Basic needs for a family - seeking advice

Hi all,

Lots of questions... Please help! I'll be moving to Oman with my husband and baby soon.

1) What's the best place to shop for groceries in Muscat - value for money, decent shopping experience ? Are there places that deliver groceries home?

2) is household help easily available? What would be the cost of a part time maid - someone who cooks, cleans and does basic household chores? 3-4 hours everyday... How much more is it for someone who works for 6-7 hours a day?

3) Can anyone list a few options (other than The Wave / Muscat Hills) on apartments / gated communities that have a gym and pool?

4) any moms groups?

5) Do Indians on a resident visa need a visa to enter UAE? How much does it cost?

Thanks

Hello and Welcome to Oman

You have many question but I will try to answer them one by one :)

1) What's the best place to shop for groceries in Muscat ?

It depends where will you stay in Muscat. Muscat is the province name and consists of many cities like Seeb but most likely you will stay around Muttrah or Al Khuwair where there are big markets in those two ares
However, you can find many Hyper Markets and Malls in Muscat Like LuLu , Grand mall , Carrefour and Mirah

- value for money, decent shopping experience ? Are there places that deliver groceries home?

1 US $ = R.O.  0.386
Home delivery groceries are very few but it depends on your agreement with the shopkeeper

2) is household help easily available? What would be the cost of a part time maid - someone who cooks, cleans and does basic household chores? 3-4 hours everyday... How much more is it for someone who works for 6-7 hours a day?

Sorry, Its against law to have a maid part time. This should be with full contract ( Two years ) .

3) Can anyone list a few options (other than The Wave / Muscat Hills) on apartments / gated communities that have a gym and pool?

No Idea
4) any moms groups?

No Idea
5) Do Indians on a resident visa need a visa to enter UAE? How much does it cost

Yes

its R.O. 25/-

Deepbluesea wrote:

Hi all,

Lots of questions... Please help! I'll be moving to Oman with my husband and baby soon.

1) What's the best place to shop for groceries in Muscat - value for money, decent shopping experience ? Are there places that deliver groceries home?

I prefer Carrefour and Al Fair ...Lulu is too much crowded

You can get part time maid through referrals, but as per the law not allowed.

check Dolphin Village in Bowsher

4) any moms groups?

Muscat Mums

5) Do Indians on a resident visa need a visa to enter UAE? How much does it cost?
Depends on the profession indicated on your resident card, certain professions are allowed to get visa on arrival, if I am not mistaken it is RO 20/- but pre-arranged visa would cost from RO 50/- and up

Thanks

hexebella wrote:

Depends on the profession indicated on your resident card, certain professions are allowed to get visa on arrival, if I am not mistaken it is RO 20/- but pre-arranged visa would cost from RO 50/- and up

Thanks

Hi hexebella
Do expat doctors traveling from Oman get Visa on arrival in Dubai?
Thanks.