Restaurants in Singapore/ Hawker centers in Singapore

Hello everyone,

hope you are well.

Which are your 5 top restaurants in Singapore?

Any idea of the prices ?

Thank you in advance for participation !

Cheers,

Christine

I love Singapore hawker centres!
There are so many of them, the variety of food is extraordinary, and while the average quality is just "o.k. for the money", every now and then you find a real gem that makes exploring them worthwhile.
Which are your favourite hawker stalls?

Do you like Indian restaurant's?

Hi beppi,

Thank you. So you are for the hawker stall. If i came to Singapore one day, what dishes would you recommend that i must try. :)

cheers,
Christine
Expat.com team

Hello Kanvar76,

I like Indian restaurant too ;)  Do you have some addresses ?

Oh, and you too, like hawkers stall? If yes, which are your favourite hawkers stall?

Thank you ;)

there are lots of restaurants in SERANGOON ROAD like
1. BANANA LEAF IMAM,NEAR KALLANG MRT
2.APPOLLO BANANA LEAF@RACE COURSE ROAD
3. MUTHU'S CURRY
4.ANJAPPAR
Please visit Singapore and contact me

As I said, I like variety - eating a different dish at a different stall every day, without having to go to a different place.
My favourites are Hokkien Prawn  Mee, Satay, Roti Prata, Masala Dosai, Seafood Soup and Rojak, washed down with a freshly squeezed fruit juice (preferably Soursop, but it's difficult to find). For breakfast I like Idli, Lontong or the traditional favourite Kaya Toast, all with Teh Si (which is quite addictive). On a hot day, it's Sugar Cane Juice at any time for me (or Teh Si Ais).
For sheer convenience, I like the "Economic Rice" stalls of various nationalities, where you get a plate of rice and select a few of the dishes on display to be heaped on top. I call them "Point Point Rice" (a term I invented, and which is commonly used now), because you point and point at the dishes you like. It is noteworthy that many of these stalls (especially the Chinese ones in the heartland) are run by ex-convicts, who have few chances of other employment - so eating there also has a charitable aspect.
There are good (and bad) stalls at most hawker centres, but my favourite is probably Old Airport Road Food Centre for size and variety. Forget about the usual tourist traps Newton Circus, Makansutra Gluttons Bay and (probably worst of all) Lau Pa Sat!
Did you know that there are over 20000 (yes, twenty thousand!) hawker centres all over Singapore?

Hi beppi,

Thank you very much for sharing and for your tips ;) i've google these dishes, they look delicious and tasty  :D
------------------------------

If anyone want to share any recipes /tips or have any questions on foods /restaurants / hawkers stall in Singapore, please you are welcome to post on this topic :)

Thank you,
Cheers
Christine

Satay with Peanut Sauce

This Singaporean/Malaysian National Dish is definitely worth the effort. I got the recipe from a brochure published by the Malaysian Tourism Board in the early 1990ies and it's the best I ever tried. Outside of Asia, the ingredients are available in Asian shops.

Peanut Sauce:

1 tsp. tamarind pulp (soluted in a cup of boiling water, seeds removed)
1 big onion (chopped)
2 stalks lemon grass
2.5cm fresh ginger
2.5cm fresh galangal
¼ tsp. chillie powder
1 tsp. salt
300g peanut butter
Fry onion in a little oil until soft. Grind lemon grass, ginger and galangal. Mix everything and simmer until the sauce thickens. (Add water if necessary)
Satay:

1kg deboned meat (chicken, lamb and/or pork)
2 tsp. peanut butter
2 tsp. oil
1 onion (finely chopped)
½ tsp. cinnamom
1 tsp. sugar
1 tsp. salt
coriander powder, cummin, turmeric powder (1 pinch each)
wooden skewers
Marinate the meat in a mixture of the other ingredients for some hours. Put the pieces onto skewers and grill it over burning charcoal (or in a kitchen oven at 220°C).
Serve with boiled rice, peanut sauce, sliced cucumber and onions.

Fish Head Curry

Here's another Singaporean favourite. This dish is originally an invention of Indian immigrants (from Kerala) to Singapore, but nowadays loved by all races. Don't be put off by the fish head, it is delicious and contains more meat than you would imagine. Of course this recipe works with other pieces of fish as well.
2 tsp. fish curry powder (the Indian one, not the bland Western variety)
4cm cinnamom stick
6 cardamom pods
1 star anise
6 cloves
2 onions, sliced
2cm ginger root, grated
2 cloves garlic, grated
2 stalks lemon grass, cut into 4cm pieces
2 sprigs curry leaves
1 tsp. salt
½ tsp. glutamate (optional)
2 tsp. sugar
200ml coconut cream (sqeezed from freshly grated coconut or instant)
2 tbsp. tamarind pulp, dissolved in 200ml water
150g ladyfingers (okra) or eggplants
4 big tomatoes, quartered
1 fish head (600g)
coriander leaves
Fry dry spices and onion in a little oil until soft, add ginger, garlic, lemon grass, curry leaves, salt, glutamate, sugar, coconut milk and tamarind juice and let it boil for 5 minutes. Add tomatoes, ladyfingers and fish head and boil until done (15-20min). Sprinkle the dish with coriander leaves before serving with rice.

Hi beppi,

I've found a picture on the internet :

http://foreignfeasts.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/fish-head-curry1.jpg

A bit scary ( with its teeth) ..lol

source: foreignfeasts.com/f-is-for-fish-head-curry/

Where are there seafood eateries that dont bankrupt you in Singapore?

I enjoy simply grilled fish with sambal etc

Nothing fancy

Try any good hawker centre!