Reality check on unemployment

Hello everyone! I know someone planning on moving to Barcelona in hopes of finding a job as a chef. I understand that the unemployment rate is at a record high but I don't think my friend understands the extremity. I recently read an article that the unemployment rate dropped, so I am wondering if that decrease has made an effect on the unemployed. Also, is Barcelona's unemployment rate just as bad as other parts of Spain?

Hi, Turco1! Spain's national unemployment HAS dropped, but not by much. It's not as bad in Madrid and Catalonia, however. Some people attribute the drop to the number of people no longer receiving unemployment benefits and so they're no longer counted. If your friend speaks Catalonian - or at least Spanish - he may have a shot IF he's very well known, has a great resumeé, and can land a spot at one of the many higher-end places. He's not likely to be OFFERED a work visa, however, as there are so darn many chefs in Spain AND in Europe whom can work in Spain legally without any additional paperwork or application fees.

Saludos, MadridMan

Thanks, MadridManSpain, for the quick response!! His understanding of Catalonian language and spanish is okay but definitely not perfect. He just graduated culinary school in June of this year so he has just a few months of experience on his resume. I informed him of the visa requirements but his care-free ways also understands that a lot of restaurant work in Spain is done illegally. I feel like that is so wrong but I know he wants to take the risk. I just am worried that he doesn't know what he really is getting himself into. :-/