If I wanna live close to the sea, where should I live?

Hey guys,

I'm planning on moving to Malta but don't know where I should begin looking for apartments. If I'm moving I will be working on an igaming company. I don't know if they are all located in Silema? Anyway, what's most important to me is that I live close to the sea. I'd like sea view and I'd like short walking distance to bathing spot. Preferably where not all tourists are. I'm a family type of guy so I'd like peaceful places where I can just relax and enjoy the beautiful place.I don't care about clubs or pubs. I don't mind having a 50 min walking distance to work.

Where should I look?

Also I'm wondering how much it's able to bargain down the price on apartments? And wouldn't it be possible to bargain down an unfurnished apartment more than a furnished because right now when I'm looking furnished and unfurnished seems to go for the same price.

All I'd want is an unfurnished apartment with air condition, nice sea view, in a peaceful area close to a good bathing spot.

Thanks in advance.

You obviously haven't seen Malta if you have to ask these

This is MALTA You cannot be more than about 7km away from the sea.

Come here first, look for work and when you found something that pays, then look for renting a place nearby.

Hi illerre,

most i-gaming companies are in the area between Msida and St. Julians.

Are you bringing your own furniture to Malta? Most appartments are furnished! You will not find much choice unfurnished.

If you want the seaview and a close walk to the beach you should definitly look at seafront appartments in Sliema. The rents start around 800 € and can be around 2000 € and more depending what you are looking for.

I would also suggest that you visit Malta before you decide to relocate.

Cheers
Ricky

Thx guys.

I honestly don't think I need to visit Malta before I relocate. I lived in Madeira for 2 years and didn't visit the island before going there. I'm not bringing my own furniture, It's just hard to find that perfect apartment with interior that I like (modern) and a balcony facing the sea. I've found a few though in silema. But how much can you bargain on the apartment? I've found a few going for 900-1000, and I could at most pay 800€.

If I go through an agency would they charge me for finding an apartment or how does it work? I mean, maybe it's easier for them to bargain down the price?

Also I found that Malta is half the size of Madeira but has 1.5 times the population. Is it always packed with people on the streets in Malta?

Greetings again,

There're literally thousands of apartments in Sliema alone fitting your description. You won't be disappointed with your range of options!
The construction quality in Malta is very good but finish is often disappointing: final touches often missing or poorly done. They are typically simple and similar in construction style: no elaborate design nor architectural masterpieces; certainly not in your budget. The internal and external decoration will very often be dull. They're furnished for the purpose: The furniture isn't typically brand new, designer items, lavish or expensive unless you're lucky and find an apartment someone has done up for own use but needed to move out for some reason. This is rare!

Maltese flats are normally long and narrow like a Mars bar (chocolate). Square flats virtually don't exist. You will probably have the sea-view that you like (and pay for) in one room only. The other rooms will have windows and light but no views to speak of.

Agents normally charge a finder's fee of one month rent plus 18% tax. This is equally shared between the two parties (you pay half the monthly rent plus 18%. e.g. a rent of 1000 euros, costs you 580 euros upon signing the contract). I think you're probably better off using an agent.

A rent agreement is an individual agreement reached between two parties. There is no typical or general market rate for discounts. I would say expecting a 20% reduction isn't realistic at all. However asking for it doesn't cost you anything. Prepare it to be refused! Now is probably the best time of year for getting a discount (beginning of winter and low season). Your chances increase If you can show and convince the landlord:
-you're genuine
-ready to move at short notice
- fit his ideal tenant profile
-low risk
-low maintenance
-no pets, no children, no smoker
- have proof of income or available funds
- can commit to minimum 1 year

Native Maltese population tends to stay put and not often move. Some of them have a summer residence on the coats of the island that they keep year round. This island is however home to a population close to half a million. There is a significant and increasing international resident population coming to live/work here from elsewhere (vast majority of people on this website). They are much more fluid and mobile. There is also a very large transient population (holiday maker) on the island depending on season.
Majority of the streets have a pedestrian width of around 1m wide.

In conclusion:

1. So yes, Malta is a small place and yes it is densely populated. It's not difficult for streets to get packed with people. This is one of the charms of Malta!

2. It is extremely unlikely to find the perfect apartment within your relatively modest budget. If one becomes available, it will be taken by someone known to the owner or agent and will not be advertised. If one ever gets advertised, it will be snapped up by someone here, ready to move and on the look out within hours. You're not here and that's a major disadvantage.

3. You will have to compromise (size, location, access, noise, parking, amenities, décor, furniture, style, view, light, neighbourhood, etc.)

4. You're wise to consider a short term accommodation first and look for a long term rent when you're sure of your workplace etc.

[Moderated: No free ad]

Thanks.

The poorly done finish is just like in Madeira, I can live with that.

I don't like the streets being packed. That's actually a concern to me as I like peacefulness. Where I lived in Madeira it was never packed but I had a 40 minute stroll down the city center where it was alot more packed (but still not like Malta I think). Would there be another place I could look for apartments that are not that packed? I mean, maybe I can live with it. I don't feel I have many options. I want to move abroad and I blew my chances on Madeira. I've checked Gibraltar but there are some serious down sides to that place as well. How packed are the beaches/cliffs in the summer and in the evening? I'm thinking if you could take a peacefull stroll or if it's possible to find that sweetspot on a cliff where only you and your friends are? I've heard the beaches are packed during the summer and knowing myself I would probably not want to go there like that.

I could show and convice the landlord on all of that so that sounds good.

Here's an example of an almost perfect apartment for me going for 900€
http://www.jkproperties.com.mt/property … t/1479917/

I could wish for some different furniture etc but this is still pretty good.

thats a lovely apartment and one should expect that at least, for the price.

[Moderated: No free ad]

illerrre wrote:

I don't like the streets being packed. That's actually a concern to me as I like peacefulness. Where I lived in Madeira it was never packed but I had a 40 minute stroll down the city center where it was alot more packed (but still not like Malta I think). Would there be another place I could look for apartments that are not that packed?

Probably not Sliema then. Another problem with the Sliema seafront is that it's next to a very busy road. I used to stay there in a hotel with that perfect sea view, but after two weeks I couldn't take the traffic noise and polluted air  anymore.

If you're looking for peace&quiet, you should consider seaside towns outside the St Julian's/Sliema/Valletta area. Rent is considerably less expensive there, but whether living in one of these more remote towns will be feasible depends on whether you'll be driving or, if not, if there's a reliable bus connection between your future home and workplace.

For example, a place like Bahar ic-Caghaq might be what you're looking for. Not too far away from STJ/Sliema, quiet, close to the sea, and it will probably always have good bus connections to STJ/Sliema.

I think you are going to find Malta VERY different from Madeira and I think you will need to be prepared to be disappointed. I also believe it very unwise for anyone not to visit before making such a move.
If you are not going to visit before making your move at least look at Google Earth View of Malta and at these webcams: http://www.skylinewebcams.com/en/webcam … malta.html
Do not forget, tourism is Malta's business and places become very crowded for many months.
(Gozo however is different  ;) )
Good luck!

I also intended to add that according to one source in 2012 just under one and a half million per year.
July 2012 was one of the busiest months on record, about 175,000 people making it over to the island.  Which is a lot, when you consider the island's population is just 370,000.  To put it another way, the population increased by almost 50% in July alone due to the influx of foreign sun-seekers. The numbers are increasing.

illerrre wrote:

I don't like the streets being packed. That's actually a concern to me as I like peacefulness. Where I lived in Madeira it was never packed but I had a 40 minute stroll down the city center where it was alot more packed (but still not like Malta I think). Would there be another place I could look for apartments that are not that packed?

First, the bad news:

Malta:-
Area               316 km2 (121 sq mi)
Population    2013 estimate Increase to 446,547
                      2011 census 416,055
Density         1,562/km2 (7th) 4,077/sq mi

Madeira:-
Area             801 km2 (309 sq mi)
Population    267,785 (2011)
Density         308.5/km2 (799/sq mi)
(source: Wikipedia)

Population density of Malta is at least 5 times greater than Madeira!

It gets a lot worse actually because pop density of Gozo is 1/3 of Malta and virtually no one lives on Comino. Furthermore about half of the main island is densely packed with people and houses, the other half is mostly open spaces. In other words over 90% of resident population + expat community + language students + people staying here several months a year + the huge influx of summer holiday makers etc, all put together, occupy less than half of Maltese land.
Taken all these into account: population density in Sliema is likely to be 10-20 times that of Madeira!
If the Swedish-style vast open spaces pleasure you, then Malta is not a good place for you! Sliema is one of the more popular and busier places in Malta.

This strengthens the view that you're wise to visit Malta first and have a feel for it before committing yourself to live here on a long term basis.

Now the good news:

You mentioned you're a family man etc, so my previous comments were based on a 3 bedroomed apartment. I see that you're after a 1 bedroom apartment and that increases your chances as you have a reasonable budget.

I suggest Bugibba or Qawra. It is close to the sea but not jam-packed. It is a very tranquil place to live in.

would one get an apt with sea view for 600-800 euro? has to be modern, what re the best websites for viewing property?

illerrre wrote:

Hey guys,

I If I'm moving I will be working on an igaming company. I don't know if they are all located in Silema?

as everybody said - come visit first
most companies are in st.julian-sliema area
from your post's i presume you will be coming without job offer? because there is a surplus of traders on the island currently so don't expect to find job instantly

G0g3tt3r wrote:

I suggest Bugibba or Qawra. It is close to the sea but not jam-packed. It is a very tranquil place to live in.

Are you living in the same Bugibba or Qawra as everyone or is there another one the island?!

coxf0001 wrote:
G0g3tt3r wrote:

Are you living in the same Bugibba or Qawra as everyone or is there another one the island?!

I agree with the Qwara part :)
The Bugibba that I know is either busy and noisy or dead, no in between....

ricky wrote:

I would also suggest that you visit Malta before you decide to relocate.

Cheers
Ricky

What do you think are the biggest things to overcome that would make one think twice? Obviously one should visit before making a long term decision, but a short 6-12 month stay what do you think I should be most wary of? Thanks Ricky!

My pics of Sliema, ferry area. Quiet it is not and this was in November this year.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=368630246634095&set=pcb.368630359967417&type=1&theater

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=368630333300753&set=pcb.368630359967417&type=1&theater

The above did not work so here they are:

https://www.expat.com/en/picture/140958 … ic_level=0

and

https://www.expat.com/en/picture/140959 … ic_level=0

Thanks for all replies.

Judging from those pictures it's very peaceful. That is peaceful to me. I see like no people at all? :P I understand this is November though, but it looks beyond great.

What needs to be said about Madeira is that the whole island is sloping downwards which means most people are at the bottom of the slope. So I don't think Malta is 10-20 times more denser than Madeira.

Qawra seems like a nice place, but having to travel that distance to work everyday, I don't know. I got a lot to think about. It's nice living in a quiet area that's cheaper but it's also nice living close to work.

It would be really nice if you had a picture of when it's crowded just to give me an idea.

illerrre wrote:

Thanks for all replies.

Judging from those pictures it's very peaceful. That is peaceful to me.

Yea sure.  :lol:

illerrre wrote:

What needs to be said about Madeira is that the whole island is sloping downwards which means most people are at the bottom of the slope. So I don't think Malta is 10-20 times more denser than Madeira.

That is just like Malta, as explained in a previous post. Malta is wedge shaped and mainly the whole 450,000 people live at the bottom of the slop!

Bugibba/Qawra/St. Paul's bay are now nearing the largest populated area in Malta and with the added 1,000,000 tourists a year heading there or Sliema it is heavily crowded. Not to mention, when the Maltese head there for summer.

You were given advice about Bahar ic-Caghaq and personally, I think excellent advise (apart from you really should come here first to have a look!)

This has got to be a wind up.............Sliema - peaceful - I see no people at all!!!!

Also from Spain and Gibraltar pages 6 months ago he/she wrote 'Btw, do you know if there are any dating sites I could use for these areas? I'm very good looking and I have the social skills but I'm not really the party type of guy so I really prefer dating chicks I meat on internet.
What I'm looking for in moving to spain and working in gibraltar is just to meet a nice girl, settle down in a calm and beautiful place and enjoy life to the fullest. Do you think this place is for me?

No more time wasting.

redmik wrote:

This has got to be a wind up.............Sliema - peaceful - I see no people at all!!!!

Also from Spain and Gibraltar pages 6 months ago he/she wrote 'Btw, do you know if there are any dating sites I could use for these areas? I'm very good looking and I have the social skills but I'm not really the party type of guy so I really prefer dating chicks I meat on internet.
What I'm looking for in moving to spain and working in gibraltar is just to meet a nice girl, settle down in a calm and beautiful place and enjoy life to the fullest. Do you think this place is for me?

No more time wasting.

I totally share your sentiments. That was also my conclusion and it was before seeing his dating site request.
This guy is in a delusion and we now know better why he isn't living in Madeira, Spin, Gibraltar or Sweden.... Yes, I don't think Malta is a good place for him. There is always the risk that he might bump into somebody on the street, see people from far distance or see a woman on the beach! ;)

Why the attitude? Not judge-mental at all, are we? I've had a relationship for 6 months now which is why I didn't go through with moving to Gibraltar/Spain. That place was really nice if I had chosen to live in La alcadeisa or whatever it is called. The problem with Gibraltar/Spain is the tension between the people and the air pollution. As I said, it's hard to get everything you want and I should probably have stayed in Madeira cuz that place was awesome. It had it's downsides too though.

[moderated: rude comment]

Now you are mentioning air pollution as a problem....Malta has 100 more cars per 1000 people than Spain and is 9th in the world for car:people ratio.
Take the advise on here and visit first!

no judgemet here; however please visit before deciding to settle here , its a big descision to make and its a complete change of lifestyle  if you have any questions please ask

We are from South Africa and we bought and furnished a brand new apartment in Sliema 3 years ago. The apartment is 2 blocks from the sea in a very nice quiet street. The apartment is on the 1st floor, and has 2 bedrooms with 2 en-suite bathrooms. The furniture, kitchen & bathrooms are very modern and stylish. It is literally 2 minutes walk away from the esplanade, and a nice local supermarket too. The location is fantastic. We visit Malta for a month each year in June, and we do not find the island too crowded. We love Malta.

We have had the same tenant for 3 years. The rent is around what your budget is p/m. The minute that you start looking for a sea view in St Julians or Sliema, the monthly rental increases dramatically, and chances are that you are on a very busy road. So, maybe re-consider the "sea-view"? We have found that people mostly live "out", meaning that they meet friends on the esplanade. Maltese businesses (not restaurants) normally close from one to four for siesta and stay open until 7 o'clock. When we are in Malta in June, we find that the esplanade is still buzzing at 11:00 in the evening.

Hope this gives you a little insight from a landlord's point of view?

I've been here since a year now.
As I work from home, I moved to Saint Paul's Bay (very quite but still a lot of action at the Bugibba Square or Cafe del Mar); I have a frontal view of the sea and a 2 bedrooms/1 bathroom Duplex penthouse for 400€ / month.
Previously, I lived in Swieqi for 6 months and loved it as it is at walking distance from St Julian's. The same type of penthouse costed me 1.200€/month and I had a distant view of the sea but 2 bathrooms.

My only advices for you are:

- make sure you do not have to commute to go to work. Buses are 100% packed and won't stop if they are which means you could have to wait for 60 minutes to be allowed to hop on!
- if you choose a cheap place like Buggiba/St Paul's bay and intend to go to work in St. Julians / Sliema by car, the traffic is very busy in Malta as there are only few itinaries possible.

In short your choice is between paying a higher lease and do not spend 2 or 3 hours in the traffic everyday or paying less and be stuck every single day in the traffic.

New Horizonz wrote:
coxf0001 wrote:
G0g3tt3r wrote:

I agree with the Qwara part :)
The Bugibba that I know is either busy and noisy or dead, no in between....

Agreed here too.
San Pawl IL Bahar is the best option to enjoy the action of Bugibba when desired.
There are a lot of streets here where you can have a quite close seaview and still avoid the front line and their noises...

stephanevan wrote:

I've been here since a year now.
As I work from home, I moved to Saint Paul's Bay (very quite but still a lot of action at the Bugibba Square or Cafe del Mar); I have a frontal view of the sea and a 2 bedrooms/1 bathroom Duplex penthouse for 400€ / month.
Previously, I lived in Swieqi for 6 months and loved it as it is at walking distance from St Julian's. The same type of penthouse costed me 1.200€/month and I had a distant view of the sea but 2 bathrooms.

My only advices for you are:

- make sure you do not have to commute to go to work. Buses are 100% packed and won't stop if they are which means you could have to wait for 60 minutes to be allowed to hop on!
- if you choose a cheap place like Buggiba/St Paul's bay and intend to go to work in St. Julians / Sliema by car, the traffic is very busy in Malta as there are only few itinaries possible.

In short your choice is between paying a higher lease and do not spend 2 or 3 hours in the traffic everyday or paying less and be stuck every single day in the traffic.

i didnt think st.pauls bay was considered a cheap place.

dingdangdoo wrote:

Me neither but paying a third of my previous penthouse for a direct and close view at St Paul's Island is still very cheap...

stephanevan wrote:
dingdangdoo wrote:

Me neither but paying a third of my previous penthouse for a direct and close view at St Paul's Island is still very cheap...

sounds great, mind me asking how you found it? word of mouth, website? i have never seen close to that amount on
any of the websites i looked at. Is it modern or would it be maltese standards?

dingdangdoo wrote:

sounds great, mind me asking how you found it? word of mouth, website? i have never seen close to that amount on
any of the websites i looked at. Is it modern or would it be maltese standards?

I used the same agent as before, Frank Salt.
It is modern but...the second bedroom isn't furnished.
That said, I don't need it as I'm single anyway.
And also, I prefer to pay 150€ less per month and invest 600 to 800€ in a bedroom furniture which will be mine anyway.
I saw many penthouses on Remax in St Paul's going for around 550€  though.
Let's say, I was very lucky to get that price partly because the building is under renovation and two levels aren't even finished and none of the 6 levels are rented except min ;-)

I have a 6 floor building for myself ;-)

St. Paul's bay is probably the cheapest place to rent in Malta. I have always been a St. Paul's Bay fan (not Bugibba or Qawra.)

As said above, quieter but near enough for Bugibba life and I agree with the bus comments....Driving me nuts at the moment with tourists still filling the buses up from Mellieha and beyond!

coxf0001 wrote:

St. Paul's bay is probably the cheapest place to rent in Malta. I have always been a St. Paul's Bay fan (not Bugibba or Qawra.)

As said above, quieter but near enough for Bugibba life and I agree with the bus comments....Driving me nuts at the moment with tourists still filling the buses up from Mellieha and beyond!

Let's not blame the tourists or expats.
It has been a mess since forever say the locals.
Certain bus routes have 1 bus/hour... how the hell is it possible to expect a "full service".
In example,  San Pawl Il Bahar to Mosta (12 minutes travel) there are 3 different bus numbers, in total 4 an hour...well, believe me it takes me up to over an hour to be able to hop on one of them. Each bus route should have 4 buses an hour...which would end up to 12 possible ways to go to Mosta per hour.
Not to mention the 222 to go to St Julian's which is a total nightmare.

I wasn't blaming the tourists or expats (?) I guess my problem is that I catch the 37, which is a one bus an hour and it gets filled up with tourists and passes the locals by. Yes, the company should a.) Put on more buses or b.) let the 37 go to the hospital only, that way it's not filled with people going to Valletta and lets the locals get to the hospital/university on time.

coxf0001 wrote:

I wasn't blaming the tourists or expats (?) I guess my problem is that I catch the 37, which is a one bus an hour and it gets filled up with tourists and passes the locals by. Yes, the company should a.) Put on more buses or b.) let the 37 go to the hospital only, that way it's not filled with people going to Valletta and lets the locals get to the hospital/university on time.

Yup, agreed. The entire route plan should be revisited no doubt!