Higher studies in V'namese universities

Any recommendation about higher academic studies (M.Phil/PhD) from Vietnamese universities, preferably in the south - central region?..... Of course, in English medium...part time/ full time!!

Specialization:
Information Systems and other relevant IT topics (data security, big data, cloud computing, analytics etc.)
I did some research and found the following:
1. VGU
2. FPT
3. HCMC university of Science and Technology
4. Tan Tao University
5. Hoa Sen University
6. RMIT (complete rip off ^^)

Any others?? I would rather prefer a Vietnamese university than those international universities, provided studies can be done in English medium.
I understand Vietnam is putting lots of emphasis in recent days on encouraging quality research in diverse fields.

Which one might be deemed as the best and most cost-effective option, in terms of cost and future academic value and recognition, both inside and outside (within Asia) of Vietnam?

Has anyone here had any experience about that?
Please advise the pros and cons of such an academic venture.
Thanks for your comments.

senwl wrote:

Specialization:
Information Systems and other relevant IT topics (data security, big data, cloud computing, analytics etc.)

HCM University of Technology: http://www.hcmut.edu.vn/en
There is a Faculty of Computer Science & Engineering: http://www.cse.hcmut.edu.vn/site/en/
I studied here from 2010 to get Master degree. I think it's the best in HCM now.

@ gnattt,
Thank you very much for the lead.
I will surely explore more about this university and it's CSE faculty.

My daughter has started looking for university opportunities, preferably with bursaries/scholarships.

There are also international links to VN universities, for example City University of Seattle in Vietnam has links to several uni's. For info check: [ www.cityu.edu/Vietnam/ ].

Whilst it's not in VN, the University of Chiang Mai, Thailand, [ www.cmu.ac.th ], offers education in English and examinations meeting international requirements. What's interesting they offer financial support to students from VN.

Oil, mining geology university courses are offered in Vung Tau [ www.humg.edu.vn/en/index.php?option=com … Itemid=260 ]. This university is recognised world-wide for it's oil/mining related courses. It also has a Faculty of Information Technology.

Ah, I forgot, you can study in JVN: http://www.jvn.edu.vn/

Hi,

Jaitch is right! The name of Vietnam university is not important much. There are many many Vietnam universities associating with western/asian universities which arent really big and famous. For the degree M.Phil/PhD of IT, I am afraid that VN is still too young to give that certification. I just check FPT which is specilizing in teaching IT, they just have Master education. http://www.fpt.edu.vn/en/story/academic-courses

Regards

ngattt wrote:

Ahh ha! I didn't know about that. Looks great, in Thu Duc district!!
Thank you so much for this lead @ ngattt :)

Dejavu.dot wrote:

Hi,

Jaitch is right! The name of Vietnam university is not important much. There are many many Vietnam universities associating with western/asian universities which arent really big and famous. For the degree M.Phil/PhD of IT, I am afraid that VN is still too young to give that certification. I just check FPT which is specilizing in teaching IT, they just have Master education. http://www.fpt.edu.vn/en/story/academic-courses

Regards

Thanks Dejavu,
Yes, you are right. Most of the VN unis are tying up with foreign/asian universities of lesser repute for higher academic exchanges. Academic research in Engineering sector hasn't taken off in a big way in VN. FPT has some kind of research program which is located in Hanoi. Not sure whether it leads to a Phd though! Looks more like the company's internal R&D section... http://ftri.fpt.edu.vn/

Thanks for your inputs, Jaitch.

Jaitch wrote:

My daughter has started looking for university opportunities, preferably with bursaries/scholarships.

I think VGU gives scholarship to meritorious VN students http://www.vgu.edu.vn/studies/scholarsh … -students/
I think many of these universities (tied to foreign ones) are offering scholarships.

There are also international links to VN universities, for example City University of Seattle in Vietnam has links to several uni's. For info check: [ www.cityu.edu/Vietnam/ ].

Yes, almost all VN universities are now doing these higher academic exchanges with Western/Asian universities. They actually want to develop the research sector which as Dejavu has pointed out, is still in its infancy.

Whilst it's not in VN, the University of Chiang Mai, Thailand, [ www.cmu.ac.th ], offers education in English and examinations meeting international requirements. What's interesting they offer financial support to students from VN.

Yes, CMU is a very respected name in the region.   
There's also one Asian Institute of Technology outside of Bangkok http://www.ait.asia/ which has some good international programs. I came to know about it because one of my former colleagues from Myanmar did his graduation from AIT...and now doing his Phd from Glasgow university.

Oil, mining geology university courses are offered in Vung Tau [ www.humg.edu.vn/en/index.php?option=com … Itemid=260 ]. This university is recognised world-wide for it's oil/mining related courses. It also has a Faculty of Information Technology.

Unfortunately all the links under Faculty of IT are broken links. :( I will try to gather more info about it from other sources. Thanks for these leads, Jaitch. I appreciate it.

senwl wrote:
ngattt wrote:

I hear some friends and teachers said: if you do/study in JVN to get PhD degree, JVN will pay some money for you, not much, about 5 mils VND - 250$/1 month. But you must go to lab every day, to reasech, you can't have a job to earn money.

A year ago, I want to study again, and I think JVN is my best choice. But I still want to teach, 4 years only to study and research and not have much money... I am not young enough to live like that. I can't. Or I must get a scholarship and study abroad. Or I must choice CSE. Or, more simply, just teach and spend much time for students to help them improve IT skills and soft skill, hihi. Still thinking...

ngattt wrote:
senwl wrote:
ngattt wrote:

I hear some friends and teachers said: if you do/study in JVN to get PhD degree, JVN will pay some money for you, not much, about 5 mils VND - 250$/1 month. But you must go to lab every day, to reasech, you can't have a job to earn money.

A year ago, I want to study again, and I think JVN is my best choice. But I still want to teach, 4 years only to study and research and not have much money... I am not young enough to live like that. I can't. Or I must get a scholarship and study abroad. Or I must choice CSE. Or, more simply, just teach and spend much time for students to help them improve IT skills and soft skill, hihi. Still thinking...

@ ngattt,
Thank you very much for these information. JVN is actually part of National University of Vietnam.... and definitely a top choice in VN.

Btw, I have a few questions on this Phd stuff.

1. Is it 4 years (full time) of coursework and research to get your Phd in Vietnam?? That, to me looks a little too long. The usual time period is 3 yrs. In many Australian universities you can even do it in 2 years.... no course work needed. Thrown straight into research.

2. Do you have any MPhil course in Vietnam? This MPhil (usually 1 - 2 years) is basically half-way to Phd. Here in India, you can just do it in one year. It's mostly coursework based followed by research and thesis.

Of course, the more time you spend on research the better is the quality of your thesis. I understand that.

But, as you pointed out.... for many of us, in the middle of our career... it's not a feasible option to go for 4 years of full-time study and research even for a meager stipend every month.
$250 may just...just....get me a small private accommodation in HCM, if I am lucky.

I understand your situation. Of course, I don't know about all the constraints you might have. Still, being almost on the same boat with you, I suggest, for next two-three years you should concentrate on teaching at your university.

A few years later, with some more years of teaching experience under your belt, you may try to get some scholarship to go abroad for research....or.... apply for work-integrated Phd option. I don't know if such options are there in VN....but, it is extremely popular in the west.

Will it make a huge difference if you switch to CSE from IT?? I think, CSE has slightly better research prospects though.

Not a bad idea, you can open an IT and Soft Skill training centre and invite me as guest faculty....hehe :D

senwl wrote:

1. Is it 4 years (full time) of coursework and research to get your Phd in Vietnam?? That, to me looks a little too long. The usual time period is 3 yrs. In many Australian universities you can even do it in 2 years.... no course work needed. Thrown straight into research.

Oh, sorry, I forgot, 4 years is in the past :D. The new program for PhD is 3 years, but I never see who can complete the program in 3 years :D, especially, IT field. Maybe because they were doing research and working to earn money. Or it depends on how many paper you can publish. If you can publish soon, you can finish soon. At least 2 papers in international journal/conferences. But it depends on your Professor, I asked my Professor, he said I must have 8 papers :D. Omg :D. I think I dont enough money to publish papers :D.

senwl wrote:

2. Do you have any MPhil course in Vietnam? This MPhil (usually 1 - 2 years) is basically half-way to Phd. Here in India, you can just do it in one year. It's mostly coursework based followed by research and thesis.

I dont know exactly about this. You can contact JVN to get more information. But when you study here, you must finish 5 courses (3 credits/ 1 course) before you do your thesis. I knew this information from 2010, I dont know how it is now.

senwl wrote:

A few years later, with some more years of teaching experience under your belt, you may try to get some scholarship to go abroad for research....or.... apply for work-integrated Phd option. I don't know if such options are there in VN....but, it is extremely popular in the west.

Will it make a huge difference if you switch to CSE from IT?? I think, CSE has slightly better research prospects though.

Even you study in JVN, you must appy in CSE first. But you are guided by some Professor of JVN (almost them are foreigners or some Viet professors are working in Japan, French,...), its good for you than CSE. I think you should contact with JVN.

My English is not good enough to get schoolarship and study in JVN :D. But I will try.
Luckily, I'm not forced to have a PhD degree. I just need to have a Ph.D degree to be Dean of Faculty :P or to get more 2 millions (VND) salary, kakaka.

Today I am little busy. I will talk to you later.

ngattt wrote:

Oh, sorry, I forgot, 4 years is in the past :D. The new program for PhD is 3 years, but I never see who can complete the program in 3 years :D, especially, IT field. Maybe because they were doing research and working to earn money. Or it depends on how many paper you can publish. If you can publish soon, you can finish soon. At least 2 papers in international journal/conferences. But it depends on your Professor, I asked my Professor, he said I must have 8 papers :D. Omg :D. I think I dont enough money to publish papers :D.

8 papers  :/  in refereed journals before I get my Phd ....  :unsure That's too much...will feel sleepy (^_^)

I think you should contact with JVN.

Yes, I am in the process of getting more info from JVN. Let me see what transpires!!

Thanks for all these helpful information. Have a nice day.

senwl wrote:

8 papers  :/  in refereed journals before I get my Phd ....  :unsure That's too much...will feel sleepy (^_^)

He he, maybe he wanted I must try all my best, and do reasearch seriously :D. Now he dont have any slot for me, he has enough PhD students. I am waiting some months or find other chances. He already had a PhD student, who has 10 papers :D, in some Vietnam conference, and some international conferences/journals.
But I think, its ok if you have 2 papers in the journals with high Impact Factor.

ngattt wrote:

But I think, its ok if you have 2 papers in the journals with high Impact Factor.

You are right :top:  ^^

i have much interest in the school,pls how will i get the admission?

I have hired, during the course of my career, literally hundreds of people both in VietNam as well as many other countries.

The main benefit of a university education is that it teaches you how to think.

When hiring I go for experience over an alphabet after a person's name.

A good parrot could, if you think about it, pass an exam and know absolutely nothing about the subject. So it is with students. If you have a good memory you get high marks - until you are required to do some original work.

Wags (jokers) have said that BSc stands for Bullsh*t Certificate, MSc for More Sh*t and PhD for Piled Higher and Deeper.

I have helped Vietnamese students edit their Thesis and some of the subjects they are forced to write about are arcane. What hasn't been the subject of a Thesis? One of my talents is as a re-write editor and it is amazing just how bad some of these 'university mentors' are.

As I said, I go for experience over alphabets. The reason is when you emerge from university, at whatever level, your head is filled with theory, the esoteric and has minimal relationship to any of today's realities.

The first thing an employer has to do is strip away the veneer of university and then inculcate the employee with the companies culture. With an experienced person this requires a minimal amount of time.

MY SUGGESTION to anyone staring a PhD course in the face is to join your chosen profession, get a year or two's experience - as well as some money - then rejoin the university. With the knowledge you have gained you will be able to judge the words spouted forth by some of reprobate of a professor who hasn't worked in industry.

I'll give you a typical reality check. PRESUME YOU HAVE A METAL PANEL, in a car, which at certain speeds, vibrates. The vibration can be eliminated by making the panel thicker or more stiff. HOW WOULD YOU SOLVE THE PROBLEM? (Answer later this evening)

Jaitch wrote:

I'll give you a typical reality check. PRESUME YOU HAVE A METAL PANEL, in a car, which at certain speeds, vibrates. The vibration can be eliminated by making the panel thicker or more stiff. HOW WOULD YOU SOLVE THE PROBLEM? (Answer later this evening)

Now I cant think anything rightly after scoring many student's tests this afternoon.
But I really want to know your experience about this problem.

I worked on a education project for my university. It took much time, but I didnt have many experiences because after it was installed in some universities (of government), I must spend much time to maintain it. After that, I tried to upgrade it with a higher programming language, but unfortunely, I must stop because of some personal reasons :D. I went to Saigon and continued to study.

It's very complicated when you do something with goverment :D. Though, I achieved some success but I really wasted my time...

Ok, I must go home now. Someone came here and force me out :D.

Jaitch wrote:

Making the panel thicker or more stiff will only cause it to crack even at the slightest vibration.
Use a buffer, preferably rubber or asphalt materials that absorb vibration, around the panel....or at least at the point of contact with the body of the car.
I know it's kind of a two-pence worth of non-Phd solution.  ^^
Sure, there must be more sophisticated R&D solutions available in the market.

Jaitch wrote:

MY SUGGESTION to anyone staring a PhD course in the face is to join your chosen profession, get a year or two's experience - as well as some money - then rejoin the university. With the knowledge you have gained you will be able to judge the words spouted forth by some of reprobate of a professor who hasn't worked in industry.

You are spot on, Jaitch. Especially in IT, we take pride in our clan of boisterous drop-outs!!

A RECAP
This is a true story of one of Detroit's former big three testing a proposed car.

When they ran over part of the test track a floor panel vibrated excessively.

Remember, cars have to meet certain restrictions: Retail price, fleet fuel efficiency and ease of manufacture.

The Solution
You all most likely know the answer. If you hold a piece of paper in the air, it likely folds up. However, if you fold it, once, it will maintain rigidity.

The solution to the vibration was, during the stamping procedure for the floor panel, was to form a narrow channel from one corner to the opposite one. As a result the panel was more rigid and stopped vibrating.

Voila! Minimal added cost, no increase in weight (and added fuel consumption), and a piece of cake to do in manufacturing.

As I said, experience counts for a lot, so go get some before doing your PhD!

Learning through trial-n-error is more welcome than bragging on plagiarized wisdom.

That's why people still prefer digging deeper into that 'piled high and deep'.

After all, in the university laboratory one doesn't have to slave around to take care of an employer's profit margin!!

A mason knows (hands-on) how to align the bricks to maintain the CG of a structure,.... but that doesn't make an architect redundant! Neither does it qualify the mason to become an architect!!

It's extremely short-sighted to demean either the mason or the architect and their respective professional and academic achievements.

He who does it, unfortunately, makes himself a laughing stock.

Today, my old Dean of Faculty visited my office. He talked to me: dont study here, you should go abroad, you will have many chance to get married with foregner :D. Dont get married with Viet men... because woman are like you, not easy to have a man who understands and shares with you all thing in your career.

Haizzz :D. Thinking :D.

But I dont know when I can get enough English score if I must teach so much :D. Dont have any time to relax in this year... teach and teach, study and study whole year. Headache!

I wish I were 18 years old now :D.

Uni students studying tech subjects might want to read this:
[ http://www.forbes.com/sites/vivekranadi … any-trade/ ]

Thank you, Jaitch!

"But if you teach people how to think and look at lots of information and connect dots  all skills that a classic liberal education gives you  you will thrive."

I always try to teach my students how to think, how to observe everything.
Some days ago, after taking the exam, my students complainted:
- You had a trap in the test and the test is so long.
- No trap, I just want you use your observation and you must think how to connect them to save your time. Dont complaint if you cant :).

Good to see, educators are talking about computational thinking:
[http://www.computerweekly.com/feature/L … l-thinking]

"It's important to think about thinking and if you can use that in the real world then you're skilled for life."
Yes, that's why one studies Computer Science in a school or university to train one's mind to deal with the Big Picture through structured analytical thinking.

For one whose mission in life is to become an IT coolie or a businessman selling "version updates" and "bug fixes" to make a fortune out of that, university is perhaps NOT the right place. Ubiquitous training centres are all around to cater to his/her needs.

Learning Computer Science is NOT all about learning how to write codes.
With time, Pearl may lose its shine to Ruby and Ruby to Sapphire....but what remains constant is the mind, trained and nurtured to deal with the intricacies of computational thinking at an elevated level.
Yes you need Mathematics, the mother of computational logic, for that.

That's why you are here in a university .... and that's your takeaway.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTHING can be done by a computer.
It's the human brain and its unique algorithmic analytical power, imagination, ideas and creativity that MAKE that dumb machine DO something productive.

Even a secondary level ICT student is supposed to know that.
One doesn't have to travel to MIT to get enlightened on such basics.

Understandable, why some people fail to connect their left brains to their right ones!!

MIT and Harvard will continue to prevail in their own academic glories, but it's those "failures", who perhaps never got their orientations right, who will always fret around in frustration, making MIT and Harvard their scapegoats.

That's unfortunate!!

senwl wrote:

NOTHING can be done by a computer.
It's the human brain and its unique algorithmic analytical power, imagination, ideas and creativity that MAKE that dumb machine DO something productive.

Maybe that's true today.  I wouldn't bet on it in the future:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Pq-S557XQU

DanFromSF wrote:

Maybe that's true today.  I wouldn't bet on it in the future:

Yes research in robotics, sensors, fuzzy logic, artificial intelligence and automation engineering may contribute to that miracle in near future..... A world ruled by the bots!!
Thanks for sharing the video link.

senwl wrote:

Pearl

Perl

senwl wrote:
senwl wrote:

Pearl

Perl

Ah, bringing back the good memories of Pascal, SIMULA, FORTRAN, LISP,... MIX assembly language from the good old Donald Knuth professor, anyone?  :(

I forgot, Senwl, if you want to contact with somebody in CSE or JVN, I will give you the emails or mobile phone. They are my teachers. They studied abroad in many years, and their English is very good, maybe they will give you much more information than me :D.

And I have a appointment with my teacher someday. I want to introduce my colleague with him, she want to study to get PhD degree. He said, he could see me in  August, but this month I was very busy for teaching. Maybe I will see him next month. He is Associate Deal of Faculty (CSE), he knows much infomation than others. If you are in HoChiMinh city at that time, and if you want, you can go with me. Talk to him more, you can know more about this university, and about PhD program. His spoken English is very good, I saw he talked with some foreigners in a conference, I was very surprice :P, because I dont understand what they talk :D.

Anatta wrote:

Ah, bringing back the good memories of Pascal, SIMULA, FORTRAN, LISP,... MIX assembly language from the good old Donald Knuth professor, anyone?  :(

I studied Pascal and LISP. But I hated LISP so much :D. After exam, I forgot it right away :P!

ngattt wrote:

I forgot, Senwl, if you want to contact with somebody in CSE or JVN, I will give you the emails or mobile phone. They are my teachers. They studied abroad in many years, and their English is very good, maybe they will give you much more information than me :D.

And I have a appointment with my teacher someday. I want to introduce my colleague with him, she want to study to get PhD degree. He said, he could see me in  August, but this month I was very busy for teaching. Maybe I will see him next month. He is Associate Deal of Faculty (CSE), he knows much infomation than others. If you are in HoChiMinh city at that time, and if you want, you can go with me. Talk to him more, you can know more about this university, and about PhD program. His spoken English is very good, I saw he talked with some foreigners in a conference, I was very surprice :P, because I dont understand what they talk :D.

You are indeed very kind, Ngattt :) Thank you for your offer of assistance.
I am sure it'd be nice to meet the Asst. Dean (CSE) for detailed information about research etc..

As I am little busy these days with my current assignments, I am afraid, I will not be available in HCM next month. I will try to get in touch with you when I am there later this year, hopefully!
Let me see.

Thanks ngattt, have a nice week ahead.

I studied Pascal and LISP. But I hated LISP so much :D. After exam, I forgot it right away :P!

You are naturally intelligent. You don't need artificial intelligence ^^. That's why you forgot LISP :)

Ok Sen, whenever you go to Saigon, and if you still want to know more about CSE, talk to me. Maybe I can help you something.
Why you dont study in Hanoi? VNU University of Engineering and Technology: http://e.uet.vnu.edu.vn/

BTW, I am sure I always need artificial intelligence, because I reasearch on it :D, kekeke.

senwl wrote:

You are indeed very kind, Ngattt :) Thank you for your offer of assistance.
I am sure it'd be nice to meet the Asst. Dean (CSE) for detailed information about research etc..

As I am little busy these days with my current assignments, I am afraid, I will not be available in HCM next month. I will try to get in touch with you when I am there later this year, hopefully!
Let me see.

Thanks ngattt, have a nice week ahead.

You are naturally intelligent. You don't need artificial intelligence ^^. That's why you forgot LISP :)