Expecting a baby!

I am hopeful some of you have had some experience in this and can give some advise.  I am an American married to a Philippine national.  We are expecting a baby in April.  What are the procedures/requirement for our baby to become an American citizen.  The guy at the U. S. Consulate in Cebu said to simply show up there after giving birth with my wife and baby.  It sounded a little brief and simplified.  Thanks for your help.

Go to the US Embassy website for consular services.  there is a pdf that explains it. Not as simple as just showing up, especially if the mother is not a US citizen. At the worst case, may need a DNA test to prove your the father.

Hello Roundhead1952,

Congrats on your future baby.  If you have not already, have your wife apply for PhilHealth and pay the fees.  She can also add you to the policy along with the baby after it is born.  PhilHealth will pay for about 25% of her or her families in hospital needs.  This is better than paying the whole thing yourself.

As for registering as a citizen.  Make sure the hospital registers the birth and get a copy of it.  About a month after the birth you can go to the local NSO Office and request a few certified copies of the child's birth certificate.  While there if you were married in the Philippines also request certified copies of your marriage license also.  They may or may not ask you for them, but the trip to go and get them will cost you more inconvenience than just getting them to be safe.  You will need the copy of the birth certificate when you go as proof of birth.  There are forms that you will have to fill out and possible get notarized before you submit them to them.  The U.S. Embassy will process the child's citizenship and passport requirements.  You will have a child with dual citizenship, Philippine and USA.  Make sure you keep them current until he/she is 18yo when they can do it on their own.  They may also require a DNA test for you and the child to confirm that it is your offspring.  They have a certain place that they will accept results of parentage from so check with them on an approved testing facility.  While at the embassy go to the SSA and file for a SSA number for the child.  This will be helpful in anything you do from then on.  If you receive SSA benefits they will add the chile to your monthly benefit until he/she is 18yo.  The child will continue to receive payments even after you pass away or SSA goes broke.  You can check both their websites for information and the forms to apply for your needs with them.

Hope this helps.  TC, RAC

Wow, great help with your information.  Thank you so much!  I did not think my boys could still swim at age 61.

Congrats on your future baby. About your query:

Before worrying about how to give the baby an American citizenship by getting a CRBA (Consular Report of Birth Abroad), first think about how to go about giving birth in the Philippines. Find good hospitals. Make sure your wife gets prenatal care and regular OB / Gyne visits, and screenings such as ultrasounds for your baby. Figure out how much giving birth costs,  especially hospital rates whether its through natural delivery or C-section.  (I've posted about socialized hospital rates. You might want to check it out.)  Install safety devices / baby-proof your home.

About getting a CRBA, google "US Embassy consular report of birth" and go to the official website of the US Embassy. This will give you all the info you need. Complete the checklist, which  includes your baby's NSO (National Statistics Office) birth certificate, ID's, prenatal records, among many others. 

VERY IMPORTANT: Make sure that everything is correct on the baby's birth certificate, especially the spelling of your name and your wife's name. 

Take pictures of you and your wife together while she's pregnant, because the embassy needs to see the status of your relationship prior to birth. Also, gather up some pictures of when the two of you prior to getting her getting pregnant, such as you with her family, wedding photos, etc.  Keep ultrasounds, the prenatal records or "baby book".

No need for DNA testing unless the US Embassy asks for it. Usually, these are requested by the embassy if the Filipino wife / girlfriend  wants to make a claim that the American guy is the baby's dad, and the guy does not want to apply for the CRBA because he does not think the baby is his. Or if the embassy doubts the paternity of the baby.