Foreign Driving License

Hi Everybody

I am moving to KL next week and plan to buy a car within a month.

I am confused about the Driving License.

I have my Indian Driving License, please advise if I can drive using the same license as long my current DL is valid.

Or, I have to convert it into Malaysian DL.

I went thru the below link, which is not clear enough whether I can use my Indian DL.
http://www.jpj.gov.my/web/eng/acceptance-of-foreign-driving-license

Can anybody please advise based on their personal experience what I have to do.

Thanks
Jasjot

Yes you have to convert it as the law even for international driving permits is they are only valid for three months. You have to get proof that your indian license is authentic. Not sure how you get it in India but in the UK the letter is issued by the central driving license centre. New rule since early this year so may not be on the JPJ website.

Thanks Gravitas...

i think students here can also get that am i right ?

Everyone has to convert but you need a valid pass in your passport to do so. Everyone needs proof that the licence they are exchanging is not an illegal copy i.e. fake.

There are basically two lists of countries. One list can exchange directly by going to their nearest JPJ Office. The other list have first to go to Putrajaya to get initial clearance and then go to the JPJ Office. Check out the lists on other blogs. I think the JPJ website is pretty lousy and does not work right now (or everything is in Bahasa Malayu - like the forms)

Hi Gravitas, how about bike license? I have India license for Car and Bike.

Kumar - All licences have to be changed to Malaysian ones. Nothing non-Malaysian is valid for more than 3 months.

A person needs at least 6 months (left) on their employment pass to get one issued. So get your timing right and dont delay.

There are quite a lot of bike spot checks by traffic cops.

I think you may be able to get the proof of original licences from the Indian High Commission in Kuala Lumpur. But you would need to check with them by phone or email. They may have something on their website about it. Take a look.

Thanks a lot gravitas...for your valuable information.

Here is the process for Indian Nationals in Malaysia

Attestation of Driving Licence

http://www.indianhighcommission.com.my/ … ml#driving

1. Photocopy of the driving license duly attested by CPV Division of Ministry of External Affairs New Delhi or its Branch Offices in Chennai, Hyderabad, Kolkatta or Gauhati plus one photocopy of the attested copy.

2. One copy of the passport (first page, last page and current visa page).

3. The originals need to be presented for scrutiny.

4. Charges: RM 47+ RM 9.50 service fees

Process
(Monday to Friday) except public holidays from 0830 hrs to 1330 hrs

Passport and Other Consular Services Application Centre (PCSAC)
Wisma Paradise,
2nd Floor,
No. 63, Jalan Ampang,
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Phone number: +60 3 2022 2644
Fax No: +60 3 2022 2645
Name of contact person: Ms. Karthiga

E-mail: [email protected]
website:http://blsinternational.com/blsintl/blsindia-malaysia.com/index.php

Processing time and collection
Collection between 1500 hrs and 1700 hrs on 3rd working day from date of submission at the PCSAC.