I m looking for a teaching job ( English )

Hi,i m actually in china and i m considering to go to saigon with my wife and son.i m 32 years old.i have a tefl certificate and a master degree.i do teach kids from 3 to 14 since four years in china.my mother is english and my father is french.i hold a french passport cause I grew up in France.still my mother tongue is english.i do speak English,French,Spanish,Chinese.i also play guitar and sing ( that s a very good thing when you teach kids they like songs ) QUESTION is : can I easily get a job as an English teacher in saigon with my profile?in advance thanks for your replies guys.

Hi,

I think it is better to you to check in job tab: https://www.expat.com/en/jobs/asia/vietnam/saigon/ instead of posting and waiting for people to call you.

Teaching Chinese is also a great idea. There are many companies looking for a Chinese translator.

Regards

Thanks dude for your reply.i speak chinese but not at the point to be a translator.i meant I have a french passport and I saw that could be a problem to teach english in Vietnam cause they looking for native speaker.i china is the same but that s not the law that s just the employer s preference.in china whatever you native speaker or not if you are good with kids ,entertaining and passionate of course without a weird accent you have no problem to find a job.is it the same is saigon?

Since my Cambodia friend announced me she was an English teacher, I've believed teaching is possible for any expats

Thanks for your reply.your answer make me feel more confident about my chance to get a job.if your friend from Cambodia has a job as an English teacher  In Vietnam that means a lot....I guess he gets paid like an asian teacher.sad to say that but last month we had a teacher born and raised in America from Chinese ancestors.he came to apply ,the hr department said ok but you ll get the same salary than a Chinese teacher ( the guy can t barely speak proper Chinese...) cause you have  an asian face...we all the foreigners were shocked.but reality is in china ( I don t know in Vietnam but I ve a feeling it s the same story )as long as you are white ( better with blue eyes and a bonus for blond hairs )and handsome whatever if you are a native english speaker or not as long as you are a correct teacher they will hired you.in china there s not only the teaching quality on the table.as I said if you are white and super handsome wherever you came from you have all your chances to get a job . the mothers are usually the ones who come to pick up the child at school cause daddy is working hard and has not time to take care of his wife ......except on the salary point so mum is happy to see a fancy handsome foreigner every week and that s marketing for the school cause mums stay and they talk about the good looking guy with their friends so more people come...I know nothing about Vietnam so my questions is : is it the same music for employment here?

Handsome/beautiful people always have more advantages in anywhere. But it doesnt mean that we, who are not "handsome" but good looking,dont have any chances. Although it can be difficult at the beginning, we have more chances to develop after that. I am sorry to hear about how the school judge you from outsides. Life isnt fair and all of us know that.

If the school just gives you asian salary, you can teach some more children at home or teach for some language schools. I believe you have more choices than a native English speaker.

Lovesaigon wrote:

I guess he gets paid like an asian teacher.sad to say that but last month we had a teacher born and raised in America from Chinese ancestors.he came to apply ,the hr department said ok but you ll get the same salary than a Chinese teacher ( the guy can t barely speak proper Chinese...) cause you have  an asian face...we all the foreigners were shocked.but reality is in china

It's same here in Vietnam, dear!
I once called my friend to ask her about job for my Indian teacher. But she said, her school only want an American teacher. I was little shocked, but I understanded. Because the fee of the school is very high, so many students want to study with native English teacher. Though, many English teacher, who are not native teacher, are really good teacher, but their salary is lower.

In my university, there is a project (it's named Project 2020) to improve English for all teachers.We need some foreigner teachers, and they pay the same for American or Indian (but salary for Viet teachers are very low). We here really liked the Indian, because he taught very well.

My Dean of Faculty talked to me: the degree is forced for everyone who wants to become a teacher in university. But finally, your professional ability is the most important. After some years, nobody cares about your degree, but your students will know about your ability... Life is unfair, but if you want, you can do anything! I thougth the unfair is sometimes  good for me, it reminds me try to improve myself always.

BTW, my friend teaches English at home for children, he is very busy and earns so much because he has many classes.

Good luck!

@ngattt

Project 2020...hmm!! Sounds familiar.
The British Council and the US Dept. of States are the partners in this mega initiative by MOET. Are there other international partners as well? :/
Do the regional FLCs (Foreign Language Centres) hire teachers independently or through partner channels?

BTW, I saw some lovely photos of the expat get-together that you shared on another thread. Cool! :top:

Dejavu.dot wrote:

If the school just gives you asian salary, you can teach some more children at home or teach for some language schools. I believe you have more choices than a native English speaker.

It's time to become a TEFL Equity Advocate against any kind of race/nationality based discrimination in English education across Vietnam!!

In the end, because of such discriminatory policies of some business establishments (AKA English Schools) the country itself gets a bad name. Are the authorities aware of that?

Why don't they make it mandatory for these schools to sign an "equal opportunities" policy??

Senior Linguists are advocating for the nNES worldwide. In an era of World Englishes one can't afford to stick to myths like "NES teachers only". After all, learning English from a NES won't directly qualify one for a green card in a certain country. It's as simple as that.

Here is what a qualified NES teacher has to say about this whole ESL business. It's time to spread the message, I believe.

These being said, those nNES willing to teach English need to be more careful about the basics of the language itself. Just a word of caution!

hi
i face the similar situation
could you name a few universities that hire Indian educators, too?
thanks.

Eek.  If you learn how to spell correctly, use the "space" in correct places and be able to write a proper sentence, people may want to hire you.

corashmi wrote:

hi
i face the similar situation
could you name a few universities that hire Indian educators, too?
thanks.

steaksauce wrote:

Eek.  If you learn how to spell correctly, use the "space" in correct places and be able to write a proper sentence, people may want to hire you.

Although I too have been critical of those who sought teaching jobs while consistently showing lack of knowledge of Englsih grammar, I do think she needs a pass on this one.  I have followed her posts on other threads and her English seems, if not perfect, perfectly acceptable.  Also this entry looks to be written on a phone where capitalization is inconvenient.  The use of the definite article in the first line and comma before "too" may be a bit odd but I do not see the spelling error or what you call the "space" error.

If I had young Viet children, I would prefer they be taught by an Indian than one of the many Eastern Europeans who pass themselves off as Native English teachers.

Moderated by Priscilla 6 years ago
Reason : please post in the jobs section
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hi,
I am TEFSOL certified as well as have a college degree.  I am interesting in finding a job in Saigon Vietnam as I will arrive June 21, 2017.  I plan to live there.  Please let me know all available teaching jobs in Saigon as well as the pay.  You may contact me here or ***
Regards,
Greg

Moderated by Priscilla 6 years ago
Reason : Do not post your personal contact details on a public forum for your own security