Police Attitude towards foreigners

Hye guy I was just curious about  the attitude of Police with foreigners. I mean do they bother foreigners walking down the street and check their passports or visa for no reason. I even heard that Police just come s straight to the house and knock at the door to check the documents out of nowhere. Maybe i heard wrong but I just wanted to check. Do they purposely bother foreigners or the foreigners who are non white?

They're not going to bother you walking the street, unless they have cause. As far as coming to your home, if you're living with a national you're not married too, they might. Especially if you're living outside a common expat district.

Hye thanks mate . So let me get this straight. If I stay un an expat area and my girl isnt a vietnamese then it wouldn't be any problem?

There's no grounds for them to question you being with a non-citizen, but even if your girl is VN, you won't have a problem.  You may have to flip them a few dong to go away, but if you have a VN girlfriend, she probably knows how to get rid of them (e.g., by telling them you're her fiance, etc.).

DanFromSF wrote:

There's no grounds for them to question you being with a non-citizen...

Actually there is a national law that prohibits VN citizens living common law. The law is simply not enforced BUT it remains for use should they care to enforce it. It is still enforced in smaller centres.

Some hotels enforce the law, but generally they are trying to sell an extra room rather than enforce morals.
-------

I was just curious about  the attitude of Police with foreigners.

VN has many types of 'police', much of the confusion arising from their use of a baggy, ill-fitting, olive green uniform. They are members of the military should the need arise.

They are also underpaid, by any standard, and are the various levels of government's 'dogs bodies'.

Back in the day, they had the respect of the public but two things have changed. (1) They are underpaid and resort to 'donations' to supplement their incomes. (They are also restricted to a limit of two children and to whom they may marry) (2) Many Vietnamese don't show them respect'.

The uniform is common between Cong An (Peoples Police), Firemen, Municipal Bye-law Enforcement,  Crane Inspection, Environment, etc. There are subtle differences such as the red collar 'flash' is used by police but not grunt fire-fighters. Police also carry guns.

Some larger cities do provide different uniforms for some functions.

Traffic police have different coloured uniforms, as do the vehicle standards police.

Then the police have a sub-set of 'thugs', ill-trained, dressed in fatigues and carrying wooden clubs.

Then they also have their very own security (warm body) guards.

I mean do they bother foreigners walking down the street and check their passports or visa for no reason.

Not in my experience.

I even heard that Police just come s straight to the house and knock at the door to check the documents out of nowhere.

Yes, these are usually the 'Municipal Bye-Law' type of police who deliver documents, ensure occupancy compliance (are occupants registered), noise complaints. They routinely 'check documents' in some locations.

Most of the 'visits' are not 'out of nowhere', something or someone triggers a visit.

Lack of Respect
Older Cong An I know socially complain about the lack of respect. They attribute a lot of this to the aggressive way younger police seek bribes or involuntary payments.

Government employee pay is low. Four or five years ago there was a mandated 13% increase in pay for the whole of the population EXCEPT for government employees! I visit two Cong An officers homes socially and I can tell you they do not exhibit wealth, wealth that you would expect from someone on the 'make'. Worn out furniture, children dressed in cheap clothing, etc.

As long as government employees **need** 'income assistance', they will not gain the respect of the public. Even in authoritarian countries the police need the support of the public.

Additionally, today's youth - and that is about 50% of VN population - have no fear of the Cong An and just carry on as they wish to. In VN many people don't follow the road rules, or safety regulations. If Chinese youth tried the same tricks they would be quickly arrested.

Interaction With Foreigners
Foreigners are a pain in the Cong An's a*se. First of all they don't speak Vietnamese and most police don't speak English - which makes interaction difficult. In TP HCM most police stations are now equipped with InterNet and laptop computers and Google Translate is getting heavy use.

Another cause for resentment is that Foreigners have money, and this can cause problems as they can afford resources Vietnamese can't.

The biggest cause for resentment is the use of the word 'WHY?'. Vietnamese don't often challenge the police by asking Why? Foreigners are used to questioning dumb police commands/requests - and not usually being penalised for it.

The police know that Foreigners know how to drive properly and when they treat the roads of VietNam like a 'dodge 'em' ride at a fairground, they get mad. And when the police say to a Foreigner 'đi, đi' (go, go) at a traffic stop it makes Vietnamese drivers resentful.

Overall Foreigner/police interaction is far less here than you would experience in Canada, the UK or the USA.

You forgot to add nosey neighbors. The majority of people, that I know of, who had a problems with police checking in on them (in their homes) was due to a neighbor calling to complain to the police. I'm talking about when a foreigner is cohabitating with a national.

Sometimes, when I'm driving in Xa lo Ha Noi road, a traffic police forced me stop my motobike (it's hard for me to write this :(, hic). He checks my driver's lience, some documents, even my ID card (they dont have a right to check ID card). While talking, I observed him, he smiled and let me go :(.
Omg, at least 2 times, I must stop and discuss with them some minutes, and they let me go!
Women or younger people are easy to stop.

One day, I and my friend and my English teacher are driving. A police forced us stop. And my English teacher (Indian) dont have any documents, my friend talked to the police: "he is a foreigner, why you stop him?". At that time, I dont understand, why the police shouldnt stop a foreigner :D? Some seconds, I thought, my friend meant foreigner is guest, everyone should treat well (politely) with them :D. My English teacher said "Ok, I'm sorry, I'm sorry". The police let him go!

But, if I were the police, I would punish him because he didnt bring any documents :D.

hi.. as per Law enforcement ..  Hotels should register ID of Foreigners to immigration police once they check-in .. if you are staying at local's place -- she/he should inform local police about your stay..

it never happens that they ask your documents while you are walking down the street .. during countryside travels you might get a situation where they can ask your documents just for verification.. but they never bother unnecessarily...

foreigners who are on temporary residency should carry TR paper with them that's enough ..

QuynnTr wrote:
ngattt wrote:

Sometimes, when I'm driving in Xa lo Ha Noi road, a traffic police forced me stop my motobike (it's hard for me to write this :(, hic). He checks my driver's lience, some documents, even my ID card (they dont have a right to check ID card). While talking, I observed him, he smiled and let me go :(.

I think you should know this, its the LAW: traffic police has no right to stop you to check any thing, even id card.. if you do nothing wrong.
The first thing you should do after they stop you is ask what is your fault, if you argree then show them your papers. And if you made a fault ofcourse they have right to check your id card, double-check with your lisence.
I think this is very common thing, everybody should know.

Adhome01 wrote:

You forgot to add nosey neighbors...

Making friends with nosey neighbours, and giving them gifts of fruit, is a great way to increase the security around your house/apartment

Mukii wrote:

And my English teacher (Indian) dont have any documents, my friend talked to the police: "he is a foreigner, why you stop him?".

Foreigners aren't required to carry documentation such as passport or visa on the person when inside VietNam. That's the word from the Internal Police.

Omar Salim wrote:

Hye guy I was just curious about  the attitude of Police with foreigners. I mean do they bother foreigners walking down the street and check their passports or visa for no reason. I even heard that Police just come s straight to the house and knock at the door to check the documents out of nowhere. Maybe i heard wrong but I just wanted to check. Do they purposely bother foreigners or the foreigners who are non white?

Hi

What is your purpose when you ask this?

What if they bother you, it is normal. You have to give money insides some necessary papers. cant fight against

If they don't bother you, it will be a normal day.

QuynnTr wrote:

I think you should know this, its the LAW: traffic police has no right to stop you to check any thing, even id card.. if you do nothing wrong.
The first thing you should do after they stop you is ask what is your fault, if you argree then show them your papers. And if you made a fault ofcourse they have right to check your id card, double-check with your lisence.
I think this is very common thing, everybody should know.

Yes, I know, QuynnTr! Thank you!

I always ask "What is my fault". He said: "When you turn right, you must turn on the signal light (or taillight?)."
"Yes, I did"... He: "And this road is not straight (curve, a little), you must turn light on until here" (about 50m, hic).
I always try not to argue with someone, especially, police men :D. He knew he was wrong, and if I insist that I am right, maybe I must spend much time to argue with him :D. That's why I gave him all my documentation I have. And, he will let me go immediately with a smile :D.

Jaitch wrote:

Foreigners aren't required to carry documentation such as passport or visa on the person when inside VietNam. That's the word from the Internal Police.

Jaitch, if you drive motobike, you must carry driving license? In my story, my teacher drove by himself and the motobike is not his own.

Omar Salim wrote:

Do they purposely bother foreigners or the foreigners who are non white?

This is the 3rd time I tell you to stop with your "white vs non-white" threads.

What have I promised you last time you tried to start a racial flame on the forum ? (here)

Should I close your account straight away ?

If you are living in Vietnam legally, and you are not a criminal, according to the laws of the country, then you have no problem :-)
If you have girlfriend who live with you, just tell them that you are going to marry next month  :)
--------------------------------
Guys!
If you don't know the rules and law, jusr spend some time for that. Ignorance of law is not excusable :-)
Traffic police has the right to verify your national ID :-)
That is their duty, just allow them and pay the fine if you do something unlawful!
How can they know that the motorbike you driven is not stolen property?:-)

If you  have all documents they aksed but keep at home? Don't worry, you have the right to submit it later but they will take your vehicle in to custody and  will return back when you show all papers :-)

ngattt wrote:
Jaitch wrote:

Jaitch, if you drive motobike, you must carry driving license? In my story, my teacher drove by himself and the motobike is not his own.

Note the words 'Passport' and 'Visa'

I am not trying to do that . All I am doing is asking for the actual facts. Try living in Malaysia. You will know. I apologise if u took it the wrong way but after being a victim a million times ...........it just becomes a fact.  Anyway sorry.

Omar Salim wrote:

All I am doing is asking for the actual facts. Try living in Malaysia. You will know. I apologise if u took it the wrong way but after being a victim a million times ..

Put it this way, the Cong An aren't colour blind.

The immigration procedures for 'undesirable' countries are far different from those for Malaysians, which is part of ASEAN. VN lets ASEAN citizens in visa free for at least two weeks. One  'undesirable' country is African and another Asian.

I truly appreciate all my brothers here who  helped me by giving my vital info. Ot would ve an honor for me to live and explore vietnam. I am planning to move there in december and I hope to make new friends and enjoy this lovely city.

Jaitch wrote:
DanFromSF wrote:

There's no grounds for them to question you being with a non-citizen...

Actually there is a national law that prohibits VN citizens living common law. The law is simply not enforced BUT it remains for use should they care to enforce it. It is still enforced in smaller centres.

Some hotels enforce the law, but generally they are trying to sell an extra room rather than enforce morals.
-

Yep, I'm aware.  That's why I said non-citizen. ;)

Overall Foreigner/police interaction is far less here than you would experience in Canada, the UK or the USA.

100% agree with that.

Never a problem with the police, never a stop a serch. The only time you might get a problem is just before the new year, when i noticed the police stop many people driving cars, bikes, and they are looking for some money for the new year. They will tell you that your speeding, and its going to cost you X amount , then offer them half of what they say, and everyone is happy.

Its also illegal in some parts of Australia to walk down the street in pjamas after dark,a law that is never enforced due to it being out of date.Its also illegal to use the horn excessively in Viet Nam but nobody seems to enforce it. Overall you wont have too many problems,apart from nosey neighbours.

colinoscapee wrote:

Its also illegal to use the horn excessively in Viet Nam but nobody seems to enforce it.

Hospitals are quiet zones (no horns) and signed with a musical trumpet with a red line through it.

There is also a 'quiet zone' all over between 22.30H (or 23.00H) and 05.30H. It's in the Road Traffic Law.

Jaitch wrote:
colinoscapee wrote:

Its also illegal to use the horn excessively in Viet Nam but nobody seems to enforce it.

Hospitals are quiet zones (no horns) and signed with a musical trumpet with a red line through it.

There is also a 'quiet zone' all over between 22.30H (or 23.00H) and 05.30H. It's in the Road Traffic Law.

Didnt stop the concrete trucks on Khanh Hoi street District 4 where I used to live. Police are usually asleep by 9pm so who is going to enforce it.

just from personal experience, I have found the cops polite, helpful and even friendly, eg: I came back fro the water puppet theater 1 night, stopped at a food place,drinking a beer on my own, lady at next table turns and asks 2 ??, next she turns again , please come sit with us, ended up a great night for all her brother is captain younger 1 is detective  2 other guy are also cops. We were all so pi--ed ,I'm surprised I found my way home. Mott hai ba  yooooo Hic moral of the story, don't be a pain and you won't get any( pain)

Well thats great. Do u stay in hanoi mate?

Once, I forgot turn on the light when I was driving on the street.
The police stopped me. He said: you dont bring any documents: 70.000vnd, dont have insurance: 70.000, dont turn on the light: 70.000. At that time, I didnt know anything and didnt talk anything to him, just gave him 500.000. Finally, he returned me 430.000.

Maybe he want to laugh aloud when he saw my face :D, I was scary. And he didnt got all money, just a little :D. I never hate them. I always want to see them in the street, because if they are there, people will abide by the traffic rules better, especially truck drivers - I hate these guys (most of them). My university in the highway, sometimes there is traffic jam because of some truck drivers, they never stop when seeing red light. Ghét! Hừm!  :mad:

colinoscapee wrote:
Jaitch wrote:
colinoscapee wrote:

Didnt stop the concrete trucks on Khanh Hoi street District 4 where I used to live. Police are usually asleep by 9pm so who is going to enforce it.

http://www.initialdescent.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/IST-No-Horn.jpg

I thought this sign meant no live brass band or funeral tunes.

Because my ears told me it sure didn't mean no honking of horns.
Oh,I digress. Back on the OP's question.

If I was out in a major VN city early morning and I decided it was time to drive home.
I would turn my lights off, fill plastic bags full of vegetables/rice/beer and put them all over the back of my bike.
Then I would break my muffler so it sounds like a tractor.
And drive home as fast as possible.

Get home without an officer in sight.......
http://sobadsogood.com/uploads/media/2014/03/09/xOverloaded-Vietnamese-Motorbikes-That-Defy-Logic-by-Photographer-Hans-Kemp-4.jpg.pagespeed.ic.e20FPceXkL.jpg