Moving to Malta with Non-Eu Spouse

I realise there are lots of similar posts, but perhaps you could help me with some questions that I cant find the answer to

Me - Irish Citizen
Her - Non-EU Spouse
Currently Living - Outside EU

Have just quit my job and plan to relocate to Malta (I am familiar with the country as visited it many times) - I hope to find a job in the offshore gambling industry, however, we plan to go down the "self-sufficient" route initially

My wife already has a Schengen tourist visa (issued by a 3rd country), we will visit that country FIRST before heading to Malta

The problem we have is that the visa is only for 45 days, and runs out towards the end of the year, but due to previous work commitments we won't arrive in Malta until around 20th December

I have read on other forums, that my wife will automatically receive 90 days, but I am worried due to the date that is specified on the visa

My second concern, is that arriving just a few days before Christmas, that will leave very little time to get registered, and of course we won't have somewhere to live, so will probably have to stay in a hotel for a few weeks.

Can we register using a hotel address? We do have friends in Malta, could we use their address?

My main concern is that arriving with only a few days left on the visa (probably less than 10), will cause problems with the residency application process

Also, one last general question, we obviously won't have a return flight booked for BEFORE the expiry date of the visa, is this likely to be a problem when we first enter the Schengen zone?

Hello lip,

you should not worry. Since she is your spouse, your wife cannot be required to apply for a residence card during the first 3 months of her stay in Malta; you'll have plenty of time to sort out the formalities in the new year before she'll have to register her residence around mid-March.

See

europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/residence/documents-formalities/non-eu-family-members-residence-card/index_en.htm#!lightbox-uid-0]

Your Europe: Registering your non-EU family members in another EU country and more specifically

europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/residence/documents-formalities/non-eu-family-members-residence-card/malta/index_en.htm

Good luck!

Hi All

I will update this thread concerning my progress for applying for residency in Malta

Arrived Sunday 21st December

Moved into apartment Sunday 4th January (both of our names are listed on the lease)

Arranged Health Insurance with Gasanmamo Wednesday 21st January

Completed Form J for me & Form F for my wife

Also, had a copy of both passports (& originals)
copy of marriage certificate (& original),
copy of wife's birth certificate (& original) - not sure if this is required but just brought it anyway
copy of health insurance (& original)
Original bank statements

First Mistake - failed to complete forms ID 1A & ID 2 for both of us, and Electoral Form for me (also didn't have any passport photos)

Thursday 22nd January 8:30am

Second Mistake - went to Castille Place, and was then advised of the correct location:
Evans Building, St Elmo Place, Valletta VLT 1754

Although there were a lot of people there, managed to quickly speak to a helpful person on the reception, who checked our documents and advised that there was a new policy from 1st January 2015, that now requires the passport copy and photos to be signed by a doctor, lawyer or a priest.

He also gave us blank copies of our missing forms (ID 1A & 2 & Electoral Form)

As we have only been in Malta for one month, we don't know any doctors or priests, so have decided to find a lawyer for the documents to be signed (I presume this is a form of notarising)

If anyone can recommend a lawyer for this task, please advise

If not, we will try to do this on Friday and return to the office on Monday morning

Thanks for this update.  Non eu recently arrived myself so it was very helpful to get such up to date information.  Please carry on as your proceed.  Am about myself to submit Form K with appropriate inclusions.

I am doubtful as to the veracity of what you were informed. There should be no need to have those things notarised. If you have the originals to show then they can and should accept them because they can check them. That is what we did., some time ago mind. Also I have not seen any published information requiring this, They also used to take the photos required at the place themselves.

Can you please give us information and contact of Health Insurance and approximately what they charge per month and what approximately they cover.

Kind Regards,
Manu.

With regard to the insurance, we used Gasanmamo

They advised the minimum cover was "In-Patient Key Plan", for my wife and I the annual premiums were around 400 Euros (obviously this will differ if you are younger/older etc)

gasanmamo.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/Sana-table-of-benefits-as-from-01-08-2014-without-rates.pdf

Further Update

Arranged for the passport copies and photographs to be "notarised" by a lawyer in Sliema at the cost of 85 Euros!

This was for two copies of each passport and two copies of 2 each photos

We wanted to arrive early at the Evans building on Monday, so we could be first in the queue, however, when we got there at 07:15, we were surprised to see that the doors were already open and we were able to walk straight in and speak to the (same) guy at the reception

He looked through all our documents, however, no more than cursory glances, took the notarised passport copies, but only one notarised photo, and a second regular photo

Therefore for my documents, I supplied:

Form J
Form 1A
Form 2
Electoral Form
2 x Notarised Copies of passport
1 x Notarised Photo
1 x Regular Photo
Bank Statements
Copy of Health Insurance Certificate (did not want the original)
Copy of Rental Agreement (did not want the original)

For my wife:

Form F
Form 1A
Form 2
Electoral Form
2 x Notarised Copies of passport
1 x Notarised Photo
1 x Regular Photo
Copy of Health Insurance Certificate (did not want the original)
Copy of Marriage Certificate (did not want the original)
Copy of Birth Certificate (did not want the original)
Copy of Rental Agreement (did not want the original)

We were also able to keep our passports (I thought these had to be submitted as well)

He then said, that it will take around 2 months, we will receive a letter and then we can go and collect our ID cards

I left the building, feeling somewhat worried, that there will be something missing or we have have made a mistake and we will have to go through the whole process again........either that or he was happy with what he saw!

llp wrote:

I left the building, feeling somewhat worried, that there will be something missing or we have have made a mistake and we will have to go through the whole process again........either that or he was happy with what he saw!

yes i think everyone feels that way  the communication is virtually non existent but if you hadnt got something they would tell you,
so sit back don't worry because essentially its all just an administration exercise as your an eu citizen and have the right to remain. Wait for letter to arrive

Can you please assist us with following few questions:

Is Birth Certificate Required for Both Wife and Husband ?

Is all Passport pages need to be notary of just the front and back main pages.

Re: Marriage Certificate I have of last year dated and the original 15 years back will that work or have to get a new updated issued.

Thanks for your reply.  Maria

Hi

Sorry did not reply earlier, was just returning to thread with my latest update and noticed your questions

Birth Certificate for the non-Eu citizen, was not required for EU

Notarising was for the photo pages

Not sure about the Marriage Certificate, ours was from 2013 and was a "super-legalised" version (special stamp/paper)

Nearly 3 months have elapsed without an email, letter or phone call

Decided to visit them in person last Thursday (16th April)

Was advised by the helpful receptionist, that our names "were in the system", but due to two staff members having recently resigned, there was only one person processing the forms!  :joking:

I explained that we needed to travel abroad quite soon, and she said that she would mark my wife's application as urgent (the logic being that, I, as an EU citizen could just use my passport, and therefore would wait even longer for the card)

Also, I don't know if everyone is aware, but UK/EU citizens can now visit the UK with their non-EU partners provided they have been issued with the family member residency card.....details here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Residence_ … on_citizen

thank you very much for updates!

Well if you fancy subletting to make a little cash I'm coming soon to look for work. My non-EU wife and child will be joining me soon after and it would be great to know someone that's going through the same stuff!

Thank you very much for the updates.

I have applied for the residency card under self-sufficiency category on 12.03.2015. Its been 2 months now and no emails or mail !!.

Please keep us posted as soon as yours arrive so at least we can estimate our waiting time.

Best regards,

Hi All

Sorry for the late reply:

We visited the office again on Tuesday 28th April, and was told someone would phone us later with an update

And true to their word, we received a call after lunch, advising that the cards were ready!

So back down to Evans building the following day, where we collected them without issue

Sorry again for not advising everyone sooner, but the next day we went abroad to an event (that I thought we were going to have to miss!)

On returning, we found the computer generated PIN advice in our mailbox - the letters were post-marked 30th April, but not sure of the exact date when they arrived as we were away

Hope this is of help to other people

This is extremely useful for me in my current situation. Thanks. Sorry to jump into your thread but maybe you can help us.

I'm from the UK but living in Indonesia. I've accepted a job offer in Malta and we plan to move on the 19th June. I'm married to an Indonesian and we're in the process of trying to get a Schengen (Maltese) Visa. We're having problems because Malta don't have an Embassy here so we're having to apply to the Austrian Embassy who have a service working on behalf of the Maltese Consulate. The Austrian Embassy website is not very useful to say the least, giving no details of exact requirement in terms of documentation. I've asked them the question and they've just referred me back to the website. I've asked them again and we await their response but we're running out of time.

We're flying into Amsterdam on the 19th June (flights booked) and plan to stepping stone to Malta from there. We weren't planning on leaving the airport. We can't apply for a Netherlands Schengen because they have no appointments available until the end of June (with Indonesia being an ex Dutch colony, I suspect they are very busy during the summer holiday period).

So, my question is (sorry I've got there eventually) if we apply for say a Spanish visa (they have a same day turnaround and a useful Embassy that have confirmed exactly what's required (we were originally going to Spain hence knowing what they require)), could we simply fly into the Netherlands and not even go to Spain i.e. just go to Malta, do you think? Will we have any problems in either the Netherlands or Malta. A similar situation to yours I think. Apologies for jumping on the back of your thread. Let me know if you'd like me to start a new thread save polluting yours.

Your point about the medical insurance, I thought that you only needed coverage whilst you weren't working. As soon as you earn and pay in the NI program then you and your wife will get full cover under the Maltese Healthcare System. I might be wrong but I'm pretty sure I'm not. You may be entitled to a rebate if you cancel your policy (assuming you're working). Just a thought.

Thanks again for your thread. I'll be referring to this when we eventually arrive (fingers crossed) and apply for residency.

Kind regards.

Started my own thread  :thanks: