Importing motorbike under 125cc from Thailand into Vietnam

Hey everybody!
I've got into a situation.. Now need to move out of Thailand, and I think that the best place for me will be nowdays Vietnam)

So I need to import my motorbike Honda Pcx 124cc..
Too many modifications made already and I care much about it to just leave it in Thai.

Maybe somebody do know about all the process importing a bike like this?
I've got all needed documents for sending out of Thai this motorbike, and all doc's saying about the owner is me..
What else needed?

I suggest you just forget the feelings and buy one from here  :)
Or if you really want, you should spent too much for that.

:( sorry, but another way?
With "lots of money"?

How to do that?

I spent already too much to just forget about it :)

STN: Sell your bike in Thailand. Then take the money from that + all the money it'll cost you to bribe VN customs + pay the import tax anyway, and use it to buy another PCX and customize it here.  You're wasting your time, energy, and good money trying to bring that bike into Vietnam.

Now I've got no time, and no buyiers for my bike in here..
Maybe somebody have contacts of an organisation who can do that for me?
I meen to legal my bike in Vietnam?

I need to know about: how much the import tax? How much are custom payments? And which payments more?

No Time!!!! always cost a lot of money. Motors (cars, bikes) have strong import requirements like max age and carry easy  up to 150% on taxes on it and for customs clearances you might wait easy 6 month or even longer and pay storage costs for that time.

I personally would also consider, leaving it, where it is

Ok, it's 3 years old (not old one, not an old model)
It's small - only 125cc engine
I buy it in Thai used a year ago with 1100 USD..

And now I'm looking for any advice excluding selling in thai or just leaveing it there)

STN wrote:

Ok, it's 3 years old (not old one, not an old model)
It's small - only 125cc engine
I buy it in Thai used a year ago with 1100 USD..

And now I'm looking for any advice excluding selling in thai or just leaveing it there)

You're getting advice.  We're all telling you it's going to cost you more than the bike is worth to get it into VN. You'll probably come out ahead if you just GIVE the bike away before you leave Thailand, then buy another one here.  The import tax is that bad here. And that's IF VN customs will even let you bring a used bike into VN.  But feel free not to take our word for it. Go on some other expat forums and ask there also. Also do some Googling. With a little more research you should find your answers.

For a start, even if you cross the Cambodian border you will need a licence (swap) to drive it - or sling it on top of a bus.

Then you will likely have to leave it in Customs at the VN border whilst you travel to HCM to clear the Customs and Register it. Unless you have a long-term Residency Permit, you will need a friend to register it for you. That means, technically, you are importing and 'selling' it (on paper) to the Registrant which attracts extra VAT (Import Duty+VAT [for you] + VAT [for Registrant]).

Not easy.

Thanks!
Please don't undersatand me the wrong way..
I am saying that I cannot leave it there -i have got reason for that..
Everybody say only that I should leave or sell..

But. Now I already made documents for sending this my bike to Vietnam, already removed plate number thai, and give it to organization for send to Vietnam :|
No have the Back way :)

And I asked about some organisations that can help with proceeding..
Now need only this..
If somebody was in my situation he'll understand..
And with visa's policy of thai, I think now lots of people will change their country of living to VN :)
This topic will be helpfull for them also ;)

P.s. if I'll do that what I want, and register my pcx in VN, will create new topic, and write down the full algorythm of how to do same

Not easy, fully agree :top:
Thank You much for that!
All the info I could find in ukrainian and etc. forums before had nothing about my situation, that's why now I have so many questions :huh:
I have already permission for living in VN, driving licence will get, or translate mine..
One last thing I have to do is to wait untill my bike will come by ship to HCM port..

Anyway, thank you, Jaitch!  :top:

Jaitch wrote:

For a start, even if you cross the Cambodian border you will need a licence (swap) to drive it - or sling it on top of a bus.
Then you will likely have to leave it in Customs at the VN border whilst you travel to HCM to clear the Customs and Register it. Unless you have a long-term Residency Permit, you will need a friend to register it for you. That means, technically, you are importing and 'selling' it (on paper) to the Registrant which attracts extra VAT (Import Duty+VAT [for you] + VAT [for Registrant]).

Not easy.

STN wrote:

And I asked about some organisations that can help with proceeding.

There are some Thai tour companies that organise vehicle tours from Thailand to VietNam by road. They know the ins and outs of VN Customs.

But anyone importing a vehicle has to keep it at the border, Chau Doc, then make a bus trip to HCM for the paperwork.

Contact the BKK Vietnamese Embassy - they might be able to help. That's the EMBASSY, not the visa section. What will your status in VN be - tourist or Resident? You have to have one year Residency left on a visa before you can bring stuff in.

Motorcycle regulations have just changed recently and everyone is still learning the complications.

Thank you so much again!
Yes, when I was in Thai I spoke with VN embassy in BKK about it, they said that can do that but, need to find some local organisation and bring them a bike, after will be easyer..
I've got business visa for 1 year.. now) after longer :D

Hi,

Sorry I feel messed up a bit.

As I know VN has forbidden imported bikes for years no matter if they're old or new.

As I know from a Vietkieu, he could import  his car. He told me he could do that cos VN has a policy which rules if a man wants to live in VN, they are allowed to import only one thing from their country to VN. I don't know if this rule is applied for Vietkieu or even any foreigners?

Regards

Ps: You have to make everything legal if not, you will run around to register for your bikes and even your bike will be captured by policemen!

Im in the same situation, with two bikes in Malaysia, and would SURE love to import them but i can see it wont work. Damn :(

If STN is still reading, YES you have a buyer for your bike--either sell it outright to a shop, or leave it with a shop to sell for you and send you the money later. I know it would be really difficult to find a private buyer on short notice, so take the loss and sell to a shop, they will buy for cash. Go now to a Honda dealer and make your deal.

Thailand, and ASEAN is following, is making it difficult or impossible for foreigners to stay. I know why STN would have to leave now and im going into the same boat. If I move to VN, i have to take not only two newer bikes but a whole life built up life over 15 years and pitch it in the trash. Unbelievable.