Visa for unmarried couple?

Hello,

I'm French and my Irish partner has been offered a job in Kuwait and therefore, I'm guessing, will have no problem getting a work visa... I just wonder if the fact that we are not married will create any difficulty for me to also get a visa. We have lived together for years and have 2 children but I guess that probably wouldn't count for much in a Muslim state. I have looked on a few websites but can't really find much detailed info on visas... Let me know if you know any good ones.

Besides the visa issue, I'm also wondering how our family setup would be regarded in Kuwait?... Living in sin, even if it's Catholic sin, etc?... :P

Thanks!

Family visit

Required documents:

1,. Fill a typical request for a visit, security and sign it.
2. Image of the visitor's passport that is valid.
3. Provide proof of kinship.
4. Salary certificate of the sponsor foreign.
Visa entry Avail

Avail entry requirements by the Ministerial Decree No. 502 / 93
- Government Sector: The salary of not less dependency on government employee 250 d. K.
- Private sector: not less dependency employee's salary in the private sector for 250 d. K.

Required Documents
1. Fill a typical request of visa and security with the signature.
2. Passport photo is required for entry Avail.
3. Image of the civil ID of the sponsor.
4. Marriage contract authenticated by the official authorities of Kuwait for the wife if the husband asked.
5. Bring proof of kinship between the guarantor and guaranteed.
6. Copy of work permit to determine the condition of the salary of the civil sector workers, or salary certificate of employees in the government sector.
7. For Article (19) Copy of license or contract of the company and is subject appreciation in application Avail Mr. Director-General

so i think you should be married

take care

i know loadsa people living together who arent married....they've just lied about it.  i also know some single mothers who've managed to get their kids into kuwait without any trouble.  what job is ur partner going to do?  i know a spanish guy who came out with his gf, but they just lied and said they were married.  to be honest though, just for the sake of making life easier, u would do better just getting a civil union or soemthing if u dont wanna get married.  i'll try and find out more from the couples i know out here.

Hi there!

IMHO, it is probable that you might have some difficulty to apply for your own visa apart from your partner's since you are not yet married and have no formal document to establish your conjugal relationship. What Kwaiti Girl mentioned is possible if your partner already has a visa and is in Kwait before you as it is under the category of family visit.

Once you get there, however, there are other things to mind. Cohabitation of unmarried couple in Arab countries, as far as I know, is illegal (not to mention cohabitation itself already entails a lot of challenges to the couple anywhere in the world even if it's legal in some other country). But it still happens, as the couple usually just make a pretense of being married or do a "silent wedding". You have a risk of being arrested and spend jail time in the case of unmarried cohabiting, so be very careful about it.

Unmarried couples face some substantially different risks that married partners do not have to worry about, and when you're in a country where it's illegal to cohabit, the risk doubles.  There are also benefits, but you'd want to balance out the pros and cons before deciding.

Just get married already.:P

theres no such thing as a visa for an unmarried couple. so in that area, ur out of luck.

ur way around it would be similar to most contractors in kuwait without residencies; rely on ur passport to get u thru the gates of kuwait for 3 months (visa on arrival for french nationals), then leave every 3 months to dubai, come back and get a new one, until you get a job that offers residency (unless ur a stay-@-home dad, in which case its just travel, travel, travel every 3 month period)

as for living, u can rent an apartment with the visit visa, ive seen it done before. however, in terms of actually living together, you are required to submit a wedding license (or certificate or whatever u call it) along with ur visit visa etc. to get your papers processed.

i think some landlords would look the other way in some cases, seeing as how a) you are non-muslim b) you two are consenting adults

however, if the landlord so chooses, they can have you arrested for vice, as it is illegal to share an apartment with a woman whom you are not married to.

again, this is all technically speaking, thru dialogue and understanding, anything is possible. i believe so long as u two dont show any PDA in the building, it should be ok.

now, as for the kids, without wasta (the arabic term for influence etc) ur partner cannot have them as dependents added to her residency, the whole family-dependency visa is only availed to males.

so, yes, i wont lie to u, ur situation would be tricky.

wasta would sound weird in west lolz

Thanks for all the info, guys. We have decided against moving to Kuwait anyway, for reasons unrelated to the above and I must say I'm glad we are not moving. But many thanks for your help and I hope you keep enjoying the expat life! :)

You can apply as tourist visa and can stay for 2 months and find a work visa so you can stay permanently

I think it is better to get married and come to Kuwait.

Just to be on the safe side.

Maybe it is time to tie the knot ;)