Food Cost for a Family

Hello,
My name is Charles and my wife and 2 kids boys 6&8 are considering moving to the DR.
While in the US we currently spend
750.00 per month in Food
150 for mobile phone
250 for elec
70 for water/sewage
30 for Gas house
and 300 for Gasoline

We are curious as to what we should budget for these necessities in the DR.
I realize Gasoline is about double the cost
but beyond that what should be expect.  I've seen some cost of living sites but they seem a little low
please help as we are planning our budget.

First welcome to the forums!   Wow,  this is a big undertaking for you.  Have you visited here before?  What areas?  Which area are you thinking to move to? It will make a difference in costs somewhat. Some areas are just more expensive.

I live in Santo Domingo. Food here is less expensive, transportation is less expensive, we have more phone / internet / cable options. 

Food -  it will depend how you want to eat.   If you want mostly American style  foods then expect to spend money. If you want to eat more local and simply  then it will cost you less.  I can't begin to suggest what your food will cost. 

Electricity here must be managed as it is bloody expensive.  We pay on a tier so the more you use the more you pay per KWH.  But then again, you will not worry about heating your house here    :D

Cell phone costs depend on how you use it!  I have a plan that gives me 200 minutes local or international, full unlimited connectivity, downloads etc   and I pay the equivalent of US 25 a month.

HD cable,  6 mbps of internet, unlimited,   plus a home line with 400 minutes per month international and local for just under US 100 a month.

Gas for cooking - so I bought the equivalent of  US 30 August 2013  and i just refilled the tank.  Yup I don't cook much.

My water bill is  186 RD a month or under US 5.

I dont have a car, here in the capital taxis are just too inexpensive. For US 5 I can go clear across the big city!

hope this gets you started.

Great to hear someone is responding from Santo Domingo.  That is where the opportunity is.  We will likely come for a visit in the next 6-8 weeks.  We are very excited, but nervous.  Looking and planning for move late spring or early summer.
Is there a good web site to check on food prices?
cost of meat, eggs, milk, cheese, bread, yogurt, flour...etc.
Also
If you were me what questions would you ask you?
did you get that? haha.

Hahaha you are good.  When you come to SD please let me know, i will be happy to show you around.

One way to get prices is online newspaper that has regular store ads.  Www.diariolibre.com. they have online version daily. Dollar id about 43.3 to one!

Oh man what questions would I ask me....... honey go read.aot of the threads, that will get you started.  Then ask away!!!

Charles welcome.

I second the idea of coming for a lengthy visit before deciding on the move.  The DR does not "fit everyone" but when it does it is a great place to live.

As to the expenses you list:

If you eat local products and don't need imported goods then it will be cheaper here if not it will be the same of more expensive..  We use almost all local products except for beef steaks and mayo.  Those we use imported and our costs are about 35-40% less here

Electricity depending on the size of you home and how much you use the AC, run a pool pump, hot water (we use solar for this) your costs will be less or maybe the same.  Again depending on usage.

The rest of the expenses will be about the same except for phone will be less.  Gas for the car is stupid expensive here.

Hope this helps and keep the questions coming

Bob K