New Fora (forums) - who decides which destinations get one?

Hai Phong, the worst coal-powered generating centre in VietNam has just got it's own standalone forum.

I always wonder who dreams up candidate destinations for dedicated fora.

You know the ones ... Lao Cai. Thai Nguyen or Vinh! Real magnets for Foreigners. NOT! There are usually more posts by web site staff than Users

The lack of knowledge about VietNam is glaringly obvious, check out those fora, almost unused.

Lao Cai is a train stop, far better to change it's name to Sa Pa - the reason that people spend 30 minutes in Lao Cai, or simply pass through.

Thai Nguyen is another case in point, who has actually been there? (I have) Have they seen other Foreigners there? (I didn't)

As for Vinh most Foreigners there are either passing through or involved in activities related to the nearby jungles. Really, it is the armpit of the north with all manner of heavy industry blackening the skies.

Phanh Thiet should be renamed Phan Thiet-Mui Ne to reflect the PT suburb that most Foreigners have an interest in.

Buon Ma Thuot should be renamed Central Highlands since tourists to BMT, where my home is, are a rarity and engender stares from locals.

Destinations are discrete fora (forums)(I took Latin at school) whereas Categories are filters on the main VN forum. IMO, Visas and a couple of other titles (selected by their popularity/use) deserve their own standalone fora. Not categories. In other words give them their own sandbox.

Visas are a unique challenge in VN. I have all the regulations, in English, sitting on my server. I also know certain cities have the authority to vary these regulations. Furthermore, crossing the palm of an Immigration Officer, through your Agent, with Dong100,000-500,000 will land you a whole new 'interpretation' - which is why Ha Noi has placed temporary inspectors in most Immigration Offices and many Consulates to ensure conformance with the regulations.

This facility of 'buying' new interpretations makes many posts irrelevant to new situations. If I were to quote Chapter and Verse from the translated regulations it would serve no purpose because the situation is so fluid.

Hai Phong, it seems, is the third biggest city in Vietnam, and a major industrial area.
I would suspect, but do not know for sure, the forum admin chose it because of that status.

As for the Latin, a long dead language, who cares? It's not as if some Roman schoolteacher is going rise from the grave to rebuke forum users, making them write out the correct forms a hundred times before they're allowed to leave school.

Good morning,

:lol: I am dreaming of living in Sapa.

Regards

Dejavu.dot wrote:

Good morning,

:lol: I am dreaming of living in Sapa.

Regards

I understand the internet is really slow there, something to do with the mountains.
The petroglyphs are amazing but it can drop below freezing, so pack a big jumper.

Hi mas fred,

Yes I like mountains and jungles. I guess you prefer beaches.

Hai Phong.. I was told that there are many mafia here. Wonder if it is right.

By the way, how can you have such a nice animation avatar? I love seeing the sheep jumping up and down.

Regards

Dejavu.dot wrote:

Hi mas fred,

No way, dude.
I'm from Yorkshire and love the mountains.
The hills are one of the very few things I miss about my home country.
Should I ever get the chance to visit that area, I'll be there like a shot.

mas fred wrote:

No way, dude..

Dudette.

Oops Dan! I am a robot!

I just searched about your homeland. Hug green place with nice dog and many hills. If I were there, I would run around those hill everyday!

Dejavu.dot wrote:

Oops Dan! I am a robot!

You're one of these guys???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXa9tXcMhXQ

mas fred wrote:

Hai Phong, it seems, is the third biggest city in Vietnam, and a major industrial area.
As for the Latin, a long dead language, who cares?

I wasn't suggesting Hai Phong doesn't warrant a forum, it does, as there are quite a few Foreigners living there. Definitely Number 1 in coal (dust).

However, it drew my attention to some of the others that don't warrant the status.

As for Latin, many people use it daily and I made the point as fora and not forums is the plural form.

Yorkshire? Flattened a lot of paving in Catterick Camp back in the day - and avoided digging the peat moors putting out fires.

Jaitch wrote:

As for Latin, many people use it daily and I made the point as fora and not forums is the plural form.

The Oxford British and World English Dictionary prefers forums as the plural and defines "fora" as pertaining to a public square or marketplace used for judicial and other business in an ancient Roman city.

Dejavu.dot wrote:

Hi mas fred,

Hai Phong.. I was told that there are many mafia here. Wonder if it is right.

By the way, how can you have such a nice animation avatar? I love seeing the sheep jumping up and down.

Regards

For animated avatars, there are may sites like this: http://www.forumsextreme.com/Avatars_Funny.html

Google is your friend!

eodmatt wrote:

Google is your friend!

Friends don't keep track of what you search for, and what websites you visit, and sell the information to corporations.

DuckDuckGo is your friend.

DanFromSF wrote:
eodmatt wrote:

Google is your friend!

Maybe when this friend becomes popular, it will the same ;)!

DanFromSF wrote:
eodmatt wrote:

Google is your friend!

Friends don't keep track of what you search for, and what websites you visit, and sell the information to corporations.

They are welcome to know which websites I go to for avatars and if they can sell that information then good luck to them.

ngattt wrote:

Maybe when this friend becomes popular, it will the same ;)!

It's already popular. Most people I work and associate with use it, other than the Fandroids, of course.  ;)

eodmatt wrote:

They are welcome to know which websites I go to for avatars and if they can sell that information then good luck to them.

Thanks Google because I found you on another website ;)

eodmatt wrote:

They know far more than that about you, but if it doesn't bother you that an American corporation, subject to the NSA, keeps a dossier on you and your online activity, well, I don't know what to say.

In any case, Google isn't your friend.

ngattt wrote:

Thanks Google because I found you on another website ;)

Yes, you officially crossed the stalker line. :P

DanFromSF wrote:

Yes, you officially crossed the stalker line. :P

Hmmm, I always want to know more about people who are my friends  :cool:!

ngattt wrote:

Hmmm, I always want to know more about people who are my friends  :cool:!

I think President Obama used that excuse when the NSA was caught listening to the German Chancellor's phone calls. ;)

DanFromSF wrote:

I think President Obama used that excuse when the NSA was caught listening to the German Chancellor's phone calls. ;)

So if many Vietnamese girls knew about you, and contacted you in somewhere, you would think I sold your information for them :D? Hmmmm hmmmmm  :dumbom::dumbom::dumbom:!

ngattt wrote:

So if many Vietnamese girls knew about you, and contacted you in somewhere, you would think I sold your information for them :D? Hmmmm hmmmmm  :dumbom::dumbom::dumbom:!

Well, I guess that explains all the Vietnamese visitors on my LinkedIn profile. :P

DanFromSF wrote:
mas fred wrote:

No way, dude..

Dudette.

I was using Dude in the same way you would use man to refer to humans, a non gender specific pronoun.

At least that's my excuse.

I would consider homo sapiens, but, as an unwise man, I have no clue about Latin words.

Looking for an animation is very easy but applying it as an avatar like mas fred is another thing. The basket ball doesnt drop!!!

@ mas fred: dudette=> I think it;s French.. not latino

Dejavu.dot wrote:

Looking for an animation is very easy but applying it as an avatar like mas fred is another thing. The basket ball doesnt drop!!!

@ mas fred: dudette=> I think it;s French.. not latino

What a great new euphemism.
A bit thick, his basketball really doesn't drop.

Nope, German, but the meaning has morphed a bit.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/lexicon_vall … dandy.html

Sadly, I don't really understand "morph", because it came from Greek, but via Latin.
Hell's bells, what does "Via" mean?

Really, my basketball is totally failing to drop today, I knew I should have listened to my Latin master, but he was a boring old stultus.
That's an .. -.. .. --- -, if you were in the Royal signals.

DanFromSF wrote:
eodmatt wrote:

They know far more than that about you, but if it doesn't bother you that an American corporation, subject to the NSA, keeps a dossier on you and your online activity, well, I don't know what to say.

In any case, Google isn't your friend.

Dan, you don't know me or anything about me.

Because of my work I would be astonished if the NSA didn't have a file on me. If we ever meet I'll tell you why, but in the meantime I can tell you that I have worked at high level in the past with the UN security council and the European commission, in places like Iraq, Iran, Cambodia, Thailand, Kuwait, Oman, Angola, Bosnia, Mozambique, to name but a few. It's no secret, its on my CV and on my Linked-in page.

As for the NSA knowing which site I go to for animated avatars...... I couldn't give a flying f*rt at a rolling donut.

And if you think that simply not using Google will protect you from NSA snooping, think again. To achieve anonymity you will need to give up any pensions you have, any bank accounts, social security, your Vietnamese visa, your passport and other ID and go and live in a Faraday cage underground.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not out to get ya  :o

Hai!
Can anyone tell me about Visa renewal and is it safe to drink the water?
And help my foreigner friend with his girlfriend troubles who also wants a job tomorrow easily without going outside?
And finally,anyone know a good dating site for people who are looking to start a business in this country?

I couldn't give a flying f*rt at a rolling donut.

This thread is great for exciting new phrases.
I'm bookmarking it.

jimbream wrote:

Hai!
And help my foreigner friend with his girlfriend troubles who also wants a job tomorrow easily without going outside?
And finally,anyone know a good dating site for people who are looking to start a business in this country?

Visa renewal costs a flying something, as long as you have donut targets to aim for.
The foreigner should find a man, and go gay. That way, the troublesome girlfriend will go away.
I'm unsure if it's the wimp man or his girlfriend that requires work.

By " dating site" and work, do I gather he's interested in selling his body.
If so, this LINK may help.

mas fred wrote:

I'm bookmarking it.

Ah the rich tapestry of expression that is the English language (rich tapestries of expression are available in other languages).

mas fred wrote:
jimbream wrote:

Hai!

Visa renewal costs a flying something, as long as you have donut targets to aim for.
The foreigner should find a man, and go gay. That way, the troublesome girlfriend will go away.

Yeah and don't drink the tap water!

eodmatt wrote:
mas fred wrote:
jimbream wrote:

Hai!

Yeah and don't drink the tap water!

Rats, I forgot the water.

eodmatt wrote:
mas fred wrote:

I'm bookmarking it.

Ah the rich tapestry of expression that is the English language (rich tapestries of expression are available in other languages).

Yer, but I'm propper good at english.

mas fred wrote:

A bit thick, his basketball really doesn't drop.

her

;)

eodmatt wrote:

As for the NSA knowing which site I go to for animated avatars...... I couldn't give a flying f*rt at a rolling donut.

Okay, you know it's more than the animated gif website, right?    Check your cookies.  Unless you've blocked it, Google Analytics is in there and sites that support it (such as this one) report every page you load in your browser back to Google.

You don't care about that either?  The privacy implications of that don't bother you?

And if you think that simply not using Google will protect you from NSA snooping, think again.

What makes you think I suggested that?  I simply said a company that tracks what you search for AND THE WEBSITES YOU VISIT, catalogs the information on their servers to make money off what you do, IS NOT YOUR FRIEND.   The fact that your search and browsing history that Google stores on their servers, that's tied to you specifically, not just some random token, is then subject to a nearly unaccountable, opaque agency like the NSA raises the level of creepiness even higher.

I'm not sure why anybody would subjects themselves to that when they can simply use a search engine that doesn't track you, https://www.duckduckgo.com.

:lol:

Talking about Nasa or Vietnamese government keeping our private information, I have a great idea. We will buy a satellite and we won't feel upset about the internet connection and no one will keep our information. Just 2m$!!!!

Today I was so talkative so I decide to be talkative again to finish the day: There is a Viet girl. She usually published many secret stories about celebrities and high position governors. Viet spies captured her and they couldn't apply any rules on her. They punished her by capture her in a 2m2 dark room for 2 days. Now she becomes lunatic!!

So dont worry about Nasa.. but Viet Central Intelligence Agency

Dejavu.dot wrote:

:lol:

Talking about Nasa or Vietnamese government keeping our private information, I have a great idea. We will buy a satellite and we won't feel upset about the internet connection and no one will keep our information. Just 2m$!!!!

Today I was so talkative so I decide to be talkative again to finish the day: There is a Viet girl. She usually published many secret stories about celebrities and high position governors. Viet spies captured her and they couldn't apply any rules on her. They punished her by capture her in a 2m2 dark room for 2 days. Now she becomes lunatic!!

'Nasa'
You're a classic.

Dejavu.dot wrote:

:

NSA, dear == National Security Agency.  They're the super-secret US spy agency that monitors all electronic communication around the world.

NASA is National Aeronautics and Space Administration.  All they do is waste a lot of money employing people who can't get jobs in the private sector, play with rockets, and crash $125 million space probes into the surface of Mars because they forgot to convert to metric.  (Ooopsies! ;) )

Dan, you should write a book! Your insights into the various agencies would be fascinating. I'm serious!

Now, as for these destinations..... has anyone any knowledge of contrails in the air over those places? I rarely see any over Saigon.