Seriously considering relocating to Alicante city.

Hi guys,

My name is Leighton, a 36 year old Londoner who's been living and working all over the world these past fifteen years.

I've mostly worked as an English teacher though I've also been lucky enough to earn a living as a freelance writer, text editor and voice over. In this capacity I got the amazing opportunity to interview a number of well known Hollywood movie stars.

Now, having lived in numerous countries, I feel the urge to settle down in a warm climate, somewhere not too far from home. Alicante City sounds right up my street but of course there are concerns. Which I hope you guys can help me with!

Are there a good number of English language institutes around the city? I've been looking at 'Stem', has anybody had any experience with them? Are English teaching jobs typically salaried or are teachers usually freelance?

What would people say are the biggest challenges of life in Alicante as an expat? And what are the best things? :)

Another concern is the opportunity to easily meet people within the city itself and quickly build up a social group? I get the feeling most expats live outside of the city itself?

Any other advice people might have would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Leighton

HI, try San Juan Bilingue. A bilingual social group which meet in San Juan Playa or Campello. there is a tram and bus service. very friendly group. they organise many social activities.

Hi

You are right in thinking that most expats don't live in Alicante city, there are loads of expat communities (ghettos😁) in the whole region of Alicante but not so many in the city. We used to live in an ex pat area but after 1 1/2 yr we moved an hour inland to a more Spanish area and we now have a very successful english academy here. The biggest difficulty is finding work, but with experience of working as an english teacher you should find a job as there are many academies in the city centre, if your heart is set on alicante city you could find a list of them and contact them first. Courses start sept/oct so you might have to act fast. The second difficulty is the language, it takes longer than you think to learn. We have found the spanish, in our town at least, very helpful and kind.

Actually as i said we have an english school called El Centro de Ingles, and we are looking for teachers, if you fancy trying life in Caravaca de la Cruz, Murcia let me know 😉

Thanks Recienllegada !

Thanks Weekend Speak - will get in touch shortly.