Working permits

HI I am new to this forum so hello to everyone! I hope someone can answer this question, well actually two questions. Is it difficult for an American to find a job in Dar es Salaam? And what documentation do you need for a work permit and could I apply for a work permit while still living in the U.S. so that I can already have it when I can to Dar Es Salaam?

I was just wondering because in a few months, I am coming to visit a friend who lives in Dar Es Salaam and while I was there I was interested in looking for work.

Hi Sarah,

You cannot personally apply for a work permit - only an employer has to do that. The way it works is that you first look for a job and if the employer is interested in employing you, they then have to apply for a work permit on your behalf. The process of obtaining a work permit can be quite long and could take between 3-5 months.

Each employer is given a quota by the Ministry of Labour and Immigration Department of how many foreign employees (who'll require work permits)they can employ. The Immigration dept is quite stringent and conducts frequent visits to determine whether there has been any breach of the quota. If an employer wants to employ a foreigner, he will require to apply to the Ministry of Labour and once approval is given, make a further application to the Immigration.

Since you will be coming to Tanzania on a visitor's visa, I would advise that you try and look for a job once you are here. Once you get a job, then the employer will make the application for work permit. You'll not be legally allowed to work without a work permit (although some employers will get you to work with a business visa).

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the information. It really helped. Still I wonder, would it be difficult for me to find work. Would it takes months, or a year to find a job, I plan on trying to stay for 3 months.

I guess it all depends what type of job you are looking for, but, in your opinion what are the easiest jobs for a foreigner to apply for?

Sarah,

Everything jkirimi wrote is correct regarding the process of applying for a work permit.  The work permit is linked to a particular job and a particular employer so you can't just get a general work permit that allows you to work anywhere.

As for finding a job...it can be difficult for foreigners to get a job here.  The cost of getting a work permit for a foreigner is very high so many employers are reluctant to employ foreigners.  The most common type of jobs that are available to foreigners are in tourism - hotel management, tour operators etc.  Maybe teaching in international schools if you have good qualifications.  Perhaps if you tell us what qualifications/interests you have, we might be able to direct you better.

Okay,

I figured, companies may be reluctant to hire a foreigner, because of the fee's and paper work and all. But yeah,I was thinking about the tourism sector; maybe hotel receptionist anything that has to do with tourism, I am working towards my Associates degree in Business, and by the time I travel to Tanzania, I will have my Associates which may improve my chances of finding a job.

I have worked in the jewelry industry for 10 years now, inspecting diamonds and color stones, maybe a job in the jewelry industry could be an option too. I do have a CV, not an extensive one but I do have one. Thanks for any help you can give me.

Sarah

hi ppl,

Can sumone help me find a job relating customer service or administration in der es salaam.

Hi Lioness2010, you should post an ad in Tanzania Classifieds -> Jobs, Administrative section.
Wishing you good luck :)

sarahlovely31 wrote:

Okay,

I figured, companies may be reluctant to hire a foreigner, because of the fee's and paper work and all. But yeah,I was thinking about the tourism sector; maybe hotel receptionist anything that has to do with tourism, I am working towards my Associates degree in Business, and by the time I travel to Tanzania, I will have my Associates which may improve my chances of finding a job.

I have worked in the jewelry industry for 10 years now, inspecting diamonds and color stones, maybe a job in the jewelry industry could be an option too. I do have a CV, not an extensive one but I do have one. Thanks for any help you can give me.

Sarah

Hi Sarah,

There are some openings for skilled workers in the precious stones cutting industry but if you are just looking for the receptionist or admin position the vacancies are mostly for the local Tanzanians. Meanwhile you can also post your CV in job portal bestjobsafrica.com

cheers