most of your questions (from your email) here.

First of all, I appreciated your clearly comprehensive analysis of many of the top lines of news in Indonesia. Really, you wrote on half a dozen topics, and they all read interestingly.

Your main questions were about press credentials and compensation.

Press credentials:

I will paste here a section from our yet-unpublished aid to citizen/beginner journalists:

Do photojournalists need a press pass to take photos of anything? Do jounralists need a press pass to ask questions?

It is important to realize that you do not need a press "credential" to take pictures or cover events in public places (streets, parks, sidewalks that are not closed off to public access). You do not need government approval to work as a journalist, although it may be beneficial to obtain a “Press ID” or an official government-issued press credential for other reasons. Press credentials related to news coverage are usually issued by law enforcement agencies. Requirements for the issuance of credentials are established by those agencies and vary by department. One agency may not recognize the privileges granted by the credentials from another department. Event specific press credentials are usually provided by the organizers of the event, i.e. major league sports, concerts, festivals, press conferences, corporate meetings.

That is to say, you do not need press credentials to photograph or ask questions (in the US--some countries may vary in this regard). We will give you press credentials, but those credentials are merely a token that you are reporting for The Speaker, and we will vouch for that if they check.

No news agency can give a press pass that will give you access to places that issue their own passes (almost everything you would want a press pass for). Think of your press pass as a drivers licence or business card.

Compensation:

At The Speaker, everyone gets the same. That is, if the articles bring in money (through advertising) by attracting a lot of page views, we give this to the person responsible. The money that comes in goes out. Although this is better than many larger publications in some ways (for example, the biggest organizations such as The Guardian UK don't pay the majority of their writers anything, no matter what their articles do, as I understand), this is usually a modest amount. Journalism is not something people get into for money.

All of us do it because we want to. That is why we aim to publish the things that people care about enough to write about them (or photo document them). Keep in mind that this is a benefit as far as we are concerned--we work among a group of people who are the sort that devote themselves to things that they care about. I don't know what sort of group is better to be part of on this earth.

Some of the things you mentioned (expenses for gaining access, etc) are things associated with what is called investigative journalism. I don't know how many investigative journalists there are in the world, but it is certainly a small percentage of journalists. If you can imagine paying yearly salaries to bring in a half dozen or a dozen stories, you can imagine the scale of news organization that finance this. Mashable, which is worth multi-millions and has 20 million unique viewers every month, just hired its first few such journalists. You could also imagine the type of selection process for applicants to this kind of job.

I hope you do decide to write something, though. I liked even the writing you did in your email, and I think you would be cut out for it, if you so chose.

Press pass.
In many countries, Indonesia included, to get such a pass would involve a work permit as this would be considered work.
A press credential from yourself would open doors to shows and events such as the arms show of last week. Very little chance of entry without something of that nature.
It may not have any actual power, but it would probably be enough to get you into things of this nature. People here tend to respect official looking badges, even if they mean not much in reality. As for political meetings, it may help, or it may not.

The other side, investigative stuff, would be rather interesting to look at anyway, just for fun. I may have a chat to a couple of people I know, just to see what happens.

To update people following this thread, we do issue press passes to staff and occasionally to other reporters who wish to gain access to news locations in the course of pursuing a story for The Speaker.

(aka Mas Fred, our office did receive your email. We should be contacting you today.)

Dear Mr Donaldson:
Very interested and have some good ideas. Please ve-mail me at [email protected]

Hi Day,
I am an Australian often travelling in Asia, had been a journalist and editor for years some time back, and wuld love to get back into it.
What kind of themes you would like me to write. What address shall I send them to?
Rahmann

Hello all,

As above stated, the email is publisher[at]thespeaker.co

Thank you

I am a documentary photographer that does work with NGOs. I am based in Bangkok but will travel for a story. I am a published photographer and would like to offer my services.

I look forward to hearing from you.

AnthonyB1 wrote:

I am a documentary photographer that does work with NGOs. I am based in Bangkok but will travel for a story. I am a published photographer and would like to offer my services.

This is an old thread, so I suggest you contact them directly.

Hi Anthony,

I agree with Fred, this is really an old thread.
If you are looking to offer your services, the forum is not the appropriate place. Therefore i suggest you to get registered in the business directory > Photographers in Thailand.

Thank you

Priscilla  :cheers:

Eek, sorry! Newbie an all.
Thank you for the pointer though, really appreciated.

AnthonyB1 wrote:

I don't know about other posters here, but I'd love to see some of your stuff.
Perhaps you could start a thread in the Thailand forum.

Hey Fred,
I'd be happy to start a thread with some of my work. I have already started posting in the photography forum but limited as to what I can post.

AnthonyB1 wrote:

Hey Fred,
I'd be happy to start a thread with some of my work. I have already started posting in the photography forum but limited as to what I can post.

I'll watch out for that one.
As an aside, I will now engage in shameless advertising for my thread,
It isn't top quality pro stuff, just a take on life here.

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=121573

Hi! My name is David Charles Rea. I Have lived in Pattaya for over ten years.
Before retiring there I worked in UK TV as a Producer/Director/Writer making over 70 Documentaries about subjects of all kinds. I would like to do something to keep the Wolf from the door as it were. I am a good Photographer.
Lets talk about it shall we?

David

Davidcharles wrote:

Hi! My name is David Charles Rea. I Have lived in Pattaya for over ten years.
Before retiring there I worked in UK TV as a Producer/Director/Writer making over 70 Documentaries about subjects of all kinds. I would like to do something to keep the Wolf from the door as it were. I am a good Photographer.
Lets talk about it shall we?

David

The OP posted last week, but may not see a post in an old thread.
Perhaps you'd like to email the newspaper using publisher[at]thespeaker.co

I can assure posters this is an authentic publication, so no worries about a scam of any sort.