Removal companies

Hi everyone !

I am new to this blog and looking for some advice. I am moving to Dubai in a month and I was wondering if you know of any international removal companies. Is it better to use air cargo?

I used to live in Dubai a couple of years ago but then I rented a fully furnished apartment and used Olympic airlines for sending over just personal belongings. Now I am thinking....does it worth sending over some furniture or is it cheap enought to buy it from Dubai and just send my personal stuff by air? Any suggestions? If for example you were to furnish an 1-bed (excluding fridge, oven, washer/dryer), what do you estimate  the cost/budget to be? I am not talking "fancy" furniture :)

Any estimations/suggestions are welcome.

Thanks a lot!
S

I am not aware about furniture shipment, but you can buy furniture within Dubai for cheaper rates. If you prefer to buy from mall, then it would be expensive. For example, an American double queen sized bed would cost you around 2000-3000 AED from IKEA or home centre. But if you buy from Naif area (they mostly have used furniture), then you will easily get within 800-1000 AED. I just recently bought two single bed (excellent condition w/o mattress) each 100 AED for me and my friend. We also bought queen sized bed with matress, spring coiled mattress, dresser and 2 side drawer for 900 AED. I would advise you to buy from Naif market or you can buy from other people who are selling their stuff (google: used furniture for sale in dubai). Also if you prefer to buy from Naif area, I would advise you to go with some Hindi/Urdu speaking friend so you can make a cheap deal.

Thanks for the advice, I have something in mind.. A friend of mine is still in Dubai and she might give me a hand with the translations, but to be honest, I would rather avoid second hand furniture. However, it is a good advice and will bear it in mind!

Thanks a lot,
S

Welcome to Expat.com and the Dubai forum, stella_m :)
Did you have a look in The guide of life in UAE? There are articles on moving to Dubai.
Hope this helps
Arlette

Hey Stella,

[moderated: no free ads on the forum, please register in the business directory]

Hey Stella :)

I guess for 1 bedroom appt you will need around 8k to 10k AED to get good furniture for it, Well these are just estimates of furniture prices, but i mean anyways its cheaper to get your stuff from dubai rather than shipping it from anywhere else.