Driving License

Hi,

I am Nina from Vienna (Austria) living in Delhi since 2 1/2 years now and planning to get a driving license.

However, I have been told that I need to have Indian Nationality in order to apply for this or get a birth certificate made of Delhi(fake of course). Though I have a PIO card as well as a PAN card it doesnt seem to be sufficient.

Any expats in Delhi who have faced this problem as well ? Please give in your suggestions!

Thanks a lot
Regards,
Nina

Hi,

A friend of mine faced the same problem. She too is from Graz, Austria. She did the smart thing, i donno if it works for you or not.You guys have auto stores across the country where you just have to walk in and request for an Intl. driving license and within no time they issue the license. And that is very much valid in India. If you try to get it here you'll be running here and there unnecessarily and end up paying a hefty amount for nothing.... This is a genuine advise......

Rgds/Parul,,,

Dear Paul,

Thanks indeed - that is what I actually did as well, I got my international  license from Vienna and will use it now for at least a year.

I just hope that I wont get any difficulties with the Indian officials here :)

Regards,
Nina