New Visa

Hot Off The Wire Several Philippines RAO, Retiree Activities Offices, put up a notice several months ago about a new Courtesy SRRV that some veterans may qualify for.

After engaging in my own investigation and research, I discovered all the answers!

If you are over 50 years old, have a pension or similar benefit of over $1,000 USD, served honorably in the military, have a DD Form-214 or retired military ID card, you may be eligible for this program. You do not have to be retired military, just be a veteran.

The cost is the $1,400 USD application fee and a $1,500 USD deposit in an authorized Philippine Bank. Also, all the documentation requirements must be completed. Concerning the annual fee, some will pay $10 USD and some will pay $360, depending on if you served 2 years in the Philippines, in some capacity.

To get a heads up on the New Courtesy SRRV For Veterans, I am going to tell you the name of the woman to see and tell you right where to go! See PRA Officer in Charge, Ms. Scarlet L. Lachica, at either the PRA Office in Angeles City or the PRA Office in Subic. Ms. Lachica is at the Angeles City PRA on Monday, Wednesday and Friday and she is at the Subic PRA office on Tuesday and Thursday.

The PRA office email address is [email protected] The office mobile phone contact number is 09179853715.

With the New Courtesy SRRV For Veterans, you are allowed to go in and out of the Philippines anytime you like, without additional costs, and you may stay as long as you desire.

This is really fabulous, isnt it? No one seems to know for sure how long this new type SRRV will be available, so if you think you qualify,

I would inquire and apply ASAP!

Hello Okieboy

Thank you for sharing this piece of info!

Best Regards
Kenjee
Expat.com Team

I just had recent e-mail traffic from PRA out of Clark/Subic Office.

I re-verified the original information as posted by the original poster regarding "Courtesy SRRV" for Veterans.

YES! 

As of MAY 2015, the Courtesy SRRV is the definite way to go if you are an US Veteran with the qualifying prerequisites for the "Courtesy SRRV".

Especially if you are considered a Retiree - as so stated on your DD-214 under Block 23 "Type of Separation" - Retirement.

Age 50 or older at time of application.

Have DD-214 - Honorable

DO NOT need to have served ANY time in the Philippines during your military career - this has been waived.

Be able to produce FBI background check with no criminal history or convictions.

You do NOT need to have served the typical 20 year Retiree military career path.

You CAN be eligible for the Courtesy SRRV if under 20 years service, and RETIRED from the military under military disability retirement laws.  In other words, if your DD-214 says less than 20 years, but it also says you were Retired from service for military injuries, you are a military Retiree. 

A retirement is a retirement is a retirement.  It just has to say on your DD-214 "Retirement" under Block 23 "Type of Separation".  That's it.  Just one word - "Retirement" in Block 23.  You can get the LOWEST cost of entry price and annual renewal rate for the Courtesy SRRV.

A US military Permanent Disability Retirement List (PDRL) Retiree DOES qualify for the LOWEST reduced annual rate and will only pay the 10 USD annual renewal.

The 10 USD annual renewal fee can be paid for up to THREE years in advance, too!

If your DD-214 does NOT have "Retirement" under Block 23 - Type of Separation - then you pay 360 USD per year for your annual renewal under the Courtesy SRRV.  You don't get the annual 10 USD renewal rate, but you still qualify for the Courtesy SRRV (assuming all other PRA requirements are met).

As a single person, applying for the Courtesy SRRV requires you to demonstrate (prove) you have at least 1,000 USD in monthly income.  The monthly VA Disability Compensation Pay DOES count toward meeting this minimum monthly threshold income requirement (the threshold minimum is higher if you have spouse/kids).

I do not know how much longer the Courtesy SRRV will be available to Veterans who can currently qualify under this scheme.  PRA didn't know, either.  So there currently doesn't seem to be an expiration to these changes.  Though as we all know, things can change overnight and without much notice (if any). Windows open - windows close.

I'm "clearing the deck" of all my major obligations here in the USA and will be flying to Manila - Clark/Subic in late MAY/EARLY JUN 2016 to begin this process of acquiring the "Courtesy SRRV" as a US military disabled "Retiree".

Once approved, I will be relocating to Dumaguete and be enrolled at Silliman University using my Post 9/11 GI Bill.
(That's another thread I need to start as I haven't a clue on housing near Silliman - won't have a car).

But I thought I'd put out an update on this "Courtesy SRRV" so that your readership can be aware of the two pathways that are within this particular Visa scheme for a US Veteran. 

One pathway cost is for a Military Veteran with a DD-214 WITHOUT a designated "Retirement" status in Block 23, The other pathway cost is for a Military Veteran with a DD-214 and WITH a designated "Retirement" status in Block 23.

PDRL military retirees ARE eligible to apply for the lower cost "Courtesy SRRV" pathway, providing they meet all the other PRA requirements associated with this SRRV scheme.

V/R,
nwlivewire

Thanks for sharing.  One answer brings twenty questions. 
Can the SRRV be issued by Philippines Consulate in USA or only after arrival in Philippines?

I too am arriving Manila in late May continuing to Dumaguete.  How long did it take to receive you SRRV?

That's why I arriving to the Philippines in late MAY/early JUN 2016.

The bulk of the processing has to be done on Philippine soil.

Some of the PRA required US paperwork/document requirements can be properly notarized IAW PRA standards here in the USA.

Beyond that, "You pays your money - you takes your chances".  Meaning, once you've paid all your money for air tickets, hotel reservations, etc., and you arrive at the PRA Office, you're hoping everything is going to get approved.

I will begin taking the USA steps this Fall - at least get what I can get done here in the US before I fly to Manila.

That way, I hope to cut down some of the processing time as some of the steps will already be partially completed.

Your best bet is to get in touch with SKY LACHICA, the PRA Director at the Clark/Subic location.  I have been told that this PRA location knows how to process this particular Visa scheme. 

You'll have a better chance of dealing with competent staff that won't run you in circles and add unnecessary steps in the process that only lengthens the processing time.

I have been advised the turn-around time is 30-60 days.  That's why I want to get as much done as I can on US soil to try to reduce the processing time.

nwlivewire