So, moving to Norway isn't proving an easy task.

Let me start by saying the REASON I want to move to Norway (aside from it being a beautiful country, which seemed more like "the right place" for me than my own hometown) is because of a relationship. We met just about two years ago now, and I have been there twice to visit him - we would really like to be together .. for real. But, as it seems, finding options for this is nor working out for us.

Due to medical reasons, he is on disability, and his income falls just short of the requirement for a Fiance Permit. He should have what UDI considers enough to support two people, and he doesn't. In moving, I fully intend on finding and keeping a steady job for us to live on a combined income.

What other options do I have? I have an associates degree, with four years of college studying photography under my belt, but so far I have found no way I could even take those studies into Norway.

I've called the Embassy nearest me, and also emailed the UDI - but the embassy didn't seem to have much of an idea what might help us in our plans, and the UDI just replied with links to the information on the website that I'd already read.

I'm looking for someone who might be able to help seek options, and perhaps better explain some of the things on the UDI website because.. To be completely honest, I get pretty confused when reading things like that - some of it seems quite hazy.

As for the possibility of him coming to the US, to be honest it is just a better idea for me to go to Norway. With his medical needs, it is better suited that he stay where everyone can read his records. Plus, I .. really would just like to go there!

Does anyone have any tips or advice or just.. anything helpful at all? With the issues of yearly income being JUST a bit too low, I don't know what to do.

I don't know if this will be helpful information, but US citizens can live in Norway without a visa for up to 90 days.  That should be enough time to find some sort of job, get a residency permit, and apply for a work permit.  IIRC, you can work as soon as you've applied for the work permit (although this may have changed/not be applicable to US citizens).

At the very least, ninety days should give you a fair crack at the labour market.  If you get a job as a photographer (or in something photography related), that will increase your chances of getting the work permit.  But, you will have to be exceptionally pro-active (giving away a days work for free, having a portfolio ready, going into places you want to work in to have a chat, showing that you are willing to learn Norwegian, etc) in order to secure a job in the current financial climate.

Well the time that I stayed there amounted to 90 days, but according to the information I was able to find I would have to go back to the US before applying for a fiance permit. Then once I HAVE applied, I am not allowed to enter the country until I have been approved or denied. I think the rules you are quoting are ones that only apply to citizens of Nordic countries?

90 says would be plenty of time to be able to find a job, and a place to live is already a confirmed situation. But, I think in order to get the job, I have to already have the work/residence permit? At least that is what my understanding was, but as I said - i don't always get these things.

Even if it is not a job in Photography, I would be willing to take up new skills in order to make this happen.

static wrote:

Then once I HAVE applied, I am not allowed to enter the country until I have been approved or denied.

This isn't entirely true. Some countries are exempt from this rule. I applied from Australia and was able to go to Norway before my visa was approved or denied. (You must report yourself to a police station upon arrival) This was confirmed by both the Norwegian embassy in Australia and UDI. I would assume US would be exempt too.

I wish, I wish, I wish I had not applied in Australia via the embassy and UDI. It has been 6 months of waiting and now they are telling me it could be another 5 months!!! ARGH. What makes it worse is that the police station immigration office in Bergen said it would have only been a 2-3 week waiting period if I applied through them:(

If your partner does not have income totalling 218,000kr per year you can also have it in a lump sum of savings.

Here's some more info about immigration from a really great blog:
mylittlenorway.com/2009/01/work-and-residency-permits-for-norway/

If you apply your work permit in Norway, you can stay up to 90 days until you get the answer from UDI. My advise, is best for you to find any other job first. Not easy to find job as photographer in such short time.

LittleL wrote:

What makes it worse is that the police station immigration office in Bergen said it would have only been a 2-3 week waiting period if I applied through them:(

If your partner does not have income totalling 218,000kr per year you can also have it in a lump sum of savings.

Ohh, these two bits here are some good news to hear. Bergen is the city he lives in, and being able to work off a savings is much more promising. I think I recall something about my savings being allowed to be counted as well, as long as I am 23 or older (which I am :P) - so maybe first if we put off some visiting for a while and work on saving as much money as possible, it will increase the chances of getting an approved permit.

suzie1976 wrote:

If you apply your work permit in Norway, you can stay up to 90 days until you get the answer from UDI. My advise, is best for you to find any other job first. Not easy to find job as photographer in such short time.

Oh yes, I will work anywhere that will hire me really. He suggested some ideas of things that would require little communication at first, until I am able to speak more fluent Norwegian - like cleaning hotel rooms or something. I would be fine with that or anything. What I am confused about now, though, is - Can I seek employment without having an approved permit first? I was under the impression I would not even be allowed to find a job, until I had something approved?

You can seek employment without a work permit.  Also, it is illegal to discriminate against people who don't speak Norwegian if the company offering the position cannot demonstrate that Norwegian is a requirement for the job.  So, for example, taking milieu photographs for a newspaper probably doesn't require Norwegian language.  Taking family portraits in a shopping centre, however, probably does require some Norwegian.

But remember, English speakers are a prized asset in Norway, and your lack of Norwegian language skills is more likely to be overlooked than if you were, say, Colombian.

Alright, so I am able to seek a job without a permit. That is good to know, I could probably have some contacts in Norway see if anyone they know is hiring any positions, that might be helpful! That will be something for me to look into - though i still imagine it might be hard to find someone willing to hire.

As of right now, my next visit to Norway will be some time away, but I think the next time I am there I will most definitely visit the police station to ask more about permits. We were under the impression it would do no good to go to them, before having applied for other kinds of permits.

Thank you all so much for your input, and I look forward to any more someoen might have.

Hi,

I am an American living in Norway - also because of a  boyfriend. Some information that I have found:

We spoke to a representative at the police station who informed us that I can seek employment but the type of employment must be within the scope of my 4 year degree in Communications. So I can find work as a waitress but it I will not qualify for a permit to stay in Norway.

No one seemed to be clear on the 90 day rule.  One person said that if I left and returned then the 90 days would start over.  The UDI site stated that if I stayed in Norway for 90 days then I must leave for 90 days before I can return.

Everyone seemed to agree that if I am considered for a job while here on a 90 day stay, then I can go to the police station and ask for an extension.

The UDI has updated their site since the laws changed in January.  There is a new rule for skilled workers who are looking for work in Norway. Skilled workers can now apply for a residence permit for up to one year to attend Norwegian language courses, or for up to two years to take additional education, gain work experience or attend another course that is required in order for their education to be recognised in Norway. Both permits will automatically grant the holder the right to work part-time in addition to his/her studies and full-time during holidays.  Check it out at:  udi.no/Norwegian-Directorate-of-Immigration/News/2010/Simplified-rules-for-skilled-workers/

Hope this helps!

Sorry one more link.  This explains the program a little better.  Click on the link and then scroll down until you see the header "Norwegian language courses for skilled workers".

udi.no/Norwegian-Directorate-of-Immigration/Central-topics/Studies/What-studies-can-a-residence-permit-be-granted-for/#Norwegian

i am south african my husband and son are Polish and we are looking to come to norway, was wondering whether anyone had any good tips or advice for us. little scared of the initial start up.