Hi, an important message from a new member here

Hi,

IŽm new here and in the future I want to live in the Phillipines.

IŽm not religious at all and I donŽt believe in God, so I wonder how I can cope with that in the very religious Phillipines?

just be YOURSELF...If people ask about your religion, just change the subject, or just say you dont prefer to answser that question.
   Alot of people will leave you alone, and dont follow up on your doings in religion. Now if you are a devil worshipper and burn a cross in your yard, yes, you should not move there.
   Just do your own thing. Alot of people go to church there on seperate days, some saturdays, some sundays, etc. People dont pry into your business as much as people in the states do. Unless your gf-wife's family start asking, then you can push the subject off, and state that you want to keep that private even if they push some.
   I did notice that a DO NOT there is to talk politics out loud on their politics, or religion there to where someone who may not  be the same religion as you can take you for something else, possible threat, or even possible target.I would just keep your mouth closed on issues that could get you into trouble, understand?
   I am still in the states, my wife is pinay, and we want to move back once we are able too.
   hope this helps..
kenneth

Jean van den Berg wrote:

IŽm not religious at all and I donŽt believe in God, so I wonder how I can cope with that in the very religious Phillipines?

Jean,

Honestly, Jesus Christ will show you the way.

leem817

Its very quick to adapt to the filipino way of life. the filipinos are very accommodating and what you believe is what they believe. If you make friends with a filipino she will stick to you like glue

Jean,
I know some Scientist don't believe in God...In Philippines, Religion is open with lots of respect on each congregations.  When I was younger, I was your opposite, I tried all kinds of Religion in the Philippines (just curious).  And now I am living in a Muslim Country-UAE, they try to convince me to become a muslim. Im sure Filipinos will respect your belief.  I can only see a small problem and that is when you want to get married to a Filipina.  Conservative parents might ask this issue about your religion and you should be prepared to handle this...Enjoy you stay in the Philippines!

The secret?? when speaking about religion topic, just dont interfere, and do not mention that you are an atheist because they will insist that there is really a God. A quarelsome conversation about God is not worth having. So just act cool, and if they say there is a God then just nod and say ok.

its easy  just keep your mouth shut when it comes to religion. alot of filipinos are religious but not fanaticaly so .ive never had anyone try to bible push on me . main thing to remember is fillys love a big smile .smile and youll be much better recieved

The Philippines is primarily Catholic, however most of the churches and services are in Tagalog and or Cebuano with a few in English. To answer your question, you do not have to attend the church services or be religious anywhere in the Philippines, you can coexist easily here. Currently I am a Christian however I do not attend church services either. The few Catholic services I did attend, there were no foreigners in attendance so I kind of stood out as the only tall white guy in the service.

Charles

More info on: retiringphilippines.org

Hi
all of my wife's family are very religious (Catholic) we live in Bicol where it's said 90% are Catholic, but my wife knows my thoughts (same as u)and it's not spoken about.
our house was blessed by priest when we bought it, I just stayed outside having a beer, the family is pretty close and all attend religious festivals together ( like All Saints day) i'm not pressured to attend.
I think keeping your beliefs to yourself would be the best
policy
Pete

Well easy..The Filipino people won't force you to worship their God. So just be yourself and don't argue about religion. There's a lot to enjoy and explore in the Philippines. Cheers!

my wife is apostolic, i am Catholic she  goes  to her  service , i go to mine, we don't try to persuade each other either way

I don't have a specific religion but i believe in God. my friends nor family don't have any problems with it. I respect their religion, beliefs and traditions. Just go with the flow. never make an arguement because by end of the day no one will win because both parties have totally different idea.
Basically the filipinos respect each other religions. We got muslim, catholic, christians, protestants, Jehova. name it we have it.

U'll be fine! ;)

Live somewhere else :rolleyes:

That is right, we Filipinos are hospitable. As you guys are not doing anything bad to us, we wont harm you. we are loving people...

gracepa800 wrote:

Its very quick to adapt to the filipino way of life. the filipinos are very accommodating and what you believe is what they believe. If you make friends with a filipino she will stick to you like glue

hi i,m an athiest and have a catholic girlfriend living in lapu lapu we are fine .I told her from the the very beginning not to push the god bit at me as she would,nt like my reply I  also made it clear to all her family too so they accept me now .I tell her to go to church as normal . so after 1 year I  think ive we,ve past the hurdle.basically just come here and enjoy the country you won,t have any problems but change the subject when god comes up .