Do I need a General Visitor Visa from the USA to UK?

Hi,

I know everyone is on their personal journey to get to the UK. It's so exciting!

I visited the site www.gov.uk and found information stating if I planned to stay for 6 months or less I would need a General Visitor Visa when coming from the USA. Then, on the same sight it stated I did not need a General Visitor Visa, just a passport and two photos. I am concerned that if I arrive at Customs without a Visa I will be rejected and have to watch my plane fly away without me. How do I know if I need a General Visitor Visa or not? This is so confusing.

Please help.

I wish everyone the best on their journey! :-) See you in England!

Hello VegasExpat

Maybe you could just make a call to the British Consulate in Las Vegas to be sure what you need to have. Check out this link below for contacts and more infos.

http://embassy-finder.com/united-kingdo … -vegas_usa

Regards
Kenjee
Expat.com Team

To be honest that never crossed my mind, but that's a great idea! Thank Kenjee.

Hi, you don't need a visa if you are going to the UK for less than 6 months for a vacation only. However, if your vacation is unusually long (most people go for a couple of weeks or so) UK immigration control will want to know how you can afford a long vacation. Working on a tourist visa is forbidden so if they think you have insufficient funds, you will be denied entry and sent back home.
You said earlier you were going to Leicester University. If so you must get a student visa before you travel form the British Consulate in New York.