Attorney/Lawyer positions for fresh law school graduates

Hi all,

I am just wondering what the legal market is like in Tangier. I am finishing up an LLM in Intellectual Property Law, and completed my JD in Hong Kong. Is it completely out of the question to consider beginning work abroad in Tangier with no experience? If someone could shed light on American qualified attorneys in Tangier for me, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks a ton.

Boris

I'm sorry that this doesn't answer your question, but I would of thought opportunities for Lawyers is better in the USA, and elsewhere outside of Morocco, judging from the number of Moroccan Professionals who are seeking opportunities abroad.

Hi,

my reply might come late but hope it will be of help even at that stage.

I work in the legal sector and I can tell you that the market of professional law firms is not yet saturated especially in Tangier, however, Morocco has its own legal system thus the positions would be open for candidates who are familiarized with local laws and master arabic and/or french (besides english), as the first are the languages of the administration and the widely spoken. Am available for any further queries you might have.

cheers

Be aware that you need, as in all Arabic countries, Modern Standard Arabic to work in the court system. French is not permitted in the courts in Morocco any more, as English is no longer permitted in Jordan, for example. All statements are taken in MSA in both criminal and civil cases.

How do I know this? I am coming to work in Morocco and I have had to research the position as regards my job, my employer, declarations we have to make, registrations at the court and so on. I'm afraid that the alleged legal expert who says that French can be used is incorrect.

As a general rule, moreover, don't write privately to people who claim to be experts and say they want to "help" you.

Sven, this is to complete your Holistic info as you seem to know everything about Morocco and Moroccans that you insist to put in the same basket.
On one hand, if the person has in mind to practice as a lawyer in a different country he should be aware of the official language, especially that he has identified Tangier as a city for a reason that we ignore. being said that, he should also have in mind, as it is a practice all over the world that there are certain eligibility criteria  to be able to practice as an attorney, first of it nationality. This is the reason why I mentioned a LAW FIRM offering legal advice services (excluding the option of working as an independent attorney), a modern law firm concept in morocco legal market does not necessarily require from the applicant mastering arabic, as he will be working with a team of various attorneys and advisors of different backgrounds. and if the need arises to go to court (which is not always the case in the Corporate and commercial area), the firm can always appoint/subcontract a duly qualified Moroccan lawyer, on a case by case basis, such lawyer mainly masters Classical arabic, and who in most of the cases is not able to communicate with representatives of multinational companies due to language barrier, and this is where the law firm intervenes as the interlocutor with the client...in the private sector french is mainly used as well as in the rest of administrations and to apply for a foreign employee visa this is not a problem, how do I know it? I have worked on many applications!

on the other hand and this is for you Boris, with regards to the Intellectual property law, it is not yet a developed area but the country is under international pressure to conform his legislation and repression measures to the international standards.

Hia032, was going to put in my two cents worth,  I couldn't have put it in better words. I have nothing to add.