Club correos $42 tarriff

netbean wrote:

I plan to ship 2 tablets from china by post office, same model, not excess 4X4, is that OK?

Nobody answered you, Netbean, because nobody can predict what's OK and not OK once a package reaches Ecuador these days.

Meanwhile, to say that the new $42 tariff is off to a slow and halting start would be an understatement.

My sister sent me those three packages on September 16th from New York and they still haven't been delivered to me -- IN DECEMBER!

Club Correos emailed me along the way saying that they're really just for commercial shipping -- implying that the family papers and photos my sister shipped should have been sent in a manner not using the "Club."

The three packages have apparently arrived here in Quito if I am reading the Correos website data correctly.

But as they say, "Por amor a Elvis," it's been 2-and-a-half months....

cccmedia in Quito

cccmedia, thanks your share.
I want to test the post office, but I still not do it. It sounds too slow. I have used Fedex once to send letter from Asia, arrived here about a week. costed $60.

If you're shipping tablets, make sure you get a tracking number from whatever shipper or service you use.

If it is sent by private company courier, i.e. not a government postal service, expect a 42 dollar surcharge.

Before ordering and shipping, best to verify that there are no additional penalties for shipping two devices at one time.  How you verify this, I do not know.

cccmedia in Quito

netbean wrote:

cccmedia, thanks your share.
I want to test the post office, but I still not do it. It sounds too slow.

Yes, Netbean, the Club Correos-Correos del Ecuador system for overseas packages is Too Slow.

As far as I can tell, the system is broken.

It has been three months since my sister mailed family photos and letters from my late mother's estate posted in Westchester County, New York.  None of the three packages that were sent has been delivered.

I paid the new $42 tariff on this shipment at Banco de Guayaquil on November 26th and had an Internet service then scan and send to the Correos-designated email address a copy of the "comprobante" (official bank receipt).  Earlier I had paid at the Correos website for shipping from Miami to Quito.

Not only have they literally failed to deliver, but Ximena Lopes of the Club's Quito office stopped responding to my emails over two weeks ago.

My advice:  avoid subscribing to or dealing with Club Correos.  The concept of customer service is foreign to them.

cccmedia in Quito

cccmedia wrote:

My advice:  avoid subscribing to or dealing with Club Correos.  The concept of customer service is foreign to them.

cccmedia in Quito

It only takes 3 months to ship 18 cubic feet containers, unlimited weight, to the Philippines for $73 shipping, no taxes.
Just fill out the customs papers, can send almost anything.
Here in the USA the shippers pick up the boxes at our house.

A highly-optimistic college professor from Kansas who probably had no clue about EC's fancy tariff system has now been 'schooled' about the realities of Ecuador's postal 'service.'

Read all about it on the thread "Kansas collegians deprived of their Wheaties...."

cccmedia in Quito

Club Correos is history according to an article en EL Tiempo today. I guess the $42 still has applicability however since there are other services besides Club Correos that people use.  This particular service was run by the Ecuadorian post office.  Before the new restrictions were imposed, 1,000 packages a month were arriving to Cuenca via Club Correos. Since the new law, shipments dropped to 10 packages a week.

An English translation of the El Tiempo article about the demise of Club Correos is now available at the Expat.com thread titled "Club Correos Abolished...."

R.I.P., Club Correos.

It would seem that Econcargo has 'taken over' club correos, making it possible to continue the service.  See:
https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?shva= … 630efcbe6a
They say "the same technical platform, just a change of name".
Hope this helps,
Russell Eaton

ServiEntrega is partnering with Miami freight-forwarder Econcargo in what appears to be a Spanish-language operation.

The ESL flavor of the old Correos-Econcargo cabal made it Expat-unfriendly IMO. Also, the Spanish-only, user-unfriendly Econcargo website should be avoided by most non-geeks.

Expats with limited espanol and lack of patience with substandard customer service might look instead to U.S. Global Mail or another English-speaking U.S.-based service with good online recommendations, as opposed to ServiEntrega-Econcargo.

cccmedia in Quito