How much to quote ???

Dear all,

I'm Rohit, from Bangalore,india.
I've been working for a company here in India for past 1.5 yrs of which I stayed there in Muscat on deputation for around 8 months (1 + 5+ 2 months) in three tenures.

Now based on my good performance, company is deciding me to shift me permanently to Muscat along with family in December as ENGAGEMENT MANAGER
Proposal on salary and accommodation etc has not taken place yet.It 'll be there in couple of days.
I've two months (for now) old kid, We three have to come there to settle for longer term (1 or 1+ yrs stay).

Kindly advice me how much I need to ask for as salary because, I don't know risks and expenses associated with months baby there.Previously we were couple without kid,so we had nice time..now we are tensed if we can manage there and save something.

For now my Indian salary is 7.5 L.Suggest me how much OMR should i ask for...

Thank to all..in advance..
-Rohit M

I guess 600 OMR p.m + housing and insurance would be enough !

Maybe they would hook you up with the same pay you're receiving in India !

Anything above 600 OMR with benefits is okay !

Thanks  :cheers:

thanks for your reply..however considering baby's expenses like vaccinations, infant formula, diapers,wipes etc etc.. will 600 be suffice (with facilities)..how much i can save per month?
(We lead a normal (upper middle class ) life style without any habits which burn my pockets...   ;)   )

Sumitran sir, pls suggest me..!!!

rohitm2yu wrote:

Dear all,

I'm Rohit, from Bangalore,india.
I've been working for a company here in India for past 1.5 yrs of which I stayed there in Muscat on deputation for around 8 months (1 + 5+ 2 months) in three tenures.

Now based on my good performance, company is deciding me to shift me permanently to Muscat along with family in December as ENGAGEMENT MANAGER
Proposal on salary and accommodation etc has not taken place yet.It 'll be there in couple of days.
I've two months (for now) old kid, We three have to come there to settle for longer term (1 or 1+ yrs stay).

Kindly advice me how much I need to ask for as salary because, I don't know risks and expenses associated with months baby there.Previously we were couple without kid,so we had nice time..now we are tensed if we can manage there and save something.

For now my Indian salary is 7.5 L.Suggest me how much OMR should i ask for...

Thank to all..in advance..
-Rohit M

Hi Rohit M,

You have a combined working experience of only 1.5 years - which is not much. So straightaway you can hope to receive only a beginner's salary.

You must be aware of the cost of living in Muscat, since you have already stayed here for 8 months in the recent past.

Vaccination schedule for your child would be an expensive affair. You can only go to the private polyclinics and they would rip you off for sure.

What would your total package include / exclude ?  Have you been offered family status ? If yes, then your salary has to be a minimum of R.O. 600/month.

'Engagement Manager' would be for which sector, as salaries could vary between sectors.

Even if you are offered R.O. 600/month, with accommodation, I think it would be a good deal.

Good luck.

Thanks a lot sir for your reply.
However I would like to clarify some confusion regarding my experience.
I'm 10+ experienced in IT, presently working as PM for Couple of Oman clients.
Vaccinations is my major concern and am a bit worried if it overshoots my budget initially.

What would your total package include / exclude ?  Have you been offered family status ? If yes, then your salary has to be a minimum of R.O. 600/month.

Inclusions/exclusions yet to discuss along with overall package. The very purpose of this thread is to assess and negotiate about my package along with inclusions/exclusions. They are giving family status ..am having 2 yrs card already,now ll be processing family joining for my wife n son.

'Engagement Manager' would be for which sector, as salaries could vary between sectors.

It would be for IT sector only..

Though i've an idea on cost of living there, i am not sure how much it varies when i'm planning to settle down along with my family..hence the confusion..  :(

Waiting for ur reply sir..thank u in advance

rohitm2yu wrote:

Sumitran sir, pls suggest me..!!!

Dear Rohit,
You already have a 2 year resident permit (As what i can read), and still you're asking how much to quote ? Doesn't it look fishy somewhere ?

We can not suggest you how much to quote, however, the only option you have is to wait till your employer quotes you a salary and then you can ask for an advice which would be kinda cleared and briefed. We cannot suggest you anything in the air.

P.S, in Oman, for a similar position, salaries vary from 3 figures to 4 figures in different organizations.

Hence, please be specific in what you ask.

Regards.

Dear Schaz...first of all thanks for your reply.

If u understand my concern of asking for how much to quote..u wouldnt have got a feeling of FISHY SOMEWHERE..
I don't know what exactly u mean that 'fishy somewhere' clause...

Just to clarify u few things again (so that u may help me out with more understanding):
1. I've 2 yrs visa..i stayed there for 8 months (6 months alone..2 months with my wife) both times in Company guest house only
2.I've an idea on general expenses there..Now i have 2 months old baby(first baby) ..my family may join in Jan (by then baby would be 3 months old)...I dnt have any idea on expenses that may occur for the baby like immunization etc.
3. This time I'm RELOCATING to Muscat for longer stay..which may have implications on Cost/baby health etc..which I'm not aware of..hence i needed support in gaining some idea on what to ask with management during discussion on relocation..

4. Anyways once i have a discussion with management, i'll again request for all our friend's opinion (if needed) before that I wanted to have some option thought for me.

We can not suggest you how much to quote, however, the only option you have is to wait till your employer quotes you a salary and then you can ask for an advice which would be kinda cleared and briefed. We cannot suggest you anything in the air.

You can suggest me only when i get back with employer's quote..I'm expecting somebody else who understands my concern and help me arrive at a conclusion on what i want..

Once again thanks for ur suggestions...one request : pls be sure of the words u use (like fishy etc)...if not..kindly rephrase sentences with simpler English which can convey ur exact feelings...
If u can't understand the concerns...u should not comment just like that..

Hello Schaz (Shabbir)
Is 1500 OMR + medical insurance alright for a bachelor person. (Apart, Car, Food is all on me)

1) Also, do you know where to look for a used car?
2) Where to look for one bedroom apartments (range between 280-375 OMR) in areas (north or south Ghubra & north Al-Azabah..
3) Car hire would cost me how much for one month from a rent-a-car company? And any idea from which company i should hire a car?

Thanks a lot!

Hello Schaz (Shabbir)

I am planning to be in Muscat in the first week of January 2015. I will be joining an American oil company and they are paying me approx 1,500 OMR (accommodation, car, food is all on me). I am a bachelor.
I read from your previous posts that you have quite a good knowledge about Muscat in regards to practically everything and am glad that I joined this forum. I have few questions which I would appreciate if you would reply to whenever time permits you, no rush at all.
Thanks a lot!

1)    I am looking for a one bedroom apartment with pool and gym preferably but not necessary,……….. in areas of (north & south Ghubra and north Al-Azabah). I would also like supermarkets or small groceries stores, laundry, shopping  area etc to be around that apartments.
Many people on this forum mentioned that monthly rent would be around 280 to 375 for an unfurnished apartment.  I also would like to know how much it would cost for a furnished one bedroom apartment in these above locations? I have a very simple life style. I do not smoke or drink.
Would you able to guide me in respect of apartment rental websites?
2)    Where to buy house-hold appliances and furniture? Not necessarily brand new!
3)    On this forum many people have mentioned that monthly cost to hire a car is approx 150/200, whereas on Avis, Europcar etc websites I got a quote of approx 350 a month?
4)    From where to buy a used car? My budget is approx  2000 to 3500 OMR?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Shabbir/Sumitran sir and all other friends...
Finally I got my salary details from the company after waiting for so long..the offering is 550 omr per month with accommodation.
Will this be enough?How much i can save as we are family of three (me,my wife and 2+months old kid)
My job needs frequent visits to various clients on daily basis.
So suggest what can i ask for as a total package?
How about daily travel expenses?

Kindly suggest me some good negotiable figure and what facilities ask for which allows me to take care of my daily expenses and save decently....

rohitm2yu wrote:

Dear Shabbir/Sumitran sir and all other friends...
Finally I got my salary details from the company after waiting for so long..the offering is 550 omr per month with accommodation.
Will this be enough?How much i can save as we are family of three (me,my wife and 2+months old kid)
My job needs frequent visits to various clients on daily basis.
So suggest what can i ask for as a total package?
How about daily travel expenses?

Kindly suggest me some good negotiable figure and what facilities ask for which allows me to take care of my daily expenses and save decently....

Hi rohitm2yu,

The salary for someone having over a decade's working experience is ... very low.

What about medical insurance for your wife and child ? It must be a part of your package. Else, medical bills can set you back badly - even if it is some minor ailment. In any case, you would have to bear all the immunisation expenses, which would be rather heavy.

What about annual airfare for your family ? That should also be included in your package.

Since your job would require you to be mobile, you must get a local driving licence. At a very modest and conservative estimate, it would take you about 6 months and would cost you around a thousand rials.

Using public transport system in Muscat is not simple and the services are not user friendly. How much it would cost you would depend on how often and how far you have to travel daily.

Trust your company would be providing you with furnished accommodation. Else ask.

Your total package inclusive of family medical insurance, annual airfare for the full family, fully furnished accommidation, et al should be at
least R.O. 1,000/- if you want to lead a comfortable life and slso save some decent amount every month. Else, suggest you rethink the offer.

Good luck.

Thanks a lot sir for the inputs,..annual air travel,visa expenses are included in the package.
However no medical insurance..as the company is too small.
They said they can reimburse medical bills for ailments (not immunization part).
I'll try to negotiate and update u..thanks again,..,

rohitm2yu wrote:

Thanks a lot sir for the inputs,..annual air travel,visa expenses are included in the package.
However no medical insurance..as the company is too small.
They said they can reimburse medical bills for ailments (not immunization part).
I'll try to negotiate and update u..thanks again,..,

Dear Rohit,
I just missed this post and saw all the messages now. My  sincere apologizes if you're ever hurt with any of my statement (Believe I didn't mean to be rude). May be the "Way" i thought was wrong or I didn't get it.

Anyway, pertaining to your queries, our dearest Mr. Sumitran has already shed enough light, however please be informed that medical in Oman is one of the most expensive concern and if, by chance, you've not considered a good care center, trust me you'll be serious over it. Hence, my advise is to negotiate with your company for full medical coverage for you and your family.

Secondly, the quoted amount is somehow satisfactory (If accomodation is provided), but based on your job profile, you can have room of further negotation a bit....!!!

Once again, on a personal note, please accept my apologize and  best of luck for the job tenure.

:)

Dear Shabber,
I'm happy for ur humbleness.
After first round of negotiation, company has agreed to pay OMR 560 as gross monthly (400 Gross sal & 160 Living allowance) with family visa,accommodation etc as mentioned earlier.
They mentioned one point which i'm not clear: They said Vaccinations are FREE in Govt hospitals there in Muscat.

Company as usually promising with performance allowances etc..Medical they said they ll reimburse expenses-still I'm seeking more clarity on what ll be reimbursed and how emergency situations ll be handled etc.

I'm thinking of negotiating for OMR 600 - 700 (in between)..pls advise if that is a wise move?

Also pls share if u have any confirmation on 12.36% service tax on remittances- and how much agents are charging coz of that ? (previously I paid 2.5 OMR once when i remitted some amt from Global exchange or something similar)

Once again I'm happy to connect with open heart ppl like u... thanks again

Dear brother Rohit,
You must should keep in mind that you can only obtain the permanent/resident visa of your family if your basic salary is OMR 600. This is as per the omani law for family joining visas. However, you can only get a visit visa.
Hence, my suggestion to you is to get a clarification from your employer on this, before joining.

For the children's vaccination, yes, the govt. provide free vaccinations at the Govt. health centers .

for remittance, a new law of 2% tax has been introduced which will be effective shortly for all the money transfer transactions via exchange or other sources.

So best of luck and please get the salary package clarity from ur employer.

rohitm2yu wrote:

Also pls share if u have any confirmation on 12.36% service tax on remittances- and how much agents are charging coz of that ? (previously I paid 2.5 OMR once when i remitted some amt from Global exchange or something similar)

Hi rohitm2yu,

Omani government is most likely to levy a 2% remittance tax very soon on all funds being transferred out of the Sultanate, while the Indian government will be charging 12.36% service tax on all incoming deposits / remittances. There has been no official communiqué on this yet from the Indian authorities to the money exchanges here in Oman.

Please note this is not to be confused with 12.36% of the total amount being remitted / transferred. It is only on the 'service tax' on the total amount being transferred.