How is RM9000 per month in KL

Hi friends. I need your help.
I am getting RM8800 per month basic + RM 200 per month for travel and phone. Please let me know how is this offer.

I'll be moving along with my wife and 1 yr old daughter.

I am earning INR 15 lacs per annum. I am living in delhi in my parent's house and drive my own car. My wife is working as teacher and earning 4lacs per annum.

My office will be in Horizon Bangsar South, Jalan Kerinchi. What could be good places to live in rental house.

Please let me know expected expenses in below category:
Rental (not shared):
Food:
Phone + internet:
Travel:
Income tax:
Others

Rental
Check out prices here - RM2500 upwards

Food:
RM1k per month

Phone + internet:
RM 250 per month

Travel:
Depends on where you are going - you will use all your transport/phone allowance so add extra RM200

Income tax:
No income tax is paid on the first RM9000 per annum once a person is tax resident.
Tax steps on annual salary are:
                                2014                                                   2015
0-5,000                    0%                                                       0%
5,001-10,000           2% (RM100)             5,000-10,000      1%
10,001-20,000         2% (RM100)             10,001-20,000    1%
20,001-35,000         6% (RM300)             20,001-35,000    5%
35,001-50,000       11% (RM1,200)          35,001-50,000   10%
50,001-70,000       19% (RM2,850)          50,001-70,000   16%
70,001-100,000     24% (RM6,650)         70,001-100,000   21%
Exceeding 100k     26%                          100,001-250,000  24%
                                                               250,001-400,000  24.5%
                                                            Exceeding 400 000  25%

NOTE: Non-resident individuals are subject to income tax at a fixed rate of 25%, reduced by 1% from current 26%. There is no tax free threshold and no allowance i.e. flat rate.

Others
Utilities RM 200
Health Insurance for your wife RM?  (guess your employer is providing yours?)
Car rental R1200 per month
Fuel RM300
General shopping (not food) RM300

Your wife may be able to get a job at the Global Indian International School (GIIS) in Brickfields.

Hello gravitas

Thanks for your reply. I clarifies a lot

Please advice which place is good looking at my office location being Horizon Bangsar South, Jalan Kerinchi.

Also looks income tax applicability is key decision factor. Please suggest will i be 'tax resident' or 'non resident individual' considering i join on 1st dec'14 for 2 yrs for project manager in IT company.

Cheers

A person is classified as non tax resident until they have worked in Malaysia for 182 days in a calendar year January-December. So in 2014 you are definitely non-tax resident.

In 2015 you are non tax resident until about 1 July 2015. But the tax payments will be taken over the whole year, as long as you qualify by not breaking up the 182 days by a social absence of more than 14 days.

If you do leave the country for more than 14 days social absence, then you would go back to zero and the 182 days will start again.

It seems that some companies just deduct tax at the normal rates from the beginning. Some adhere to the taxation standards and deduct the flat rate tax for the first six months, but then any overpayment will be repaid when you make your tax return in April 2016 (it is essential to do this return and not forget about it).

People are now being stopped at borders if they try to leave the country with unpaid income tax. The immigration department and the tax office (HASIL in Cyberjaya) now have a shared database. So settling tax matters before departure will save any hastle.

Choice of a condo will depend on your budget preference and the size. Its quite a newly built area so there are some nice modern places, as well as older less expensive ones.

Thanks gravitas

I am looking for 1 bedroom accomodation for me, wife and my kid which should be close to Horizon Bangsar South, Jalan Kerinchi. Also, will surely need basic items like refrigerator, TV, AC etc fitted in accomodation

How much rental should i consider.

With a wife and kid verylow if you expect to save money. For a single guy willing to share a flat its ok. "Global" indian "school" will hire anyone especially wives of indian expats so chances high as she actually been a teacher unlike most of their staff. But pay will be very low but would help.

You should not convert to INR and go "wow". KL is expensive.

Hi,

Iam getting an opportunity to work in Malysia. They are offering 7800 RM per month. I have a family, with 2 kids,  1 is 5 years and one more is just 1 year. Is it sufficient to to manage family and save.

Regards,

dwarakabr - your 5 year old will need to be enrolled in a private or international school, unless you intend to home school. The fees range from RM1500 per month up to RM5000. You will need to take this into consideration.

This may help you understand the school system here. 

Info about fees and different deposits required

Unfortunately foreigners are not allowed to enrol their children in state schools.

dwarak, it will b tough for u to survive and zero savings. not a good offer.

dwarakabr wrote:

Hi,

Iam getting an opportunity to work in Malysia. They are offering 7800 RM per month. I have a family, with 2 kids,  1 is 5 years and one more is just 1 year. Is it sufficient to to manage family and save.

Regards,

My opinion, 7800 is Ok for a couple, NOT ok for a couple plus kids. I cant see how it would work. Schools, taxes, possibly two cars....oh my....

Hi frndz. My revised offer is 8500 + company accommodation (upto 2000) per month. Anything above 2k, i'll have to oay. Will i get furnished accomodation in 2k.

How is this offer now?

Depends where you want to live. Some areas it is possible and others not.  What is the street and neighbourood your office will be in?

My office will be in Horizon Bangsar South, Jalan Kerinchi.

Pantai Hillpark is close by and you can afford to live there with no additional payment

Paintai Hill Park - iproperty search results

It's about 10 minutes on foot to your office.

How is this offer for a ciuple with 10 month old kid. How much RM will i save in a month considering decent simple living?

How is this offer (RM 8500 + RM 2000 monthly paid directly to landlord) for a couple with 10 month old kid.
How much RM will i save in a month considering decent simple living within 2k accommodation limit?

How much will you rate this offer out of 10 (10 being highest)..?

As per your Indian salary , this offer is not good at all . If your current annual  salary is 15lacs ,Malaysian salary should be 15k to 20k per month .
Already Gravitas given all the information about living cost and taxes  , you can calculate  yourself .

Hi, as per my knowledge I gained from this forum is anything less than 12-15k is not good offer for a family to live in MY. But if you are planning to come alone to work here will be a different case, you can save a bit. Again it depends on how much you save from Indian salary currently..!!

So if you plan to come alone with this offer, you could save around 4000-5000 MYR depends on your living..!! More comfort on sharing basis..!!