What will the customs ask me when I arrive in Canada?

Hi,

I'm British and will be coming to Toronto soon to join my Canadian boyfriend. I'm aware that I will be a 6-month visitor, but wonder what the Customs will ask me on arrival. My plan is to try to get a job/work permit during the 6 months in order to stay longer. Obviously, if I don't then I'll have to return to the UK before the end of the 6 months. What should I tell the customs on arrival - that I want to look for work or that I'm just visiting? Will they ask for proof of a return ticket, want proof of what money I have, where I'll be staying, etc?

Any info. much appreciated.

Many thanks.

Hi chicadeb,

Personally I think its best not to say anything, I mean you still don't know about your job prospects so you cant really tell them that you came to work. You're just a visitor visiting your boyfriend, and if you do decide to stay and work its much easier to go through the paper work once your on this side or the border. They will ask for how long are you planning to stay?, who are you visiting?what the purpose of your visit? just tell them the truth: I am visiting my boyfriend planning to stay for 6 months, will see after that, will travel a bit though Canada with him etc.just a vacation with a loved one...

Dan

Very true.  I have nothing to hide, just wanted to be prepared for what they may ask me.  Thanks, Dan.