University Degree/Work Permit

Hi there, am sure this question has been asked in the past. Am a teacher wanting wanting to teach in Vietnam. I saw a posting on another site suggesting that work permits for teachers won't be issued unless it's a degree in education.

Is this correct?

I was under the impression it could be a degree in anything provided it's from a credible institution. I have a BA in Social Sciences from a New Zealand university with an apositlle for verification.

Thanks in advance.

Hi dear,

You saw that post because there are many expats come to VN and start being teachers without qualifications and experiences so they are recruited in many small English centers as a part time job and in this case, non of those centers will give them work permit.

Regards

http://www.immivietnamvisa.com/general- … n-vietnam/

DOLISA is the issuing authority, not your employer. Employer can only apply on behalf of you.

kiwiinkorea wrote:

Hi there, am sure this question has been asked in the past. Am a teacher wanting wanting to teach in Vietnam. I saw a posting on another site suggesting that work permits for teachers won't be issued unless it's a degree in education.

Is this correct?

I was under the impression it could be a degree in anything provided it's from a credible institution. I have a BA in Social Sciences from a New Zealand university with an apositlle for verification.

Thanks in advance.

Now, to apply for Work Permit for foreign teacher, you just need o adapt one of two conditions:
1- university diploma
2- 5 years experience certificate with the same position abroad
one or two.
Beside that, you also have to have "sponsor" in Vietnam. Your sponsor will gurantee for you, but you just work for only your sponsor, not others.

A friend with a BSc in mathematics got a position with a VN uni to teach computer theory.

He said the fact he had a degree got him in the door more than experience.

VN recognises degrees or 5 years of related experience. But no degree (in anything) guarantees no uni position.

There are hundreds of people calling themselves 'teachers' and yet have no degree. A teacher has a degree whereas others are properly called instructors. There is even an unemployed truck driver who did a English training course and now he calls himself 'teacher'.

Employers are far better positioned to get you a Work Permit and universities even better at getting them.  They also have a magic wand called 'invited guest' or something similar and this beats the lot.

Come over, you will get some position - they much prefer to see the body in person rather via the InterNet.

extend your mind to understand others' thoughts

Hi OP

If you will come to Ho Chi Minh City to teach English, the labour authority of Ho Chi Minh City accept a University Decree in any major AND an English teaching certificate (such as CELTA /DELTA /TEFL /TESOL certificate) to issue a Work Permit to you to work as an English teacher.

I don't know the practice in other provinces of Vietnam.

Dejavu.dot wrote:

Hi dear,

You saw that post because there are many expats come to VN and start being teachers without qualifications and experiences so they are recruited in many small English centers as a part time job and in this case, non of those centers will give them work permit.

Regards

The employee is facing a fine,arrest and deportation with subsequent blacklisting? Just wondering.

Would there be any labour protection for those whose contract was submitted to the Police?

hs0zfe wrote:

The employee is facing a fine,arrest and deportation with subsequent blacklisting? Just wondering.

Would there be any labour protection for those whose contract was submitted to the Police?

Hi,

I prefer considering it as "corporating contract" more than "labor contract". An expat without any certification doesnt have anything to deal with employers. The law doesnt have any rules about what employers have to do to expat employees but what expat employees must have to get work permit. There are over 90 000 expats in VN but most of them use business visa.

For years, I have realized that not many employers are well-educated to obey/care about welfare of emploees in small companies or English centers. Personally an expat without degree should do freelance and pay for healthcare themselves.

Blacklisting? Money and benefit explain many issues in Vietnam.

Regards.

hmm I have no degree guess I will never get a job in Vietnam. The IT companies I worked for all got outsourced and bankrupted.

khanh44 wrote:

hmm I have no degree guess I will never get a job in Vietnam. The IT companies I worked for all got outsourced and bankrupted.

Maybe she meant a English teaching job. IT job is not easy to get if you have no degree. Maybe you can become a fresh Tester, if you are a very careful person :D.
BTW, if you feel bored when you stay here, you can get a English teaching job. I see some English center wants to hire a Viet Kieu! I've just read some ads in vietnam.craigslist.org

Dejavu.dot wrote:

The law doesnt have any rules about what employers have to do to expat employees but what expat employees must have to get work permit.

Many laws are applied equally to citizens and Foreigners, including the Labour Act.

There are over 90 000 expats in VN but most of them use business visa.

That's because they work for companies rather than teaching.

Personally an expat without degree should do freelance and pay for healthcare themselves.

Does VN have a process for 'freelance' other than forming a JV company?

ngattt wrote:
khanh44 wrote:

Maybe she meant a English teaching job. IT job is not easy to get if you have no degree. Maybe you can become a fresh Tester, if you are a very careful person :D.
BTW, if you feel bored when you stay here, you can get a English teaching job. I see some English center wants to hire a Viet Kieu! I've just read some ads in vietnam.craigslist.org

I worked in IT for 10 years. Don't think I want to start at bottom again.  I think business and real estate investment is what I'll do in Vietnam. How that would translate into a long term visa I don't know yet.

khanh44 wrote:

I worked in IT for 10 years. Don't think I want to start at bottom again.  I think business and real estate investment is what I'll do in Vietnam. How that would translate into a long term visa I don't know yet.

Ah, in my post, I said "you", but not mean you :D.

Because I think you are not young to be suitable for starting IT job here, so English teaching is quite good, especially teach kids. However, if you feel bored when you have to stay home everyday to wait your wife :D.

About real estate investment: I bought a land some months ago in Binh Dương, 100m2, and now, my neighbor said, price of land near my house is increasing. I wish I had much money to buy lands and sell then :D.

Land and house prices will go up as inflation and thus borrowing interest rate loans go down. Also Vietnam population average age is 23. Perfect age to start a family and own a house. Viet Kieu's are also getting old and want to retire in Vietnam for many reasons.

I'd buy land and build rental housing since there's a great need for it.

khanh44 wrote:

Land and house prices will go up as inflation and thus borrowing interest rate loans go down. Also Vietnam population average age is 23. Perfect age to start a family and own a house. Viet Kieu's are also getting old and want to retire in Vietnam for many reasons.

I'd buy land and build rental housing since there's a great need for it.

Not so fast. Look, before you leap.
More than a decade ago, I lost my job at a European bank after 9/11 when the bank went bust. Next, I started over in real estate in the USA. Ownership was no issue and I got a loan as well. A decade later, I have lots of grey hair and war stories to tell. "Health inspections" for your multi? Yeah, @ $ 2xx p.a. for some silly 5 minute drive by inspection. If a tenant left a trash bin outside his door, I might get cited. The small town once wanted $ 100 a day because a tenant failed to clean up dog poo in his fenced yard.

How do you handle the ownership & financing over here? What's the projected ROI? What about taxes?

VN is great as a retirement destination. But can you make money over here as a landlord?

Got a SFH. Spent $ 50,000 and get ~ $ 8,600 net p.a. after PM fees and before property taxes  @ $ 1,075 ATM. Last year,  a new 4 ton aircon cost $ 3,500. Windows are old and will have to replaced some time soon. There's always  s o m e t h i n g. But TBH, I doubt this would be worth your while financially, given all te risk and uncertainty.

What is an SFH.

colinoscapee wrote:

What is an SFH.

single family home. Not duplex or multi unit homes.

colinoscapee wrote:

What is an SFH.

A single family house.

Thanks for your argument. Much appreciated as I like to see the pros and cons.

Some background on me. I own 2 SFH rental properties in Canada and have bought 4 houses in last 5 years. My wife owns a house in Vietnam which is currently rented out.

I see better opportunities in being a landlord in Vietnam than Canada because maintenance cost is lower in Vietnam. If I were to rent out properties I think multi-unit dwellings would be more profitable especially where I live next to the Binh Duong Industrial complex.

I would be an idiot not to acknowledge the red tapes in Vietnam and the unstable banking structure in Vietnam. That being said financing through a loan is not a problem since everything will be in cash.

Just to poke some holes in your last paragraph statement. Windows need replacing in Vietnam? Air con costing $3500 in Vietnam? Property taxes? Last year I replaced my furnace and air con for $5000 in Canada. In Vietnam what major maintenance issue will crop up? Roofing is always an issue in Canada. Water leaks and mould issues is an issue in Canada. In Vietnam those problems are close to non-existant or low cost to repair.

I'm in the exploratory stage at the moment and my biggest hurdle is the beauracratic red tapes. I'd like to hear some more cons of being a landlord.

hs0zfe wrote:

Not so fast. Look, before you leap.
More than a decade ago, I lost my job at a European bank after 9/11 when the bank went bust. Next, I started over in real estate in the USA. Ownership was no issue and I got a loan as well. A decade later, I have lots of grey hair and war stories to tell. "Health inspections" for your multi? Yeah, @ $ 2xx p.a. for some silly 5 minute drive by inspection. If a tenant left a trash bin outside his door, I might get cited. The small town once wanted $ 100 a day because a tenant failed to clean up dog poo in his fenced yard.

How do you handle the ownership & financing over here? What's the projected ROI? What about taxes?

VN is great as a retirement destination. But can you make money over here as a landlord?

Got a SFH. Spent $ 50,000 and get ~ $ 8,600 net p.a. after PM fees and before property taxes  @ $ 1,075 ATM. Last year,  a new 4 ton aircon cost $ 3,500. Windows are old and will have to replaced some time soon. There's always  s o m e t h i n g. But TBH, I doubt this would be worth your while financially, given all te risk and uncertainty.

hs0zfe wrote:
colinoscapee wrote:

What is an SFH.

A single family house.

Much easier to understand when written in full.

You get a better return on your money in a term deposit,the only advantage to owning property is when it increases in value.
I'm sure another thread can be started for this as the mods will delete it, as its off subject.

Not sure where or when the other poster bought for 50,000usd, but a place at that price now would give a return of about 1800usd a year.

colinoscapee wrote:
hs0zfe wrote:
colinoscapee wrote:

What is an SFH.

A single family house.

Much easier to understand when written in full.

Totally agree. But when someone writes acronyms you know they have great insights into those fields.

Not really, it all comes down to what country you are from and the different uses of it. I thought it meant a single floor house as single family home means only one family lives there, it doesn't actually talk about the structure.

lol sorry I have a bad tenancy to derail topics.  :dumbom:

Back on topic. University degrees. I guess my 1-year IT diploma and 10 years experience in IT doesn't qualify for a work permit? There was some jobs in IT I was thinking of applying but wasn't sure if I'd be able to secure a work permit for it.

Same for me 25 years in the building industry,15 years owning my own business but can't get a job in the construction industry here as I don't have a degree in engineering or architecture. That's fine with me,it's the laws of Viet Nam, I may go and do the local project managers course which may be of some help in the future.

Jaitch wrote:

Many laws are applied equally to citizens and Foreigners, including the Labour Act.

Yes. Thanks. I just know that.

Jaitch wrote:

I think a half of them are Russian who are living in Phan Thiet, Nha Trang, Vung Tau

Dejavu.dot wrote:
Jaitch wrote:

Yes. Thanks. I just know that.

Jaitch wrote:

I think a half of them are Russian who are living in Phan Thiet, Nha Trang, Vung Tau, Phu Quoc