Visiting Nica Soon Would Like to Talk to Expats or Locals for Advice

Hello,

The more I thought about my first post, the more I knew I had to create a new post.  :)  I am hoping to learn from Expats how it is to live in Nica - cost of living and things like that - anything you think is useful..

I am also interested in talking with any Nica Nurses or Expats who take care of the elderly (originally I mentioned I hoped for bilingual, but that is just wrong so I am changing that). I plan to learn Spanish, at any cost, so it doesn't matter if a nurse does not speak English.  That's okay!

It is extremely possible that I might be bring my elderly father with me and he will require constant care, so that's why I'd really appreciate talking with someone. 

Please send me a response with any suggestions, answers, questions or concerns you may have.  I look forward to hearing from you as soon as possible, so we can exchange emails to make contact once I arrive in Nica. I will be spending 3 days in Granada and 3 days in Leon.

Thank you so much and Happy Trails........LAN

I was in Granada yesterday! In Leon now. You can find someone to take care of your father here I'm sure. They have a private hospital and a public one. I don't know how much a private nurse would cost but costs here a reasonable with almost everything.
One thing I would bring to your attention is that hardly anything here is handicap accessible. This means that he won't be able to roll a wheelchair down the side walk and cross the street in one alone. If he walks with a cane he can move around the city as there are many people here who walk with canes.
You can hire a translator from any of the schools. They are expensive if you hire them through the school and I would suggest getting a young assistant that can speak both even if it's broken Spanglish. For example I speak both but I have people that work for me that can speak both as well. A school will send a translator for $30-50 dollars a day or u could hire an assistant for $60 a week. They could also double as someone who could do all your shopping and organizing your travel for you. Well worth the money.
Many places I go, the price changes as soon as they see me get out of the car. When they see a foreigner the price doubles. My assistant negotiates for me and then I get out and pay. She saves me more than $60 a week so it's well worth the money. Things to consider. If u are looking for a wheelchair friendly area look in Fatima. They actually have decent sidewalks.
Hope this helps.