Breaking contracts with local language institutes

I've signed a contract with a locally owned language centre, and one of the clauses states that if I breach the contract I must pay 1000 JD to the employer. They explained that this is to prevent teachers from leaving on short notice (one month notice is required in this contract).
Does anyone know what happens if I do breach the contract — if I am only able to give 2 or 3 weeks notice due to a new job or if they claim that I breach the contract for some other reason.
A) Is this money collectable?
B) Is it collectable without investigation or proof, just the institute's word against mine?

Thanks!

I have no idea but if you signed it,  it means you agreed.

Thank you for the reply.. I am aware of what signing a contract implies, hence the title of the post "breaking contracts..."  :)

My question is more about the arbitration process if the employer claims I broke the contract (even in the case that I do not break it, it is possible for an unethical employer to still claim I did in order to try to collect this money).

One of the reasons for my concern is that I've found 2 clauses in my contract that have been mistranslated, with the English version being what was agreed upon but the Arabic version something else (both the centre and I signed both contracts). My Arabic reading skills aren't quite good enough, and even though I pointed specifically to one of these clauses with questions, I was assured by the fluent English speakers in the office that they were exact translations (which is very clearly to me now an outright lie). I am aware that signing the contract in haste was my error, but now I am asking advice on leaving the contract in case things go wrong.

I am just trying to help you so if it makes no sense then I am sorry.
Claim that the translation is not correct and based on the incorrect translation you signed. If this is not going to work then you have to hire a lawyer...

Generally speaking under civil law in almost every country a contract, once signed by both parties (especially if notarized) is binding and will be upheld by the courts without question. About the only exception to this rule of thumb is in cases where the contract, in and of itself, is illegal.

If you had doubts about any of the clauses due to what you perceived to be faulty translation, the time to resolve those doubts was before signing the contract.

If the contract stipulates a minimum of 30 days notice of intent to terminate the contract and specifies a contractual fine for any breach of contract, you're bound by that without any doubt. It is quite likely you are also required to provide notice in writing and you should do this at any rate, whether or not required by the contract. If you are unable to provide the required notice then you're just going to have to bite the bullet and accept the fine, especially if your leaving is motivated by taking other employment. While courts in some jurisdictions might take into consideration breaching a contract as the result of (proven) emergency situations, such as serious illness or death in the family. They are also required to consider the employer's expenses especially if those were incurred in order to secure your visa and other necessary documentation, they will clearly not have a very positive view of walking out on a job just to take another one. The courts are going to deal only with the legal obligations imposed upon you by the contract.

If there is no possibility of delaying the start date of your new job in order to afford you the opportunity to provide adequate notice to your present employer then there is simply no out for you.

Regarding an "unethical" employer claiming you breached a contract, why would an employer even bother to try and fabricate proof of a breach when in most cases the breach is quite evident and easy to prove, especially not providing sufficient notice.

Sorry, I don't even see how a lawyer is going to be able to help you out with this one. Contracts are generally not subject to "interpretation" by the courts, generally speaking they must enforce ONLY what is contained in the body of the agreement. In most cases there's really little "budge room" when you're talking about contract law.

Cheers,
William James Woodward, Expat-blog Experts Team

Jordanian Labour Law governs the time period that you are required to give notice to your employer. However if you signed an agreement stipulating that you will pay a certain amount of money if you give less than the required notice period in the contract then that is legally binding.

As for the other conditions it is difficult to give advice without seeing the contract. It could be possible that some of the stipulations may not be legally binding. If something is borderline then you should be aware that Jordanian courts tend to favour the employee over the company so that is to your benefit.

My advice would be to speak to a Jordanian lawyer who is fluent in English and have them read the contract for you. Lawyers in Jordan are much more affordable than the UK or other western countries. Message me privately and I can give you some contacts.

Jeff

nothing break the contract before the end of the 90 days..or drive them crazy so they can fire you!

Do u have a copy of the contract? I can read it...
urs

I think you should ask your new job's management to pay your penalty for you... if they really need you that fast within less than a month they would pay it for you...maybe with no return if they really like you as their new employee or you would arrange with them some payback period! :) good luck if there's still enough time :)