Looking to meet people and looking for work in Gozo!

Just moved here last week from England I'm 22 and looking to meet people and also looking to find a job!

hey dude, welcome to Malta.
I'm not in gozo sadly but thought i'd let you know of some ways to find a job ...

The https://secure.etc.gov.mt/Jobseeker/Job … earch.aspx etc website gets updated daily (except weekends and public holidays) register add your cv , they will authorise your account and you can apply online for jobs .

Maltapark.com  has a jobs section this is updated daily (except for weekends)

timesofmalta.com  again updated daily  (including weekends)

what kind of work is it your looking for .... ? would you be happy to live in gozo but work in malta etc

rob

Thanks for the info, I have qualifications in IT and I've worked in sales but I'm also pretty open to do other stuff. Ideally I'd like to work in Gozo but I'd definitely consider Malta if there was a good opportunity.

well i hope you find something soon , there seems to be plenty of sales jobs on there, and usually daily it jobs , so your in the right industry .. how long you been in gozo ? are you here with family ?
if you have anyother questions feel free to ask :)

Thanks, I've been here 9 days now, still in holiday mode though ha I need to start properly looking for work soon though.
My friends family have moved here and I've just kind of tagged along to experience something a bit different from life in England.
And thanks will do!

go down and speak to the boat trip sellers in mgarr .. you may find some work just to tide you over .. its long hours though and commison based .. we been here since the end of may , it still feels like a holiday with work lol

Lol yeah I think it will feel like a holiday regardless. Whereabouts are you living?

marsaxlokk , which is south malta , but my husband Matt works in silema , sometimes a bit of a trek but still fun lol

Hi,

If your profession is I.T., you have a lot of opportunities in Malta. But I.T. is a broad term.

Malta is a hub for online gaming (mostly gambling). The video game industry has recently been given great incentives by the Maltese Government (within the past 12 months) for developers to set up operations on the island, and the list of companies operating in Malta is growing all the time. The following link of companies is updated often:

http://gamedev.com.mt/companies.php

QA (game testing/ bug finding/ quality reports etc...) are a good way in for those with general I.T. experience.

I hope that helps, and I hope you are enjoying your time on the beautiful island :)

David

Thanks for the info and yes, lovely so far, just tricky meeting people and finding work in Gozo, seems like everyone is in Malta!

there are quite a few in gozo but from what i have seen on here its generally a place where people go to retire lol ... familys tend to prefer malta ..

haha yes that seems to be the theme, I'm gonna try to give it a go till christmas anyway, hopefully it will all workout and ill find some people that aren't here just to retire

im sure you will and its only 5 euro on the ferry to malta , though once you get your gozo residence card this will be cheaper  and with buses being cheap , you dont have to stay on the island of gozo all the time

Yeah true it's just time consuming I guess. Not as straight forward as meeting people in Gozo

If you, like me live in Xaghra then I suspect you may be in the flat below mine.
Yes, I agree, living on Gozo at your age will make it difficult to find work.
Have you tried the major hotels?
Kempinski (St Lawrenz) Cornucopia (just down the road) St Patrick's (Xlendi) and any others?

no not yet, ill have a look at those, thanks and I live in Qala.

theres a few gozo jobs on etc website today :)

LOL I'm sorry for you but if your finding a job you are in the wrong country

IlMalti wrote:

LOL I'm sorry for you but if your finding a job you are in the wrong country

do you have anything helpful to add or are you just  planning on being rude

I only said the truth there's nothing rude in that

IlMalti wrote:

I only said the truth there's nothing rude in that

OK then, define 'truth'.

I understand what you are saying and to a point I would agree, Gozo struggles to employ its own let alone 'visitors'. Many Gozitans go to great lengths to find employment and spend many hours commuting to places of employment. It will not be easy to find work on the island, especially if one is an 'alien'.

But you cannot say you are stating 'the truth', only your opinion, based upon your perceptions formed by your observations and interpretations.  :)

Hi Rob,

You have given me good advice before and thanks for the link to the jobs  Our house in York is on the market tomorrow and if all goes well, we could be looking to come and live ( buy/rent) in the New year. As a social worker, any interest in childcare may be interesting, but failing that I am game for most part time work !

My wife and I are in Malta from 4th October, not a holiday but got lots of appointments with estate agents re purchasing property. Hope to catch up whilst we are there .

Carl

hey , yes im sure we can arrange something :) hope all goes well with the selling of your own property .. only thing i would say is don't rush into buying anything over here , look to rent for a year or so first, you dont want to be stuck in an area that turns out to be different from what you though it was :)

Thanks Rob, as usual good advice ! My wife needs to be reigned in regarding buying and I keep mentioning the comments made on here by other bloggers so let's see what happens .

To be fair we have a quiet part of St Paul's / Qawra already in mind as know the Northern part of the Island very well and want to put down roots there .

Anyway let's see how the house sale goes 'cos it's going to be funding our new life in Malta !

Carl