How is Canada?

Hi all,
Im Vietnamese and planning to go to Canada for short time. Just travelling and may be business if i can do something. haha
is anyone can give me some advices? such as: which months in year is the best choice to go there? and what should i do before going ? (i want to go at the most warm time of year in Canada) .....
thanks so much

Depending on where in Canada you intend to go, you should arrange to travel between June and early October.

For information about visas try visiting the Citizenship and Immigration Canada official government website. Fill in the online information to see if you qualify for a visa.

www.cic.gc.ca/english

Cheers,
William James Woodward, EB Experts Team

thanks so much

nguyengiang wrote:

Hi all,
Im Vietnamese and planning to go to Canada for short time. Just travelling and may be business if i can do something. haha
is anyone can give me some advices? such as: which months in year is the best choice to go there? and what should i do before going ? (i want to go at the most warm time of year in Canada) .....
thanks so much

I would fly on January / February and go for Ice fishing? Hot time you get in Saigon?

AustriaKarl wrote:

I would fly on January / February and go for Ice fishing?

Figures, this guy also thinks HSBC is great!

Visiting Canada is a bit like visiting Russia; A tremendously large and varied country. My wife prefers Vancouver and Victoria for the Asian markets and shops. If you are looking for a beauty you will not see in Vietnam, you might want to take the train from Vancouver to Banff. If you wish to see lively and large cities, museums, night life, etc., you might split your week between Ottawa and Toronto. Toronto has some lively ethnic neighborhoods to include a Chinatown, Little Italy, and Little Portugal, as well as some very good nightlife. If you are a French speaker, Montreal, a cosmopolitan city with major French and English speaking neighborhoods, and Quebec City, the cultural heart of French Canada, where English is not always appreciated (except from obvious foreign tourists) are both unique. You will find small Vietnamese and even Cambodian enclaves in Vancouver, Toronto, Montreal, and Quebec City.

You can't go wrong in Canada, but be prepared for a strict review of your visa application. For several Vietnamese I know, the most beautiful time of the year is in the early fall, when the tree foliage turns brilliant red, yellow, and orange, and the humid summer air has been replaced by a crisp autumn, with cool mornings and afternoons, and almost summer mid-day heat (as long as the sun is shining).

Jaitch wrote:
AustriaKarl wrote:

Reminds me of the joke about the Newfie who went ice fishing, caught a 50 lb. block of ice and his wife didn't know how to cook it.    :lol:

nguyengiang wrote:

Hi all,
I'm Vietnamese and planning to go to Canada for short time. Just travelling and may be business if i can do something.

Toronto, Vancouver and Edmonton are where the largest groups of Vietnamese will be found.

Canadians get ripped off for cell handset service (a SIM costs around CAD$50) bit you can use WiFi or buy prepaid calling cards for CAD$5-10 which will give you around 90-120 minutes of landline calling.

Transit (city bus and subway systems) sell 1, 3, 7, 14 days passes (unlimited rides) which is a damn sight cheaper than buying a fare for each ride.

Traffic runs the same way as in VN and drivers actually stop on traffic lights and pedestrian crossings. HOWEVER, if YOU cross at the wrong place or time on a road you can get a police ticket.

There are laundromats where you can wash and dry dirty clothes.

As the 'expert' said June through October are great months to visit. The summer season is much like Ha Noi weather.

Your VN driving licence is useless in Canada. Long distance travel is best by Greyhound Bus or Via Rail service.

No need to carry your passport, or valuables, leave them at the front desk of your hotel.

Emergency services can be reached anywhere by dialling 911 on any phone.

Jaitch wrote:

No need to carry your passport, or valuables, leave them at the front desk of your hotel.

While this is true, it is not necessary (and actually not recommended) to carry your passport, you should carry a photocopy of the passport identification page and your current visa entry page just to avoid any problems. Even better if you get the copy certified.

wjwoodward wrote:

you should carry a photocopy of the passport identification page and your current visa entry page just to avoid any problems.

No one in Canada can be required to produce identification unless they have committed a crime, or are driving a car. You forget the Constitution. And 'Oy, you' can be ignored, too.

There are approximately 45,000 people of Vietnamese origin in Toronto, about 1.4% of T.O.'s population. Among Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver, Edmonton, Calgary, and Winnipeg, the city of Toronto has the highest concentration of Vietnamese in Canada. Why any VNese would stay in Edmonton is beyond understanding - given the sub-arctic winter temperatures.

In 2001, Ontario was home to 45% Vietnamese, while another 19% lived in Quebec, 18% in British Columbia and 14% in Alberta.

Canadians are proud to have PHAN Thị Kim Phúc - Humanitarian, UNESCO ambassador, VietNam War Survivor as a fellow citizen.

Read: [ www.statcan.gc.ca/pub/89-621-x/89-621-x2006002-eng.htm ]

Thoi Bao - Toronto newspaper
Thoi Moi - Toronto newspaper

"Canadians are proud to have PHAN Thị Kim Phúc - Humanitarian, UNESCO ambassador, VietNam War Survivor as a fellow citizen."

As well they should be. But does it not also say something about the country she chose not to return to?

Jaitch wrote:
AustriaKarl wrote:

I figures this Diamond and Watter Cutter think he is great and Doctor know-all? You can check all topics - he fill the space with his "wisdom"?

lirelou wrote:

"Canadians are proud to have PHAN Thị Kim Phúc - Humanitarian, UNESCO ambassador, VietNam War Survivor as a fellow citizen."
As well they should be. But does it not also say something about the country she chose not to return to?

No, her medical needs are still extreme and are met at low cost in Ontario (free medical). She is apolitical, if you have heard her speak. At the time in VN's post-war evolution she was being exploited for the wrong reasons.

Personally, I think much of that is in the past, especially since former General NGUYEN Văn Thiệu has visited VietNam in the recent past.

The Vietnamese must be amongst the most forgiving people around, as I've said before, as they welcome both French and American people whereas the Second World War is still being 'fought', through discrimination, in some parts of Europe.

Thanks all of you. im really excited to go there. i have to go to singapore for 2 weeks then be back Vietnam. After that i will get ready to go to Canada but i must be careful because im having a small child, just almost 1 year and he is with me anywhere. Last time i came to India with my child and i got some troubles so i dont want this happen anymore even i do speak Hindi and french as well.

AustriaKarl wrote:
nguyengiang wrote:

Hi all,
thanks so much

I would fly on January / February and go for Ice fishing? Hot time you get in Saigon?

Saigon? i just backed from Saigon short time ago so i wont be there until January

Jaitch wrote:
nguyengiang wrote:

Hi all,
I'm Vietnamese and planning to go to Canada for short time. Just travelling and may be business if i can do something.

Toronto, Vancouver and Edmonton are where the largest groups of Vietnamese will be found.

Canadians get ripped off for cell handset service (a SIM costs around CAD$50) bit you can use WiFi or buy prepaid calling cards for CAD$5-10 which will give you around 90-120 minutes of landline calling.

Transit (city bus and subway systems) sell 1, 3, 7, 14 days passes (unlimited rides) which is a damn sight cheaper than buying a fare for each ride.

Traffic runs the same way as in VN and drivers actually stop on traffic lights and pedestrian crossings. HOWEVER, if YOU cross at the wrong place or time on a road you can get a police ticket.

There are laundromats where you can wash and dry dirty clothes.

As the 'expert' said June through October are great months to visit. The summer season is much like Ha Noi weather.

Your VN driving licence is useless in Canada. Long distance travel is best by Greyhound Bus or Via Rail service.

Emergency services can be reached anywhere by dialling 911 on any phone.

thanks so much for these informations. It sound like safe place? (i mean i no need to cary my passport) when i came to Thailand i had to cary my passport with me all the time (may be because thai people dont like Vietnamese?)

nguyengiang wrote:

i must be careful because im having a small child, just almost 1 year and he is with me anywhere..

The predominant language in Canada is English except in Quebec.

As you have a young child, consider taking either EVA (the best) or CATHAY to Toronto (or Vancouver) - they stop en route to Canada so you and junior can get exercise and a break. And you avoid the USA! (and TSA) As you know, the US Government thinks everyone wants to live there.

BTW, have your Travel Agent (better to book direct with Cathay or Eva) explain OPEN JAW to you. It might save you a few Dollars/Dong.

For Vietnamese not used to the cold weather, I suggest go in June-August. Canada is a huge country with a surprisingly active Vietnamese community in every city. Toronto and Vancouver having the largest Vietnamese population. Canada not a cheap country, taxes 13% on everything you buy except in the Province of Alberta 7%. Cigarette is expensive $14 a pack .. beer too. Vietnamese restaurants are plentiful, and I dare to say the cuisine are better than in Vietnam.  Speak French only in Quebec, it's like another country within a country. Most beautiful province British Columbia, most ugly province Manitoba. Most clean and friendliest city, Calgary. Most ugly Winnipeg, which have the only dedicated u-turn traffic signal light I've seen. Canada is relatively safe ... enjoy!

lirelou wrote:

Exactly. As well it should, when the entire quote is considered carefully.  And as for UNESCO...well thats for another time and place.

NashCat wrote:

For Vietnamese not used to the cold weather, I suggest go in June-August. Canada is a huge country with a surprisingly active Vietnamese community in every city. Toronto and Vancouver having the largest Vietnamese population. Canada not a cheap country, taxes 13% on everything you buy except in the Province of Alberta 7%. Cigarette is expensive $14 a pack .. beer too. Vietnamese restaurants are plentiful, and I dare to say the cuisine are better than in Vietnam.  Speak French only in Quebec, it's like another country within a country. Most beautiful province British Columbia, most ugly province Manitoba. Most clean and friendliest city, Calgary. Most ugly Winnipeg, which have the only dedicated u-turn traffic signal light I've seen. Canada is relatively safe ... enjoy!

thanks so much for your informations. I cant stand the cold weather well, this is very useful for me
best wishes

Jaitch wrote:

No one in Canada can be required to produce identification unless they have committed a crime, or are driving a car.

You're quite correct, but I didn't say that anyone was required to produce identification, I simply recommended it. But, what happens if a passport gets stolen while abroad? Have you any idea how having a certified copy of it facilitates getting a new one or emergency passport?

Making a certified copy of one's travel documents such as passport and visa is something that is recommended for anyone who travels outside their own country, especially if they drive an automobile in which case they are required to produce identification if stopped. In the case of someone presenting a foreign Driver's License, they are certainly going to also be required to produce their travel documents as well. Geez, I'm a permanent resident here in Brazil, but I wouldn't even think of walking out the door without a copy of my passport.

This has nothing to do with the Canadian Constitution or Charter of Rights and Freedoms, don't know where that comes from? And no, I'm not forgetting those extremely important documents of which I'm so proud.

Here's the whole quote rather than just the abreviated version taken out of context, perhaps you should re-read it and you'll see the I clearly stated that you were correct, but made the suggestion. I think you'll maybe have a slightly different understanding.

wjwoodward wrote:
Jaitch wrote:

While this is true, it is not necessary (and actually not recommended) to carry your passport, you should carry a photocopy of the passport identification page and your current visa entry page just to avoid any problems. Even better if you get the copy certified.