Time for our traditional annual bank stike!!!

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRDzJ_qTZdve0n4cswhnlfa2eevSZFhyvqbm3T1PsswhNpLZJl_pAWell it's that time of year again folks! Banks will be going on strike as of next Tuesday in the Distrito Federal and 19 states: São Paulo, Rio de Janeiro, Minas Gerais, Paraná, Rio Grande do Sul, Santa Catarina, Mato Grosso do Sul, Alagoas, Mato Grosso, Piauí, Ceará, Pará, Roraima, Acre, Sergipe, Espírito Santo, Rio Grande do Norte, Paraíba and Bahia.

Hahaha....

wjwoodward wrote:

[img align=l]https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRDzJ_qTZdve0n4cswhnlfa2eevSZFhyvqbm3T1PsswhNpLZJl_pA[/url]Well it's that time of year again folks! Banks will be going on strike as of next Tuesday in the Distrito Federal and 19 states: São Paulo, Rio de Janeiro, Minas Gerais, Paraná, Rio Grande do Sul, Santa Catarina, Mato Grosso do Sul, Alagoas, Mato Grosso, Piauí, Ceará, Pará, Roraima, Acre, Sergipe, Espírito Santo, Rio Grande do Norte, Paraíba and Bahia.

Next will be the Post Offices, followed by the Airlines and then REPEAT.

You forgot the buses!!! Other than that you are right on.

Already you can add one more state to the ever growing list; Mato Grosso do Sul has also joined the strike.

When is this country's government going to realize that completely paralyzing the economy of the whole nation and disrupting the financial transactions of everyone in the country can no longer be tolerated.

It's high time that the politicians get off their collective behinds and impose strict limits on the right to strike of ALL unions whose members serve the general public. I'm a firm believer in collective bargaining, but holding an entire population up for ransom is not the way to go.

Maybe banks should just scrap all services that can't be done online or at an ATM, get rid of all of these employees that spend more time complaining about their pay scale than they do working and be done with it! Who knows, maybe they might even be able to pass some of the savings this would generate along to their customers? Gosh, forgot it's Brazil for a moment, banks would never pass savings along to customers here.

If I recall, it was actually a much better experience without the banks fully operational. And in the end, I enjoyed while they were on strike. When normal operations resumed I ended up resuming my high blood pressure.

Yep, I think we'd be much better off without them too. Sure would save a lot of time on top of everything else.

Well, if you thought you escaped the strike because you're in one of the 6 states that didn't initially join in the strike, think again. The strike now has expanded to all 26 states and the Distrito Federal.

Time for the government to wake up and do away with these jobs anyway....... VIRTUAL BANKS don't go on strike and they function 24/7. PATCOIZE the whole damn lot of them!!!

That's actually not true. Virtual banks in Brazil only function until 17.00. Not joking Caixa informed me a few months back that I can not put in a transaction (or even schedule one) online since it is after 17.00 and they are closed for today....

Apparently in Brazil even Computers are corrupt and complicated ;-)

I think you misunderstood what they were telling you. You can do transactions 24/7 either online or through ATMs. What they were likely telling you is that any transactions made outside of regular banking hours are posted to the account until the next business day; that's because they must be verified manually.

If you deposit cash into an ATM for example, if you were to do it in the morning then it likely would actually be posted to the account and the funds liberated that same day. However, if you were to deposit in the afternoon, they wouldn't be released until the next business day.

Online transactions are done in real time, so if you pay a bill online it gets debited to your account right away. This does not apply to electronic transfers (DOC or TED) those are done as a batch at 00:00 h daily so a transfer made online to some other bank today would only show up on the other account tomorrow.

Given that you can actually do many more kinds of financial transactions online in Brazil than you can in most other countries, I think we could get along quite well if they simply sacked all their tellers and branch staff, closed their doors and just have us all use their online services and ATMs all the time. Going to the bank and standing for hours in a line up to deal with a teller is just too much of a pain in the butt anyway. I'd be just as happy if they got rid of all of them, they're bloody lazy and all they do is complain about everything.

I might have but then I tried scheduling it for the next business day which it still didn't let me do so.....

Anyways I couldn't agree more. I have lived in a lot of places incl Africa and Brazilian banks are by far the most ridiculous ones I have ever seen. Just completely disorganized, full or regulations they can use to not do their work etc etc.

I am actually surprised how well people take it. I think if you had a banking system like this in the US there would be riots (not that the US system isn't screwed up too in other ways) ;-)

It was funny last time I was in Europe I took my Brazilian wife to a bank just to show here how it is supposed to be organized. She was baffled...

She probably thought you had it all staged just for her benefit. She's Brazilian, and she KNOWS that banks couldn't possibly be like that. Not really!  :lol:

Don't expect the government here to do anything about it. In the US if bank employee's went on strike, they don't in the US because there the banks are private companies and the workers that would go on strike would find themselves looking for new jobs the hour after they walked out. When the air traffic controllers went on strike in the US president Reagan fired every one of them. Because the strike endangered the economic well being of the country, he ordered them back to work or else and he made good on the or else.  The country survived and in the process they found out that the job could be done with less workers with increased computer utilization and GPS tied into the system.  The bank workers in Brazil are overpaid they earn an average of double what the average Brazilian earns and they want more. Its time for the politicians in Brazil to grow a set and fire the striking employees

divaunhasdegel wrote:

I might have but then I tried scheduling it for the next business day which it still didn't let me do so.....

Anyways I couldn't agree more. I have lived in a lot of places incl Africa and Brazilian banks are by far the most ridiculous ones I have ever seen. Just completely disorganized, full or regulations they can use to not do their work etc etc.

I am actually surprised how well people take it. I think if you had a banking system like this in the US there would be riots (not that the US system isn't screwed up too in other ways) ;-)

It was funny last time I was in Europe I took my Brazilian wife to a bank just to show here how it is supposed to be organized. She was baffled...

In the US it is in and out in less than 10 minutes...In Brazil you are lucky not to wait more than an hour to get to the teller.  The banks here are Fukked up and they wonder why the economy is having problems in Brazil its because they don't know any better they must think its supposed to take more than an hour to be servd by a teller

What really sucks is having to pay R$19 per month for an account because the company I work for says I have to have one and to get really crappy service in exchange for it. And I had no choice what bank I had to use the one the company had an account with so Brazilians must be used to paying for crappy service and not complaining about it. In the US most checking accounts are FREE no monthly fee

If Brazilians were smart, they'd do like the French do and shut down the entire country until they get a decent living wage. Way, way too much abuse of workers in this country.

For sure in both countries there is very disproportioned part of the people working for the gouvernement, state agencies or companies where workers "rights" are so much protected that they can block everything. However in France a lot of people are really priviliged and just want to keep their privileges. If this is continuing this way, France will become a only a tourist place with nice landscape, good food, old building and grumpy people. People will visit France like we visit a rusty museum where nothing changed in 100 years.  In Brazil, some people just wants a share of the wealth which is building up for 20 years and I think that´s quite fair.
By the way, I am french.