Malta is Not UK and stop comparing........Stop trying to Change Malta

Too many people especially from the UK keep on comparing Malta to UK its not, things are different - mostly better, that being the reason many people come to live in Malta.   
And yes many jobs are for Maltese, that's the way it is, nothing you can do about it and don't think as you only read info from "The Times of Malta" that's its correct,

I agree that malta isnt the uk ,
However i would like to think that if a job requires you to have maltese they could at least put it in the advert as its rather annoying , submitting cv , going for an interview and then finding out you didnt get the job because they were looking for a maltese speaker ...
i would happily learn maltese mind

malta is always going to change , the same as any country does, with outside influences like the EU and also from inside like when the labour govt took over , you cant prevent change you just have to ride with it and hope things dont change too drastically that it makes your life unbearable

btw aren't you living in sydney .... rofl

exactly - malta needs to change - simple as - and i wouldnt say it was better just different - lots of people come and go - for their own reasons - one mans heaven is another mans hell.....just like every other country - including oz and uk.

most people find an acceptable balance - if you cant   - then try to change what needs changing  - if that cant happen  - move..

many people come to Malta for a better life then realise its not what they thought and then leave. some of course do succeed - mainly those who have done their research properly and work at it, those who dont...well they find it hard to survive and then ultimately leave

robpw2 wrote:

However i would like to think that if a job requires you to have maltese they could at least put it in the advert as its rather annoying , submitting cv , going for an interview and then finding out you didnt get the job because they were looking for a maltese speaker ...

malta is always going to change , the same as any country does, with outside influences like the EU and also from inside like when the labour govt took over , you cant prevent change you just have to ride with it and hope things dont change too drastically that it makes your life unbearable

I applied for a job (Many) when I lived in the UK, only applied by phone gave my name and address, got a reply back a few weeks later, "sorry your unsuitable for the Job" I only gave my name ( Maltese Surname) at least in Malta you got to the interview stage...... Just the Maltese are way too polite and used a Nice excuse to let you down....

robpw2 wrote:

btw aren't you living in sydney .... rofl

And?

toonarmy9752 wrote:

exactly - malta needs to change - simple as - and i wouldnt say it was better just different - lots of people come and go - for their own reasons - one mans heaven is another mans hell.....just like every other country - including oz and uk.

most people find an acceptable balance - if you cant   - then try to change what needs changing  - if that cant happen  - move..

many people come to Malta for a better life then realise its not what they thought and then leave. some of course do succeed - mainly those who have done their research properly and work at it, those who dont...well they find it hard to survive and then ultimately leave

Agreed and thanks to the EU Malta is finally doing away with the inherited colonial Civil Service, the EU has done much good, only recently when  I renewed my Maltese Passport, Efficiency - got the passport with in a few days, No need for Endless forms, photos etc, likewise ID card etc,  Maybe I'm currently in Australia ( like another 500000 plus Maltese) Makes no difference the Maltese Government IT dept works well. ( and yes I'm still entitled to my ID card, which is not like a Residence card other nationals must have, ID number stays with me from birth, if you ever wondered my Maltese national have M/L after their number) 
The problems is the Brits are always wanting to change things to their way , with the common words " wouldn't happen like that in England.........

Maltese by Birth wrote:
robpw2 wrote:

I applied for a job (Many) when I lived in the UK, only applied by phone gave my name and address, got a reply back a few weeks later, "sorry your unsuitable for the Job" I only gave my name ( Maltese Surname) at least in Malta you got to the interview stage...... Just the Maltese are way too polite and used a Nice excuse to let you down....

this was the first actual response to my cv from anyone , i wouldnt say they were polite and nice excuse or not i would rather he ddint waste my time or his for that matter

efficient and Malta in the same sentence ---- hmmm i dont think so.

and having an e-residence card is not a must.... its an administrative requirement nothing more..... freedom of movement within the EU changed all that...

robpw2 wrote:
Maltese by Birth wrote:
robpw2 wrote:

this was the first actual response to my cv from anyone , i wouldnt say they were polite and nice excuse or not i would rather he ddint waste my time or his for that matter

And the response to a job application in the UK is better!, lucky to even get a reply, unless you have a skill set in high demand,forget it, believe me a lot of Maltese leave Malta as the jobs are limited unless you have family or political connections in the right place you wont get the job, and voting Blue (PN) in certain times won't help, likewise voting Red (PL), so any good job will go to Maltese first.

toonarmy9752 wrote:

and having an e-residence card is not a must.... its an administrative requirement nothing more..... freedom of movement within the EU chnaged all that...

Yes the IT Maltese Government has become very efficient, but as you don;t count ( Politically )  where the rush to process your Residence status....................

Maltese by Birth wrote:
toonarmy9752 wrote:

and having an e-residence card is not a must.... its an administrative requirement nothing more..... freedom of movement within the EU chnaged all that...

Yes the IT Maltese Government has become very efficient, but as you don;t count ( Politically )  where the rush to process your Residence status....................

as i have said it really doesnt matter anymore...it doesnt for me anyway... and never did .....whether we count or not  - its an unnecessary administrative function for EU Nationals - only serves immigration purposes....thats another story as we know...

toonarmy9752 wrote:
Maltese by Birth wrote:
toonarmy9752 wrote:

as i have said it really doesnt matter anymore...it doesnt for me anyway... and never did .....whether we count or not  - its an unnecessary administrative function for EU Nationals - only serves immigration purposes....thats another story as we know...

Agreed, I was under the impression that many UK people living in Cyprus was moving to Malta, has it gone the other way around now? BTW been to Paphos many times as well as other places in Cyprus, In many respects Cyprus is what Malta was and has still retained many of its old charms,,,,,,,,, Malta is a building site, as a Yank friend of mine once said " nice when its finished"

Myself and my wife have been to Malta twice. And we wish to live there in the foreseeable future. We are from the UK also.....

I'll admit, I didn't want to come on that first holiday, for my own reasons. Having been to Malta twice now, and traveled the island a lot, I can say me, and my wife, are in love with Malta.

Jobs? - well, most of us can find a way to make a living. If the priority is for Maltese nationals, that's okay, and how it should be.

Malta may be a bit of a building site, and I see that, but it's also a small island, in the middle of a great blue sea, My wife loves the fact that she could live there, and at the end of a work shift, I will give her a packed lunch I handmade that day, grab a cheapo box of wine, and swim in the harbor watching the sunset.......

Malta is a beautiful island, The people are warm and friendly (from our experience), The fresh produce is delicious, the crime rate is almost non existent......we are from Birmingham, uk, and have lived in a few countries....Malta, we feel, is our home. Can't wait to be there and be a part of a wonderful island full of charm and character

drael wrote:

Myself and my wife have been to Malta twice. And we wish to live there in the foreseeable future. We are from the UK also.....

I'll admit, I didn't want to come on that first holiday, for my own reasons. Having been to Malta twice now, and traveled the island a lot, I can say me, and my wife, are in love with Malta.

Jobs? - well, most of us can find a way to make a living. If the priority is for Maltese nationals, that's okay, and how it should be.

Malta may be a bit of a building site, and I see that, but it's also a small island, in the middle of a great blue sea, My wife loves the fact that she could live there, and at the end of a work shift, I will give her a packed lunch I handmade that day, grab a cheapo box of wine, and swim in the harbor watching the sunset.......

Malta is a beautiful island, The people are warm and friendly (from our experience), The fresh produce is delicious, the crime rate is almost non existent......we are from Birmingham, uk, and have lived in a few countries....Malta, we feel, is our home. Can't wait to be there and be a part of a wonderful island full of charm and character

i love this , it describes pretty much why i love malta

Maltese by Birth wrote:

and yes I'm still entitled to my ID card.

you, as a Maltese citizen,  are entitled to an ID number, but not an ID card unless you are resident in Malta

toonarmy9752 wrote:

and having an e-residence card is not a must...

its a legal requirement, backed by EU law - the way its done doesn't comply with EU law (expiry date, time taken to issue etc), but its existence is legal

Hi toon,

please do not confuse forum members over the e-residence card. It is a legal requirement in many EU countries like Germany,Spain, Malta and , surprise , the UK . If you have a non-EU spose or partner you require it in the UK as well !.

When you state : the Freedom of Movement Act has changed all that ... it is your personal opinion but still not correct -)))

How,where and when you will receive it may differ.

Cheers
Ricky

funnily enough, I find the main culprits for comparing UK to Malta are not the foreigners, but the Maltese themselves. The number of times I see in forums or in the print media "but in the UK..." written by Maltese

georgeingozo wrote:

funnily enough, I find the main culprits for comparing UK to Malta are not the foreigners, but the Maltese themselves. The number of times I see in forums or in the print media "but in the UK..." written by Maltese

Agree :) On top of that, the Maltese can go out of their way to help you compare here with the UK....It's not that long ago, that the 'L' in Lira was carefully drawn like the pound sign so that it would look cheaper then UK prices!

ricky wrote:

Hi toon,

please do not confuse forum members over the e-residence card. It is a legal requirement in many EU countries like Germany,Spain, Malta and , surprise , the UK . If you have a non-EU spose or partner you require it in the UK as well !.

When you state : the Freedom of Movement Act has changed all that ... it is your personal opinion but still not correct -)))

How,where and when you will receive it may differ.

Cheers
Ricky

thats as maybe Ricky - there is no confusion - tell both sides ricky not just the one you wish to promote - legal or otherwise they cannot force anyone to have one - but we will beg to differ - and agree to disagree.

Maltese by Birth wrote:

Agreed and thanks to the EU Malta is finally doing away with the inherited colonial Civil Service, the EU has done much good, only recently when  I renewed my Maltese Passport, Efficiency - got the passport with in a few days, No need for Endless forms, photos etc, likewise ID card etc,  Maybe I'm currently in Australia ( like another 500000 plus Maltese) Makes no difference the Maltese Government IT dept works well. ( and yes I'm still entitled to my ID card, which is not like a Residence card other nationals must have, ID number stays with me from birth, if you ever wondered my Maltese national have M/L after their number) 
The problems is the Brits are always wanting to change things to their way , with the common words " wouldn't happen like that in England.........

"According to the 2011 Census, there were 163,990 people of Maltese descent in Australia and 41,274 Malta-born people residing in the country at the moment of the census, having a fall of 5.6 per cent compared to the 2006 Census". (c) Wiki

I treat anyone who fabricates Statistics/Information  (to this degree) for their own personal agenda with the complete b0llox it deserves - nothing written before or after is credible in my view. If I were not as cynical as others make me out to be I would suggest this was just a 'trolling' post........and a very poor one at that.

Nothing to see here...............moving along.

MikeInPoulton wrote:
Maltese by Birth wrote:

"According to the 2011 Census, there were 163,990 people of Maltese descent in Australia and 41,274 Malta-born people residing in the country at the moment of the census, having a fall of 5.6 per cent compared to the 2006 Census". (c) Wiki

I treat anyone who fabricates Statistics/Information  (to this degree) for their own personal agenda with the complete b0llox it deserves - nothing written before or after is credible in my view. If I were not as cynical as others make me out to be I would suggest this was just a 'trolling' post........and a very poor one at that.

Nothing to see here...............moving along.

So now your saying that my view IS b0llox  what you quoted a sum that I may be incorrect about, what mistakes can';t happen,

So I did not quote official Australian figures, its been widely excepted that there is more people in Australia of Maltese decent than in Malta, and that's official Maltese Government figures, so no need for you to try to and mock me.
This it appears is all that is happening here, someone has a different view and you all come out with guns blazing like the UK Navy to try and knock the other person down, just because we here in Australia of Maltese decent like to say our views, and it does not agree with yours, you all come out trying to knock holes in us.

Carry on like this and all you will have is people like yourself s quoting from "The Times of Malta" only.

georgeingozo wrote:
Maltese by Birth wrote:

you, as a Maltese citizen,  are entitled to an ID number, but not an ID card unless you are resident in Malta

Times of Malta again................

It's not a case of being entitled to an ID number as I'm a Maltese Citizen, its that the Id number is generated from Birth or publication of Birth Certificate, as the number will never change, unlike the legal requirement for all non- Maltese who want to be resident to have an ID card (quote) and their ID number is not linked to birth,

coxf0001 wrote:
georgeingozo wrote:

Agree :) On top of that, the Maltese can go out of their way to help you compare here with the UK....It's not that long ago, that the 'L' in Lira was carefully drawn like the pound sign so that it would look cheaper then UK prices!

The Maltese ( the older generation) love engaging is useless conversation with mainly English people and they love comparing and saying how things are, mainly to make you fee; sorry for them, my parents was the same, now the younger generation is taking over , all this endless comparing with UK is stopping, can just got to Sicily, no need for UK any more, shame the steering wheel don't move the the other side, than there will be no need to buy any more cars from UK,

are you planning to come back to live in malta ...?
you make some generallising statements about people in malta yet your not in malta ....it would appear to me is your board in the school holidays and just want to stir up trouble .

If you dont like the way malta is ..no one is forcing you to live here .... (oh hang on your in sydney )

Maltese by Birth wrote:
georgeingozo wrote:
Maltese by Birth wrote:

It's not a case of being entitled to an ID number as I'm a Maltese Citizen, its that the Id number is generated from Birth or publication of Birth Certificate, as the number will never change, unlike the legal requirement for all non- Maltese who want to be resident to have an ID card (quote) and their ID number is not linked to birth,

so you are agreeing with me then that you are not entitled to a Maltese ID card as you are not resident ??

In all the kerfuffle over the resident v non-resident pricing on the buses, the government made it clear that Maltese citizens not resident in Malta are not entitled to a Maltese ID card.

Maltese by Birth wrote:

unlike the legal requirement for all non- Maltese who want to be resident to have an ID card (quote) ,

non Maltese residents are no longer issued ID cards, but eResidence cards, as the EU informed Malta it was illegal to issue ID cards to foreigners

robpw2 wrote:

are you planning to come back to live in malta ...?
you make some generallising statements about people in malta yet your not in malta ....it would appear to me is your board in the school holidays and just want to stir up trouble .

If you dont like the way malta is ..no one is forcing you to live here .... (oh hang on your in sydney )

I love Malta and have never Said I don't like the way it is, so who's forcing who to live In Malta, I said stop comparing and trying to change the way Malta is.. And who's bored, your the one that is the housewife and don't work, seems to me your the one that's bored.

don't worry about me not being in Malta this minute, as I will be shortly and spend a lot of time in Malta, so again stop trying to say as I'm not in Malta now I should not be commenting or expressing my views.
What only your view counts as your in Malta this minute.

georgeingozo wrote:
Maltese by Birth wrote:
georgeingozo wrote:

so you are agreeing with me then that you are not entitled to a Maltese ID card as you are not resident ??

In all the kerfuffle over the resident v non-resident pricing on the buses, the government made it clear that Maltese citizens not resident in Malta are not entitled to a Maltese ID card.

I was never asked to show my ID card to obtain cheaper bus fares,

FYI, I have my ID card, makes no difference being resident or not and even if its expired, its still valid  - unlike your residency card - which when expired becomes invalid, . 

Keep thinking you know it all........ from "The Times of Malta"

What I have noticed is that all you want is to pretend only your views and comments matter, your are looking to poke holes in other peoples views and comments if it disagree's with your, how many time's have you done this? and especially from Maltese that live in Australia and happen to love their country,

Your not correct, but think as you quoted Comments that it must be correct,   

No doubt you will get me banned........and than you have have the last word as usual.

"I was never asked to show my ID card to obtain cheaper bus fares, " exactly, you look Maltese therefore weren't asked, where as foreign residents did get asked, discrimination. You were breaking the law in not paying the non resident fares.

you may have your ID card, but you are not entitled to it, and should have handed it in to the authorities on becoming non-resident

ps my residency card is valid for life, no expiry date

i'm not a housewive ... i am one a man , so would be a house husband ... and two , i dont clean ....but you can call me what you like ...however you started this thread and having ago at the english for changing /trying to change a place you "love " so much your not even resident there .. you may be maltese by birth but if your choosing to be a resident of another country then you cannot complain about changes to your former country.

robpw2 wrote:

i'm not a housewive ... i am one a man , so would be a house husband ... and two , i dont clean ....but you can call me what you like ...however you started this thread and having ago at the english for changing /trying to change a place you "love " so much your not even resident there .. you may be maltese by birth but if your choosing to be a resident of another country then you cannot complain about changes to your former country.

And who are you say I can't comment as I not currently resident, only a citizen of my country,
Housewife / House husband what's the difference.... both stay at home and look after the kids?

Maltese by Birth wrote:
robpw2 wrote:

And who are you say I can't comment as I not currently resident, only a citizen of my country,
Housewife / House husband what's the difference.... both stay at home and look after the kids?

and is there something wrong with that?

methinks you got some serious problems mate...

you have come on here to insult people nothing more nothing less.

you claim  to love your country but dont live there. Ok there may be some very good reasosn for that.. fine.. but why the insults ?

toonarmy9752 wrote:
Maltese by Birth wrote:
robpw2 wrote:

and is there something wrong with that?

methinks you got some serious problems mate...

you have come on here to insult people nothing more nothing less.

you claim  to love your country but dont live there. Ok there may be some very good reasosn for that.. fine.. but why the insults ?

What insults? your the one that  comments "methinks you got some serious problems mate" again your the one making the remarks, I'm insulting no one, just making a comment,
Again if my point of view don't agree with yours, its OK for you to pass comment but not for me to pass comment.

I don't claim to love my country - I do, and like many Maltese there is times in our life's we don't all live In Malta, but as my children live in Malta and I have a home in Malta, I have the right to comment on my country, I'm not just passing through Malta for year or so and wanting the place to change for me...........

the kids ...... oh my god where did i leave them ..

Somehow 99% of the trolls on the Malta forum over these last years were located in Australia.

-> don't feel the troll please

Julien wrote:

Somehow 99% of the trolls on the Malta forum over these last years were located in Australia.

What does Trolls mean???

Julien wrote:

I'd like to feel him Julien............................... :mad:

Are you coming of of the closet Mike ?

Closed