Moving to Danang with a dog and a cat

I will be moving to Da Nang in December with my fiancee, our dog, and our cat. We rescued both animals in Seoul, where we currently live. We will be renting a house, which will hopefully have good security. Recently, though, my fiancee has been reading a lot about dognapping and it's very alarming. We know to keep the dog on a short leash (she is a Jindo mix ~8 kg), never walk her on a schedule, etc. But what about break ins? How often are dogs abducted from a locked house? Are foreigners more likely targets? What else can we do to prevent our pets from being stolen? If dognappers on motorbikes take the dog, can we offer money to them then and there? Is it recommended to get pepper spray? What is the likelihood an indoor cat will be taken upon a break in?

I'm sorry for all the questions. We are very worried and don't know what legal protections there are. We were very much looking forward to bringing our dog to a big house and taking her to the beach regularly. She loves the beach! But now we don't know if that is a good idea. What are some good options to keep our pets safe? Thanks in advance!

Dog Nappers are predominantly a HCM and Ha Noi phenomenon - people living in allegedly wealthier areas - where owners take their pure bred pets for a walk and let them run loose on a park.

There is at least one trained animal vet in Da Nang.

It's unlikely someone would actually break-in for a pet! They are something valuable and easily sold.

Rest easy, Da Nang is way more safe than some parts of other larger cities.

Thank you Jaitch. I thought the same thing about the safety of Da Nang until I was told about an incident there. I'm hoping it's rare and Da Nang is still a relatively safe place for the pets. Thanks for relieving a bit of stress. :)

mary.eliza wrote:

Thank you Jaitch. I thought the same thing about the safety of Da Nang until I was told about an incident there. I'm hoping it's rare and Da Nang is still a relatively safe place for the pets. Thanks for relieving a bit of stress. :)

South of DN, dog napping is big business, many dogs have been stolen from my area, even the farmers are erecting fences/walls around their houses now, ( some even have gates ), but many farmers are known to have " breeding " stock, so the thieves will possibly know of their addresses. ( probably in cahoots with the many dog buyers ), These mongrels will even steal a dog in broad daylight, on m/b's, same as bag snatchers, but a few have had Karma catch up with them , ( along with several of the dogs owners and friends ), they were beaten to death, and their m/b set on fire, they won't be doing it again.
  The other day, I saw a dog buyer with a cat, a dog and a PIGEON in his cage, strange when animals are scared shitless, they forget who the enemy is?

mary.eliza wrote:

Thanks for relieving a bit of stress.

Want some stress? Think about the storms between August and November! EVERY YEAR!

https://images.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http%3A%2F%2Fimg.cdn2.vietnamnet.vn%2FImages%2Fenglish%2F2013%2F10%2F16%2F16%2F20131016162138-2.jpg&f=1

https://images.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http%3A%2F%2Fstatic.tuoitre.vn%2F2013%2F10%2FtIzRnr4L.jpg&f=1

Bring long/tall rubber boots!

I remember clearly the day i saw a small truck with some men and a net driving alone the street to stealing dogs. Really shocked. That's why i dont have any dog.

Dejavu.dot wrote:

I remember clearly the day i saw a small truck with some men and a net driving alone the street to stealing dogs.

First of all - did you take the truck number/name? Did you report it?

Secondly, this happens elsewhere BUT it is the Peoples Committees dog catcher detail out on patrol - in other words catching strays.

I don't hesitate to get info if I see something happening - easier if you have a POV - I have seen trucks dumping building garbage and I know for a fact the information was acted upon.

You are the first line of defence against these things. Might sound old fashioned but if YOU were the victim, what would YOU want people to do? Another problem is VNese are often afraid of dealing with Cong An.

Jaitch wrote:
Dejavu.dot wrote:

I remember clearly the day i saw a small truck with some men and a net driving alone the street to stealing dogs.

Another problem is VNese are often afraid of dealing with Cong An.

At that time I didn't take my mobile with me.

Maybe yes. I reported to policemen when my jewelry was robbed in the street. They didn't do anything. They're afraid of revenge.

Ok, so I take it dognapping is a mild threat. So if my dog is kept in a gated house yard while I'm outside with her, and inside a locked home while I'm away, as well as walked very close to me when going to the beach, she's in no real danger?

Jaitch, are those recent pictures? I really enjoyed the rain there in August but had no idea it could be that disastrous regularly!

mary.eliza wrote:

Ok, so I take it dognapping is a mild threat. So if my dog is kept in a gated house yard while I'm outside with her, and inside a locked home while I'm away, as well as walked very close to me when going to the beach, she's in no real danger?

Jaitch, are those recent pictures? I really enjoyed the rain there in August but had no idea it could be that disastrous regularly!

It's not just the rain, it's the breeze that comes with the typhoons, that does the damage, but not as bad as a few years ago, now they actually screw/nail the iron sheets onto their roof's, and go around molesting many trees,  a day or 2 before the storm.( helps save the power lines ).

Moderated by kenjee 8 years ago
Reason : Promotion of services not allowed. You may register your services in our Business Directory

Don't worry too much if your dog is over 3 years old, dognappers are looking for young dogs only.
However keep in a safe place your cat.
Something about dogs you can read here: http://sergiobalaccoscrittore.blogspot. … t-dog.html

Hi,
I have been introducing many houses to my foreign clients, they also raised cats or dogs and there has been no problem until now. It is important that you should keep quiet to your neighbors.
If you want to find a house, please contact with me.
Best regards,

Joss15 wrote:

Don't worry too much if your dog is over 3 years old, dognappers are looking for young dogs only.
However keep in a safe place your cat.
Something about dogs you can read here: http://sergiobalaccoscrittore.blogspot. … t-dog.html

Dog nappers don't care how old the dog is and will take anything they can get their hands on. The most important thing to them is the weight of the dog (they get paid by kg). The majority of the dogs stolen are sold to street venders and restaurants who serve them as beef to their customers.

BTW I realize this is an old post.

Omg, Joss15 your article is horrifying!!  I had no idea this was such a common problem... having second thoughts about moving with dogs now.

EmiCVale wrote:

Omg, Joss15 your article is horrifying!!  I had no idea this was such a common problem... having second thoughts about moving with dogs now.

Dog theft is a big problem. Firstly, they steal dogs for food, and secondly to blackmail you.