Shortly arriving in Cologne

Hi,

I'm starting work in the Deutz area of Koln in September. I'd be very grateful to receive advice regarding living and working in the area and to make contact with English speakers. I sadly only have about 15 words in my Deutsche lexicon at present :/

Any advice, hints or tips gratefully received.

Thanks in advance

Kevin

Hi:)

We shall also be moving to Cologne soon. my husband has got a job offer from a company in the area...I am also trying to gather info about the city these days:)Would like to know how to get a reasonable flat there without having to pay this brokerage...

Hi guys--I moved to downtown Cologne last year, and found my apartment through E-Rent, and ended up having to pay a ridiculous brokerage fee. But I absolutely love the location of my apartment and I have really nice landlords.

Best of luck :) Feel free to email me for coffee or a beer if you want.

Hi,

I heard that the best way to avoid the brokerage is to get the local paper and go direct, but that's a bit of a problem in my case as I don't speak let alone read German!

I used e-rent to find a temporary place whilst i get used to the city and decide where I want to be long term.

Moving in on Tuesday!

I have made some contacts so anyone in a similar position please free to ask. :)

Well nowadays, the easiest way is to use the internet of course. There are many websites which offer appartments with pictures, but without brokerage. The matter, in fact, is these websites are of course in German. Probably google translate can help ;)

Oh, one more thing, forget about offers with the so-called WBS (WohnBerechtigungsSchein). This means these houses are reserved for those with low income or living on welfare.

Hello,
I am moving to Cologne next week and I am still looking for an apartment. After several attempts and nobody wants to wait for me (or trust me without seeing me in person), I will try also with e-rent. At least temporary.
Thanks for sharing information.
Ana

Welcome to Expat-blog, Ana! :)

Check out Cologne classifieds ! You could even post an advert there under the catgeory- accommodation.

It might be useful.

Regards,
Sheetul

(moderated: off topic + avoid copy paste message. Thank you)

Hey Kevin,

Have you had any luck finding friends in the area? I am american also working in Köln, Deutz! Are you still in Köln?

Emily

There is a meet up planned at Friesenplatz on saturday evening..will be a good idea to be there to meet new faces..let me know if anyone interested..

Yes I like to join

Hi Kevin.  I am planing to move to Koln next year.  I am going to start a training here in London firts called Celta.  And I am going to start learning German next week. I hope to meet you there.  I might go to Koln for a drink with frinds in January or Feb.

All the best.

Valter.

I'm German and could help you if you look for an apartment.Just send me a message.I would be glad to meet some Americans in Cologne because I love the USA and want to imorove my English
If you are new in Cologne I could show you the most interesting sights of the town.This offer is for all English speakers here.

Have a dual sim phone so that you will be able to have a sim of your home town and other sim of the present city.
It will be very useful.....