Nearly time to move

Hi

We have our flights booked and are all ( my husband ,me and our 3 year old daughter )due to move to Bahrain at the end of the month , we are renting a fully furnished villa in Hamala and this is our first expat experience.

I'm feeling a little overwhelmed while sorting my house out in the uk ! How do experienced expats manage without their  household contents ( bedding,kitchen equipment, children's toys ECt )when they are being shipped (could be at least 8 weeks after we arrive )? Or is it the case of buying when i arrive and have 2 of  most things?

I'm probably over thinking the situation as the stress of the move is settling in but would appreciate some reassurance .

Thanks
Becky

I would explain the situation to your new landlord. They can lend you stuff if they are nice. Also there are a couple of charity shops where you can get stuff really cheap to tide you over.

On facebook there is a page called mum's in bahrain classifieds. You can get tonnes of stuff on there too

Another option is for you to get a serviced apartment for 2 or 3 months. Once your shipment reaches Bahrain, you can move into the villa.

I usually do it one of two ways:

1) Temporary living in destination country in a serviced apartment for at least a month or two till the goods come in and then move
2) Whenever entitled to air freight AND sea freight; bring in the essentials via air, move into the house, buy a bed or two and hang in there till the rest of the stuff arrives

I agree with xtang. Bring the must have via air and hope the shipment doesn't get hung up somewhere if you're able. You can get enough to live comfortable until it shows up, and sites like mums and expatriates will save you some cash.

Thanks everyone , I will look at those websites .

I will just overfill my suitcase as much as I can and do some shopping when I arrive .

Wish you all the best for your stay in Bahrain. As a personal experience I would say that Bahrain is one of the best island on earth. The people are lovely and innocent.